Comparisons to Confluence (was Minimalist MediaWiki? (was Re: Merge Vector extension into core))

Re: Corporate needs are different (RE: How can we help Corporations use MW?)

bawolff
On 2013-02-08 2:28 PM, "Sumana Harihareswara" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/08/2013 01:23 PM, Daniel Barrett wrote:
> >> also we have SemanticMediaWiki.
> >
> > We started looking into Semantic MediaWiki - it has impressive features.
> > But we got scared off by stories that it slows down the
> > wiki too much. Maybe we should give it another look.
> >
> > DanB
>
> A recent improvement in SMW is the new database structure for Semantic
> MediaWiki, SMWSQLStore3 -- this makes SMW faster and more efficient.
>
> http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Semantic_MediaWiki_1.8
>
> It got released 2 December 2012.  So yeah, check it out.
>
> (Shout-out to Nischay Nahata who led that work as his 2012 Summer of
> Code project.)
>
> --
> Sumana Harihareswara
> Engineering Community Manager
> Wikimedia Foundation

I know nothing of smw, but surely using an rdf store backend ( which from
what i understand has been supported for quite some time) would be more
efficient than a relational db backend, no matter how optimized that
backend might be.

-bawolff

Re: Corporate needs are different (RE: How can we help Corporations use MW?)

Jeroen De Dauw-2
Hey,

We started looking into Semantic MediaWiki - it has impressive features.
> But we got scared off by stories that it slows down the
> wiki too much. Maybe we should give it another look.

You _can_ abuse SMW in a way that it will kill performance on your wiki. If
you use it in a sane fashion, it does not greatly affect performance. Sure
there is room for improvement in some places, though it is certainly
nowhere near being unusable due to performance issues, as i clearly
demonstrated by many people using it very effectively. So though such
stories due have a kernel of truth, they tend to be propagated by people
not really knowing what they are talking about and tend to portray things
bleaker then they actually are.

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw
http://www.bn2vs.com

Re: Corporate needs are different (RE: How can we help Corporations use MW?)

lee worden
On 02/08/2013 10:23 AM, Daniel Barrett wrote:

>> O_O $10000 excel-to-html? O_OOO
>> >Why not just copy-paste into for example wikEd (google://wikEd)? :-))) Not that beautiful, but it works.
>
> Now, I will demonstrate what I mean by "Corporate needs are different." :-)
>
> With our extension, the Excel spreadsheet is rendered "live" in the wiki page.
> So if somebody updates the spreadsheet (on a network drive), the wiki page is
> automatically and instantly up to date!  This is totally different from a one-time
> copy-and-paste, and much more maintainable. (And it's pretty fast too, with AJAX and good caching.)
>
> Even better, if your spreadsheet generates a graph or chart, the image gets embedded
> in the wiki page too, and is automatically kept up to date.  And if your spreadsheet
> calls out to a database for its data, to generate the chart, then the wiki is updated
> when the database changes too! Suddenly, MediaWiki has all the charting capability of
> Excel + SQL.  This is very powerful and definitely worth $10K for a highly analytical
> company like ours.
>
> We've had this feature for about 2 months, and so far we have 350+ articles with
> embedded spreadsheets, updated "live."

As an aside, you could almost certainly do this cheaper with
WorkingWiki.  If you can write a make rule to retrieve the Excel file
from the network drive and make it into html and image files (and maybe
a little wikitext to format the page), you're done.

LW

Re: Corporate needs are different (RE: How can we help Corporations use MW?)

vitalif
> In practice, we have found this doesn't work well for us (with
> thousands of employees).

Yeah, our company doesn't have thousands of employees :-)

> Each department winds up writing its own wiki page about the same
> topic (say, Topic X), and they're all different.

So it means most of your departments work on something very similar?
Probably we don't have this problem because our departments and
projects strongly differ, so everyone just writes their specific
articles to their own wikis and general information to the primary
"CustisWiki".
We have ~7 wikis for the whole company (~200 employees).

