Community Village and Meetups at Wikimania 2016

Re: Breakdown of attribution for scholarships

Lodewijk
Hi Isaac,

I mentioned the chapter scholarships, because they are distributed /on top of/ those distributed by the scholarships of the WMF. This is one of the reasons why the global north gets a lower percentage.

I don't know if there /are/ formulae for distribution on a lower level than global north/global south. Maybe the country is less important than what the applicants bring to the conference, and what they expect to learn there.

My point is, this is all guesswork - until we have actual data and more information.

Lodewijk

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 11:05 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Lodewijk,

You might be right but I don't see where it was published that scholarships are actually distributed through chapters. Even if that's the case, did Turkey, Central America, South America, Mexico, and the Middle East have multiple chapters? Why did Wikimedia ZA got one full and one partial scholarships? In what ratio were the scholarship shared? What is the distribution formulae? Sincerely, the sharing formulae remain a mystery to me.

Best,

Isaac

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

From: Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 22:08:01 +0100
Subject: Re: [Wikimania-l] Breakdown of attribution for scholarships

Hi Isaac,
running such statistics is always a bit tricky. You make lots of assumptions. One being that the number of serious applications is distributed in a certain way. As I understand it, the quality of the application also plays a role, which can definitely impact distribution between countries. Fact is, that there is right now simply not enough information to draw conclusions.

Also please note that many many scholarships are actually distributed through chapters - which gives even an odder distribution across countries, letting applicants in some countries benefit over the fact that there is an active office in their country that can run a budget of sufficient size. Some chapters try to compensate for that by also allowing applicants from a selection of other countries (like Poland does). So for a real analysis, one should include all these too.

Lodewijk

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 9:43 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

My understanding of Wikimania Scholarship program is that Full scholarships are subject to quotas, while there is usually no geographical or linguistic limit to partial scholarships.
However, final approval for Full Scholarships is based on the applicant's home country, each applicant will be categorized as either a Global North or Global South applicant, with the total number of scholarships distributed between the Global North and Global South being set at 25% and 75% respectively.

The Global South includes Asia (with the exception of Japan, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan), Turkey, Central America, South America, Mexico, Africa, and the Middle East (with the exception of Israel). If 124 scholarship was awarded, and 75% is expected to be awarded for global south, it means, 93 Wikimedians are expected to get the scholarship from these region. Since global south consists of Turkey, Central America, South America, Mexico, Africa, and the Middle East, then no fewer than 15 Wikimedians are expected to get scholarship from Africa. Unless I'm missing something. If only 4 Wikimedians got scholarship from Africa, where are the 89 scholarships?

Warmest regards,

Olatunde Isaac.
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

Re: Breakdown of attribution for scholarships

Nkansah Rexford
I think Ellie mentions more information on this whole selection process and whatnot will be put on the wikis soon.

I'm sure they'll provide more insight into this whole discussion, helping reducing the guesswork, I think.

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 11:05 PM, <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;reachout2isaac@gmail.com&#39;);" target="_blank">reachout2isaac@...> wrote:
Hi Lodewijk,

You might be right but I don't see where it was published that scholarships are actually distributed through chapters. Even if that's the case, did Turkey, Central America, South America, Mexico, and the Middle East have multiple chapters? Why did Wikimedia ZA got one full and one partial scholarships? In what ratio were the scholarship shared? What is the distribution formulae? Sincerely, the sharing formulae remain a mystery to me.

Best,

Isaac

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

Re: Breakdown of attribution for scholarships

Gnangarra
Call me cynical

It doesnt matter what process is published now because that  process will be adjusted to reflect what ever happened, thats neither fair nor transparent.  Just the same as Montreal was chosen first and then we were told the process was broken and needed to be changed. This appalling process bypass occurred in discussions in Mexico City,  following outrage at that a consultation appeared with a carefully chosen group, with a carefully crafted questionnaire to ensure the outcome equals what was decided earlier.

The process that started in Mexico City has created a situation where scholarships not being awarded to communities is actually a concern as being represented at Wikimania is now a critical part of being involved in future decisions affecting the community.

On 14 March 2016 at 07:17, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ellie Young

Apologies for the delay in getting this info up (it’s been busy here with getting the awards made, registration system up, etc.)  Here is some information about the WMF Scholarship program (you can contact chapters directly who are giving scholarships out e.g., WMIT, WMIL, WMDE):

Of the 401 applications that made it into Phase 2 of the review process, 124 total Scholarships were awarded (96 full and 24 partial).

Geographic regions are not the emphasis of the program.   (We cannot provide a breakdown by country since it would  essentially be releasing  personally identifying information about the scholarship recipients, which they haven’t agreed to.)

The following page has  information on 2015 and preliminary 2016 outcomes (and we are updating this page as we go):

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:TPS/Wikimania_scholars/2015_Outcomes

If people would like to suggest changes to the program, we suggest they leave comments on the Talk page of the above wiki, or email the Scholarship Committee directly at [hidden email]

Ellie Young, WMF Events Manager

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: Community Village and Meetups at Wikimania 2016

ZOKIDIN .

