Community consultation on the future of Wikimania

Community consultation on the future of Wikimania

Josh Lim
Hi everybody,

Last October, Siko committed to a community consultation on the future of Wikimania scheduled for November.[1] However, November came and went, and nothing has happened since then.

As a matter of course, I have to ask whether the WMF is still committed to holding a community consultation on Wikimania, and if so, when.  In addition, we’d like to know what the WMF and the Wikimania Committee have been doing since what happened last October that could allay all our fears over what’s happening with the future of the community’s conference.

On behalf of the Wikimania Manila team,

Josh

JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

[hidden email] | +63 (915) 321-7582
Facebook/Twitter: akiestar | Wikimedia: Sky Harbor
http://about.me/josh.lim

Re: Community consultation on the future of Wikimania

Ellie Young
Josh,

A lot of work has gone into preparing for  the consultation.    It will be going out December 14.  We are looking forward to getting everyone's feedback in the weeks after and into early January.

Ellie

On Dec 2, 2015, at 8:11 PM, Josh Lim <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Community consultation on the future of Wikimania

Austin Hair
On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 5:11 PM, Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A lot of work has gone into preparing for  the consultation.    It will be going out December 14.  We are looking forward to getting everyone's feedback in the weeks after and into early January.

Is there a particular reason it's being delayed until the 14th?

Austin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Community consultation on the future of Wikimania

Risker

On 3 December 2015 at 14:21, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 5:11 PM, Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A lot of work has gone into preparing for  the consultation.    It will be going out December 14.  We are looking forward to getting everyone's feedback in the weeks after and into early January.

Is there a particular reason it's being delayed until the 14th?

Perhaps because that would be close to the end of the Harassment consultation, which is also being managed by other sections of the Community Engagement department? And also after the Community Tech Wishlist consultation?  I'm thrilled to see so many attempts to reach out to the community, but on the other hand if the community is asked to consult on too many things at once, it can have a limiting effect on participation.  Running three major community consultations all at the same time could turn out to be counterproductive, especially at a time of year when so many community members are also deeply involved in activities within their personal life.

Risker/Anne

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Community consultation on the future of Wikimania

Siko Bouterse

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 3 December 2015 at 14:21, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 5:11 PM, Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A lot of work has gone into preparing for  the consultation.    It will be going out December 14.  We are looking forward to getting everyone's feedback in the weeks after and into early January.

Is there a particular reason it's being delayed until the 14th?

Perhaps because that would be close to the end of the Harassment consultation, which is also being managed by other sections of the Community Engagement department? And also after the Community Tech Wishlist consultation?  I'm thrilled to see so many attempts to reach out to the community, but on the other hand if the community is asked to consult on too many things at once, it can have a limiting effect on participation.  Running three major community consultations all at the same time could turn out to be counterproductive, especially at a time of year when so many community members are also deeply involved in activities within their personal life.

I share your concern, Risker, about how many consultations we can ask volunteers to spend time on at once, and so one factor in timing decisions is that we are trying to space these out as best we can.

Another reason for the delay is less strategic and more tactical, though - the team members working on the Wikimania consultation have also been juggling a number of other priorities internally, some of them unexpected (or taking more time/energy than we had expected). And the more I dig into the topic of Wikimania's future, the more I recognize just how big this topic is, and how many different inputs and areas there could be to consult on...so I hope you'll understand why we've chosen to spend a bit more time thinking it through before launching, in hopes that the ensuing discussion will be as productive as possible.

As Ellie says, the consultation now is scheduled for 15 December 15 - 18 January, and will focus as previously discussed on a future for Wikimania 2018 and beyond.

Thanks for asking and making sure we're still working on this,
Siko

--
Siko Bouterse
Director of Community Resources

[hidden email]

Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
Donate or click the "edit" button today, and help us make it a reality!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Community consultation on the future of Wikimania

Lane Rasberry
Thanks - I look forward to this.

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 7:46 PM, Siko Bouterse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 3 December 2015 at 14:21, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 5:11 PM, Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A lot of work has gone into preparing for  the consultation.    It will be going out December 14.  We are looking forward to getting everyone's feedback in the weeks after and into early January.

Is there a particular reason it's being delayed until the 14th?