> Users don't know which one is the "real" or "right" article.
> We find it better to have one central wiki with one definitive
> article per topic.
> No redundancy, no coupling, and no version skew between wikis.

Just an idea - you can also setup the replication process between wikis
to ease fighting

> Thanks, I'll check it out. Categorization can get very complicated on
> a MediaWiki system though.
> Consider this fairly simple template example:
>
> {{#if:{{{department|}}} | [[Category:{{{department}}} projects]]}}
>
> I would be amazed if any global search-and-replace could handle this!

Such examples of course are much harder, but if there is not much
chaos, you can handle it with regexps... Not a task for an average user,
but he can ask someone who knows regexps to do it :-)

> With our extension, the Excel spreadsheet is rendered "live" in the
> wiki page.

Ooh, I see, of course it's a big feature!
Also another question - didn't you try to use some automation using
excel itself to save xls as an html?

> We started looking into Semantic MediaWiki - it has impressive
> features.
> But we got scared off by stories that it slows down the
> wiki too much. Maybe we should give it another look.

As someone already said, it should not affect performance noticeably if
you don't abuse it.
And also, even if use abuse it - it has a very good feature: "concept
caching", i.e. caching of semantic query results with correct
invalidation (as I understand it has some limitations though).
(http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Concept_caching)

Overall, it's very nice to see that a big company like yours has
successful MediaWiki usage experience (I assume it's successful, yeah?
:))

Do you have any extensions or modifications that you would like to make
public & free & open source? Or maybe you even already did it with
something? :-)

Re: Corporate needs are different (RE: How can we help Corporations use MW?)

Antoine Musso-3
Le 08/02/13 21:51, Lee Worden a écrit :

> As an aside, you could almost certainly do this cheaper with
> WorkingWiki.  If you can write a make rule to retrieve the Excel file
> from the network drive and make it into html and image files (and maybe
> a little wikitext to format the page), you're done.

In big companies, 10 000$ is cheap. Plus I bet they get a support
contract coming in.  Overall, that is probably cheaper than paying an
internal software developer to integrate and then maintain the
WorkingWiki solution.

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

Re: Corporate needs are different (RE: How can we help Corporations use MW?)

Platonides
On 08/02/13 21:51, Lee Worden wrote:
> As an aside, you could almost certainly do this cheaper with
> WorkingWiki.  If you can write a make rule to retrieve the Excel file
> from the network drive and make it into html and image files (and maybe
> a little wikitext to format the page), you're done.
>
> LW

You could do it with openoffice.org/libreoffice, although I agree that
getting all the dependencies right for running in the server is a bit
tedious. You can also use Excel itself for that (eg. COM automation), as
suggested by vitalif, supposing you are using a Windows server.

Re: Corporate needs are different (RE: How can we help Corporations use MW?)

David Gerard-2
On 9 February 2013 23:00, Platonides <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You could do it with openoffice.org/libreoffice, although I agree that
> getting all the dependencies right for running in the server is a bit
> tedious. You can also use Excel itself for that (eg. COM automation), as
> suggested by vitalif, supposing you are using a Windows server.

You can in fact automate OO/LO in this manner. We do this at work (an
application that has to turn RTF and DOC into PDFs; if you want a
fighting chance of rendering Word files, you need something of
comparable size to Word). Not fast (and we never could get daemon mode
working) so cache your results.

- d.

On 02/09/2013 03:00 PM, Platonides wrote:

> On 08/02/13 21:51, Lee Worden wrote:
>> As an aside, you could almost certainly do this cheaper with
>> WorkingWiki.  If you can write a make rule to retrieve the Excel file
>> from the network drive and make it into html and image files (and maybe
>> a little wikitext to format the page), you're done.
>>
>> LW
>
> You could do it with openoffice.org/libreoffice, although I agree that
> getting all the dependencies right for running in the server is a bit
> tedious. You can also use Excel itself for that (eg. COM automation), as
> suggested by vitalif, supposing you are using a Windows server.

Yes, something like that is what I had in mind.