I good user. Be good, please.

Asaf directed that comment to Olaniyan but this is not about Olaniyan not receiving Wikimanian scholarship but the under-representation of established Wikimedia communities in Africa. Olaniyan is just one out of hundreds of contributors to Wikimedia projects from Africa. I remind you that no one is compromising the need to support and promote the creation and sharing of free knowledge in Africa.

From: Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 23:02:16 +0000
To: Gnangarra<[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Wikimania-l] Community Village and Meetups at Wikimania 2016

Your point is well noted.

"I also invite you to think about what else might be done to support and promote the creation and sharing of free knowledge in Africa, beyond awarding a few more scholarships to Africans.  I remind you that the Wikimedia Foundation is eager to support mission-aligned work, including experimentation, through the various grants programs[1], and that there is a wealth of written materials about program design and best practices[2][3][4], for African volunteers motivated to do more programmatic work in Africa.

If you would take me up on this invitation, I would love to hear your thoughts on work in Africa, beyond Wikimania scholarships.

   A.

"
Perhaps we can come together to brainstorm of ways to improve the system?

On Friday, March 11, 2016, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:
Olatunde raises a significant issue in that call for communities to participate in the community village is demoralising if communities dont have the opportunity to attend the event which is suppose to be bringing everyone together.   We have the underlying principle of sharing the sum  of all knowledge, if we dont do it internally then we cant do it successfully externally.

As for the response the process for Wikimania has been changed, in Mexico last year a decision was taken with many communities unaware and excluded from the discussion because they didnt have anyone there. With Wikmania being every 2 years its becomes more significant that all communities have representatives attend every wikimania otherwise it ends up isolating communities for 4 years from the whole of the movement.    The scholarship process is also broken and its needs to be discussed it needs to be reconsidered to allow for the changes.

On 11 March 2016 at 23:01, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nkansah Rexford, I have no idea of why you directed such a non-sequitur comment to me. Regrettably, your tone is condescending with lack of empathy. Everyone have the right to voice their concerns and you're not in the best position to criticize them. That being said, Nobody begged for Wikimania scholarship but we have the right as a community to raise concern on certain issues and that is none of your business. You're neither a chair of the scholarship committee nor the Wikimedia Foundation Events Manager. You are not in the best position to respond to this. It is always a good idea to learn to be reserved.

I don't like to say you're crude and rude but kindly have the decency to be polite when addressing your fellow Wikipedians.

Warmest regards,

Olatunde Isaac.

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

From: Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 14:30:07 +0000

The scholarships are what they are: scholarships, not ticket to heaven.

Many factors go into approving an application for scholarships. Plus, hundreds if not thousands apply for the scholarships every year. NOT everyone can be accepted. Neither will everyone be rejected.

Some will need to go this year. Others will have to wait on the turn (assuming they check all the application requirement boxes) Unfortunately, this year, Nigeria couldn't win a scholarship slot. That's unfortunate but NOT demoralising, I think. It's not as if anyone promised you a scholarship...

To say it's 'demoralising' is a strong word to use here. How is it demoralising? No one has guaranteed anyone of a scholarship should they edit Wikipedia or not.

If because you didn't get the scholarship, and you think that's demoralising and wish to stop contributing to Wikipedia, that's in your hands. However, such an approach will defeat the whole purpose behind contributing to Wikipedia.

We don't contribute to Wikipedia because we want scholarship. Rather, it's primarily for the love of contributing to the freeness and openness of knowledge globally.

Nigeria isn't the only country in the world, nor the country without a representation this year at wikimania. That doesn't mean a country representing is better than Nigeria. It simply means, there're fewer slots than the scholarship grant can handle.

Forget about demoralisation! Help improve knowledge freely and openly. I find that to be of more concern than anything at the moment.

I'll recommend we work on meeting the application criteria from now until next year and hope to be called for scholarship. Even if then we're still not called, keep making the world a better place with free knowledge.

Hi Ginevra,

No scholarship was awarded to any member of the Wikimedia User Group Nigeria. This is worrisome as Nigeria will not be represented at Wikimania. I don't think this is a good idea and I wonder why American and European countries have more representative than Africa. This is demoralizing and the community is not happy about it.

Warmest regards,

Olatunde Isaac,
Manager, Wikipedia Education Program Nigeria
Coordinator, The Wikipedia Library, Yoruba.
Secretary, Wikimedia User Group Nigeria.
Phone: <a href="tel:%2B2348166620737" value="+2348166620737" target="_blank">+2348166620737
Email: [hidden email]
User page: Wikicology
Facebook: Olatunde Olalekan Isaac.
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

Re: Breakdown of attribution for scholarships

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Ellie Young, 15/03/2016 23:18:
> Of the 401 applications that made it into Phase 2 of the review process,
>
> [...] (We cannot
> provide a breakdown by country [...])

We can however provide a breakdown of *applications* (phase 2) by region:

Africa 37
Arab States 30
Asia & Pacific 156
CIS 31