Perhaps because that would be close to the end of the Harassment consultation, which is also being managed by other sections of the Community Engagement department? And also after the Community Tech Wishlist consultation?  I'm thrilled to see so many attempts to reach out to the community, but on the other hand if the community is asked to consult on too many things at once, it can have a limiting effect on participation.  Running three major community consultations all at the same time could turn out to be counterproductive, especially at a time of year when so many community members are also deeply involved in activities within their personal life.

I share your concern, Risker, about how many consultations we can ask volunteers to spend time on at once, and so one factor in timing decisions is that we are trying to space these out as best we can.

Another reason for the delay is less strategic and more tactical, though - the team members working on the Wikimania consultation have also been juggling a number of other priorities internally, some of them unexpected (or taking more time/energy than we had expected). And the more I dig into the topic of Wikimania's future, the more I recognize just how big this topic is, and how many different inputs and areas there could be to consult on...so I hope you'll understand why we've chosen to spend a bit more time thinking it through before launching, in hopes that the ensuing discussion will be as productive as possible.

As Ellie says, the consultation now is scheduled for 15 December 15 - 18 January, and will focus as previously discussed on a future for Wikimania 2018 and beyond.

Thanks for asking and making sure we're still working on this,
Siko

--
Siko Bouterse
Director of Community Resources
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

[hidden email]

Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
Donate or click the "edit" button today, and help us make it a reality!

Lane Rasberry
user:bluerasberry on Wikipedia
206.801.0814

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 8:33 PM, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3 December 2015 at 14:21, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 5:11 PM, Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > A lot of work has gone into preparing for  the consultation.    It will
>> > be going out December 14.  We are looking forward to getting everyone's
>> > feedback in the weeks after and into early January.
>>
>> Is there a particular reason it's being delayed until the 14th?
>>

> Perhaps because that would be close to the end of the Harassment
> consultation, which is also being managed by other sections of the Community
> Engagement department? And also after the Community Tech Wishlist
> consultation?  I'm thrilled to see so many attempts to reach out to the
> community, but on the other hand if the community is asked to consult on too
> many things at once, it can have a limiting effect on participation.
> Running three major community consultations all at the same time could turn
> out to be counterproductive, especially at a time of year when so many
> community members are also deeply involved in activities within their
> personal life.

Okay, no need to get antagonistic.

An e-mail was cross-posted to two lists I manage (wikimedia-l and
wikimania-l) about a topic I have a long-standing (i.e., since 2004)
interest in. I was curious about the specific timing, as if it were
something that had to be managed on a 9-to-5 office schedule.

For my money, I don't think that the community is so mentally taxed
(or, for that matter, so closely intermingled) that they need a break
between talking about technical issues and our international
conference. (And, for that matter, that this issue isn't being
"managed" the other way around.) But if this is the official
justification, so be it—that's all I asked.

Austin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Community consultation on the future of Wikimania

Gnangarra
I would be nice for the original schedule to have been followed or contact made, it would also have been nice to have been conatcted about the delay especially as a one of the people who followed the procedure in place and started a bid of 2017, was then told that wasnt being followed but that 2018 was a possability as such I passed that along to those who helped construct the bid these delays are both frustrating and making the people on the ground look unprofessional just get on with it....

As for 14 december - 18 January time lkine well we know for many people that period is the worst time of year traditionally our lowest editting and participation rates occur over this holiday period, capped off with the Wikipedia 15 demands the chances of devoting significant time to this will be harder than trying to follow two consultations at once

On 5 December 2015 at 02:28, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 8:33 PM, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3 December 2015 at 14:21, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 5:11 PM, Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > A lot of work has gone into preparing for  the consultation.    It will
>> > be going out December 14.  We are looking forward to getting everyone's
>> > feedback in the weeks after and into early January.
>>
>> Is there a particular reason it's being delayed until the 14th?
>>

> Perhaps because that would be close to the end of the Harassment
> consultation, which is also being managed by other sections of the Community
> Engagement department? And also after the Community Tech Wishlist
> consultation?  I'm thrilled to see so many attempts to reach out to the
> community, but on the other hand if the community is asked to consult on too
> many things at once, it can have a limiting effect on participation.
> Running three major community consultations all at the same time could turn
> out to be counterproductive, especially at a time of year when so many
> community members are also deeply involved in activities within their
> personal life.