On 02/09/2013 11:06 AM, Antoine Musso wrote:
 > In big companies, 10 000$ is cheap. Plus I bet they get a support
 > contract coming in.  Overall, that is probably cheaper than paying an
 > internal software developer to integrate and then maintain the
 > WorkingWiki solution.
 >
 > -- Antoine "hashar" Musso

True.  Others who operate less formally might find it a welcome option,
OTOH.
LW

Re: Corporate needs are different (RE: How can we help Corporations use MW?)

Daniel Barrett-3
Platonides (and others) offered comments like:
>You could do [Excel to HTML] with openoffice.org/libreoffice,
>although I agree that getting all the dependencies right for running in the server is a bit tedious.
>You can also use Excel itself for that (eg. COM automation), as suggested by vitalif...

My team investigated several Excel-to-HTML solutions, including openoffice.org, Excel itself, a free converter on Google Code, etc. The clear winner was Aspose (www.aspose.com), running under Mono, for ease of automation with MediaWiki and quality of results. Relatively expensive but it works great.

DanB

Re: Corporate needs are different (RE: How can we help Corporations use MW?)

Daniel Barrett-3
>> Each department winds up writing its own wiki page about the same
>> topic (say, Topic X), and they're all different.

>So it means most of your departments work on something very similar?

Not exactly. Each team treats its wiki as "The" wiki, and they create general-purpose articles like "How to request a day off from your manager" and "Where is the company cafeteria" that apply to the whole company. Individual writers do not think about the big picture, that general-purpose articles might belong a different, general-purpose wiki. They just want to get their job done quickly.  So these kinds of articles get written in the wrong wiki, or in several wikis at once, and they drift out of sync.  With a single, central wiki, this is much less likely.

Imagine if Wikipedia had a separate wiki for every city in the world. The same problem would result.

>Do you have any extensions or modifications that you would like to make public & free & open source?
>Or maybe you even already did it with something? :-)

Indeed, we are working out a way to open-source some of our extensions.

DanB

Re: Corporate needs are different (RE: How can we help Corporations use MW?)

Tei-2
The bad thing about corporate users is that have special needs, the
good thing is that are willing to pay for a service. Maybe somebody
should start selling that service (in the form of a "package",
"mediawiki distro", or other mode).

My company uses GoogleDocs, but we are developers, so we don't have
the mindset of the people that share photos inside .doc files.
Apparently you can embed googledocs in html.
http://en.support.wordpress.com/google-docs/

It would be natural for us to find a way to embed google docs in a
wiki,... but we don't need to, because a simple link is enough.

ℱin del ℳensaje.

Re: Corporate needs are different (RE: How can we help Corporations use MW?)

S Page-3
On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Daniel Barrett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 1. A desire for a department to have "their own space" on the wiki.

I assume you looked at enabling subpages in the main namespace?[1]
That way Human Resources/Payroll/Show_me_the_money gets a nice
breadcrumb up to Payroll and Human Resources landing pages.  You can
encourage people to create subpages rather than making yet another
top-level page by putting [Create page] forms on landing pages  that
use a local template[2] and prepend the local hierarchy.

> I'm not talking about access control, but (1) customized look & feel, and (2) ability to narrow searches to find articles only within that space.

(1) Code could infer subpage hierarchy and apply CSS from a
corresponding CSS hierarchy.

(2) Add prefix: to the searches to search subpages, you can make a
form for it[3].  Also Special:PrefixIndex can be helpful, e.g. just
listing all subpages of the current landing page:
  == Subpages of {{FULLPAGENAME}}==
  {{Special:PrefixIndex/{{FULLPAGENAME}}/}}

Cheers,

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgNamespacesWithSubpages

[2] something like
<inputbox>
type=create
preload=Template:Human Resources meeting
buttonlabel=Create a new page for a Human Resources meeting
default=Human Resources/Meetings/{{CURRENTYEAR}}-{{CURRENTMONTH}}-{{CURRENTDAY}}
width=40
bgcolor=#f0f0ff
</inputbox>

[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Search_box and similar.

--
=S Page  software engineer on Editor Engagement Experiments

Re: Corporate needs are different (RE: How can we help Corporations use MW?)

Brian Wolff
On 2013-02-12 12:55 AM, "S Page" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Daniel Barrett <[hidden email]>

> > 1. A desire for a department to have "their own space" on the wiki.
>
> I assume you looked at enabling subpages in the main namespace?[1]
> That way Human Resources/Payroll/Show_me_the_money gets a nice
> breadcrumb up to Payroll and Human Resources landing pages.  You can
> encourage people to create subpages rather than making yet another
> top-level page by putting [Create page] forms on landing pages  that
> use a local template[2] and prepend the local hierarchy.
>
> > I'm not talking about access control, but (1) customized look & feel,
and (2) ability to narrow searches to find articles only within that space.

> (1) Code could infer subpage hierarchy and apply CSS from a
> corresponding CSS hierarchy.
>
> (2) Add prefix: to the searches to search subpages, you can make a
> form for it[3].

It should be noted that that doesnt work out of the box but needs
lucene/MWSearch extension.

For subpages to really fill this use case I think the page title would have
to show only (or primarily emphasize) the subpage name instead of the full
page name.

Also it sounds like in such a use case, one would want links to be relative
to the current path first. If on page a/b/c you would want [[foo]] to link
to a/b/foo if it exists and link to just foo if that page does not exist.

I think a good take away from this thread is that mediawiki has a lot of
featuters that almost fit the bill but don't quite fully.

-bawolff

On 12/02/13 06:26, Brian Wolff wrote:
> For subpages to really fill this use case I think the page title would have
> to show only (or primarily emphasize) the subpage name instead of the full
> page name.

I think it has been brought up in the past, there may be an extension
doing that.

> Also it sounds like in such a use case, one would want links to be relative
> to the current path first. If on page a/b/c you would want [[foo]] to link
> to a/b/foo if it exists and link to just foo if that page does not exist.

And where should the red-link send you to?
That may be more confusing for some users.

We have ../ links, perhaps add also ./ ?

Re: Corporate needs are different (RE: How can we help Corporations use MW?)

Daniel Barrett-3
I wished for:
>> 1. A desire for a department to have "their own space" on the wiki.

S Page asked:
>I assume you looked at enabling subpages in the main namespace?[1]
>That way Human Resources/Payroll/Show_me_the_money gets a nice breadcrumb up to Payroll
>and Human Resources landing pages.

Interesting idea, but I think subpages also bring penalties that are pretty significant. I discuss these in my book (http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596519681.do):

- Linking to subpages is quite cumbersome. The names get very long, and you wind up doing lots of [[foo/bar/blat/a/b/c | alt text]] links which add complexity to editing the page.  We find that this discourages people from adding links to pages.

- When you enable subpages for a large community, they start using them instead of categories.  In other words, users now have a choice between putting "Benefits" in the Human Resources category, or creating "Human Resources/Benefits." As a result, some Benefits pages end up in the Benefits category while others end up as subpages, making the "Benefits" category incomplete.  An incomplete category can be worse than no category at all, because people look in it, don't find what they want, and assume it doesn't exist. Also, I'd rather have a category with 200 members than a page with 200 subpages.

- MediaWiki's UI does not indicate whether a page has subpages. There are extensions to solve this, but I haven't found one that integrates seamlessly into the user's daily experience the way (say) category links do.

For our large wiki, we decided that subpages in the main namespace are not worth these disadvantages.

Hope this was interesting,
DanB

Re: Corporate needs are different (RE: How can we help Corporations use MW?)

Mark A. Hershberger-2
On 02/11/2013 11:25 AM, Daniel Barrett wrote:
> Imagine if Wikipedia had a separate wiki for every city in the world. The same problem would result.

I find it is easier to imagine what would happen if each language had a
separate Wikipedia.  We would end up with slightly different facts
maintained on each wiki.

Imagine the chaos!

;)

--
http://hexmode.com/

There is no path to peace. Peace is the path.
   -- Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

Re: Corporate needs are different (RE: How can we help Corporations use MW?)