Okay, no need to get antagonistic.

An e-mail was cross-posted to two lists I manage (wikimedia-l and
wikimania-l) about a topic I have a long-standing (i.e., since 2004)
interest in. I was curious about the specific timing, as if it were
something that had to be managed on a 9-to-5 office schedule.

For my money, I don't think that the community is so mentally taxed
(or, for that matter, so closely intermingled) that they need a break
between talking about technical issues and our international
conference. (And, for that matter, that this issue isn't being
"managed" the other way around.) But if this is the official
justification, so be it—that's all I asked.

Austin

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 2:55 PM, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would be nice for the original schedule to have been followed or contact made, it would also have been nice to have been conatcted about the delay especially as a one of the people who followed the procedure in place and started a bid of 2017, was then told that wasnt being followed but that 2018 was a possability as such I passed that along to those who helped construct the bid these delays are both frustrating and making the people on the ground look unprofessional just get on with it....

As for 14 december - 18 January time lkine well we know for many people that period is the worst time of year traditionally our lowest editting and participation rates occur over this holiday period, capped off with the Wikipedia 15 demands the chances of devoting significant time to this will be harder than trying to follow two consultations at once

I understand your frustration with the delay, but again, spacing of consultations wasn't the only factor in the updated timeline - please see my last post. Given this, the alternative would be to not launch until later in January, which is an option I like even less. I'm actually pretty curious to see how much participation we'll get during that 4 week window. It is a longer window than we'd likely have gone with for a consultation at other times of year because we, too, wondered what impact the seasonality will have. Participation is something we monitor closely in consultations and we've got a few other baselines to compare this one with, so I expect we'll be able to test your assumption and course-correct if needed based on the information at hand. Thanks for flagging this particular concern, we'll be keeping an eye on it as well.

On 5 December 2015 at 02:28, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 8:33 PM, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3 December 2015 at 14:21, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 5:11 PM, Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > A lot of work has gone into preparing for  the consultation.    It will
>> > be going out December 14.  We are looking forward to getting everyone's
>> > feedback in the weeks after and into early January.
>>
>> Is there a particular reason it's being delayed until the 14th?
>>

> Perhaps because that would be close to the end of the Harassment
> consultation, which is also being managed by other sections of the Community
> Engagement department? And also after the Community Tech Wishlist
> consultation?  I'm thrilled to see so many attempts to reach out to the
> community, but on the other hand if the community is asked to consult on too
> many things at once, it can have a limiting effect on participation.
> Running three major community consultations all at the same time could turn
> out to be counterproductive, especially at a time of year when so many
> community members are also deeply involved in activities within their
> personal life.

Okay, no need to get antagonistic.

An e-mail was cross-posted to two lists I manage (wikimedia-l and
wikimania-l) about a topic I have a long-standing (i.e., since 2004)
interest in. I was curious about the specific timing, as if it were
something that had to be managed on a 9-to-5 office schedule.

For my money, I don't think that the community is so mentally taxed
(or, for that matter, so closely intermingled) that they need a break
between talking about technical issues and our international
conference. (And, for that matter, that this issue isn't being
"managed" the other way around.) But if this is the official
justification, so be it—that's all I asked.

Austin

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia

Siko Bouterse
Director of Community Resources
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

[hidden email]

Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
Donate or click the "edit" button today, and help us make it a reality!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Community consultation on the future of Wikimania

Florence Devouard-3
Le 03/12/15 20:21, Austin Hair a écrit :

> On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 5:11 PM, Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> A lot of work has gone into preparing for  the consultation.    It will be going out December 14.  We are looking forward to getting everyone's feedback in the weeks after and into early January.
>
> Is there a particular reason it's being delayed until the 14th?
>
> Austin

Hello

I do not know if this is the only reason, but whilst the consultation is
proposed by WMF, the steering committee has been invited to comment and
to propose any modification that members would think needed (I answered
by email to this request).
I believe the additional days is simply to make sure that some
stakeholders review the current proposition to make sure that it is the
clearest and most comprehensive one before it is open to community
input. Call it review of the consultation ?

Flo