Marco Fleckinger-2

On 02/12/2013 05:30 PM, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> On 02/11/2013 11:25 AM, Daniel Barrett wrote:
>> Imagine if Wikipedia had a separate wiki for every city in the world. The same problem would result.
>
> I find it is easier to imagine what would happen if each language had a
> separate Wikipedia.  We would end up with slightly different facts
> maintained on each wiki.

Come on, this will be a similar discussion of what is the NPOV
concerning the Falkland island on the English and the Spanish Wikipedia.
IMHO each community should organize his wiki on it's own. Meta,
Mediawiki, Commons and Wikidata already have interlanguage-communities
and I think this doesn't work bad.

Wikidata will be a bit different because it will integrate itself into
the wikis' structures. Therefore I think that there will be discussion.
So it's really great that the developers let the consumers the choice if
they wanted to use wikidata or not.

Cheers

Marco

On 2013-02-13 11:27 AM, "Marco Fleckinger" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 02/12/2013 05:30 PM, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
>>
>> On 02/11/2013 11:25 AM, Daniel Barrett wrote:
>>>
>>> Imagine if Wikipedia had a separate wiki for every city in the world.
The same problem would result.

>> I find it is easier to imagine what would happen if each language had a
>> separate Wikipedia.  We would end up with slightly different facts
>> maintained on each wiki.
>>
> Come on, this will be a similar discussion of what is the NPOV concerning
the Falkland island on the English and the Spanish Wikipedia. IMHO each
community should organize his wiki on it's own. Meta, Mediawiki, Commons
and Wikidata already have interlanguage-communities and I think this
doesn't work bad.

> Wikidata will be a bit different because it will integrate itself into
the wikis' structures. Therefore I think that there will be discussion. So
it's really great that the developers let the consumers the choice if they
wanted to use wikidata or not.

> Cheers
>
> Marco

I think you missed the point of the previous email.

-bawolff

Re: Corporate needs are different (RE: How can we help Corporations use MW?)

Maria Miteva
Hi everyone,

I guess this would not directly solve any of the problems listed, but would
it be helpful to bring back to life
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Enterprise_hub ? It was started by somebody
an year or two ago but seems to have been abandoned at a draft stage. I am
thinking if everybody adds some information about extensions/pages they
find particularly useful in the enterprise world, it will help future users
but also help current enterprise wikis exchange experience.  Does this seem
worthwhile?

Mariya

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:38 PM, Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2013-02-13 11:27 AM, "Marco Fleckinger" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> The same problem would result.
> >>

> >> I find it is easier to imagine what would happen if each language had a
> >> separate Wikipedia.  We would end up with slightly different facts
> >> maintained on each wiki.
> >>
> > Come on, this will be a similar discussion of what is the NPOV concerning
> the Falkland island on the English and the Spanish Wikipedia. IMHO each
> community should organize his wiki on it's own. Meta, Mediawiki, Commons
> and Wikidata already have interlanguage-communities and I think this
> doesn't work bad.
> >
> > Wikidata will be a bit different because it will integrate itself into
> the wikis' structures. Therefore I think that there will be discussion. So
> it's really great that the developers let the consumers the choice if they
> wanted to use wikidata or not.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Marco
> >

> I think you missed the point of the previous email.
>
> -bawolff

Re: Corporate needs are different (RE: How can we help Corporations use MW?)

vitalif
> I guess this would not directly solve any of the problems listed, but
> would
> it be helpful to bring back to life
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Enterprise_hub ? It was started by
> somebody
> an year or two ago but seems to have been abandoned at a draft stage.
> I am
> thinking if everybody adds some information about extensions/pages
> they
> find particularly useful in the enterprise world, it will help future
> users
> but also help current enterprise wikis exchange experience.  Does
> this seem
> worthwhile?

IMHO there are so much useful extensions that I think it can be a
little much for that page.

For example if I edited that article I would put almost all extensions
from our distribution there... so I'm documenting them on
http://wiki.4intra.net/Category:Mediawiki4Intranet_extensions :-)