Comparisons to Confluence (was Minimalist MediaWiki? (was Re: Merge Vector extension into core))

Re: Corporate needs are different (RE: How can we help Corporations use MW?)

Dmitriy Sintsov
On 14.02.2013 21:14, [hidden email] wrote:

>> I guess this would not directly solve any of the problems listed, but
>> would
>> it be helpful to bring back to life
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Enterprise_hub ? It was started by
>> somebody
>> an year or two ago but seems to have been abandoned at a draft stage.
>> I am
>> thinking if everybody adds some information about extensions/pages they
>> find particularly useful in the enterprise world, it will help future
>> users
>> but also help current enterprise wikis exchange experience. Does this
>> seem
>> worthwhile?
>
> IMHO there are so much useful extensions that I think it can be a
> little much for that page.
>
> For example if I edited that article I would put almost all extensions
> from our distribution there... so I'm documenting them on
> http://wiki.4intra.net/Category:Mediawiki4Intranet_extensions :-)

The question is, how much they are stable and secure. MediaWiki is
high-quality software that should not be impaired by low-quality
extension. Also, when extension is unmaintained, it's stability and
security becomes questional as well.
Also, I remember for major MW extensions scalability is the big problem.
Efficient SQL queries, using APC / Memcached cache, not invalidating
parser cache too often. For example my own Extension:QPoll is not
well-scaling requiring some major rewrites. That applies to many of
another extensions as well.
Dmitriy

Re: Corporate needs are different (RE: How can we help Corporations use MW?)

Maria Miteva
Hi,

There are so many extensions useful to the enterprise but probably also so
many which are not useful at all or not maintained and if I wanted to start
a corporate wiki right now I would probably be very lost what to look at
and how people do things, so it seemed like a good idea to list the
extensions that ARE actually used. Also, I guess one team solved a certain
problem one way, while another solved it differenty, using a different
extension or set of extensions, so writing this out might help everybody
get new ideas/ avoid reinventing the wheel. But I guess I either asked on
the wrong list or there is not much interest at all.

Mariya

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 9:06 PM, Dmitriy Sintsov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14.02.2013 21:14, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> I guess this would not directly solve any of the problems listed, but
>>> would
>>> it be helpful to bring back to life
>>> https://www.mediawiki.org/**wiki/Enterprise_hub<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Enterprise_hub>? It was started by somebody
>>> an year or two ago but seems to have been abandoned at a draft stage. I
>>> am
>>> thinking if everybody adds some information about extensions/pages they
>>> find particularly useful in the enterprise world, it will help future
>>> users
>>> but also help current enterprise wikis exchange experience. Does this
>>> seem
>>> worthwhile?
>>>

>> IMHO there are so much useful extensions that I think it can be a little
>> much for that page.
>>
>> For example if I edited that article I would put almost all extensions
>> from our distribution there... so I'm documenting them on
>> http://wiki.4intra.net/**Category:Mediawiki4Intranet_**extensions<http://wiki.4intra.net/Category:Mediawiki4Intranet_extensions>:-)
>>
>>  The question is, how much they are stable and secure. MediaWiki is
> high-quality software that should not be impaired by low-quality extension.
> Also, when extension is unmaintained, it's stability and security becomes
> questional as well.
> Also, I remember for major MW extensions scalability is the big problem.
> Efficient SQL queries, using APC / Memcached cache, not invalidating parser
> cache too often. For example my own Extension:QPoll is not well-scaling
> requiring some major rewrites. That applies to many of another extensions
> as well.
> Dmitriy

Re: Corporate needs are different (RE: How can we help Corporations use MW?)

vitalif
> There are so many extensions useful to the enterprise but probably
> also so
> many which are not useful at all or not maintained and if I wanted to
> start
> a corporate wiki right now I would probably be very lost what to look
> at
> and how people do things, so it seemed like a good idea to list the
> extensions that ARE actually used. Also, I guess one team solved a
> certain
> problem one way, while another solved it differenty, using a
> different
> extension or set of extensions, so writing this out might help
> everybody
> get new ideas/ avoid reinventing the wheel. But I guess I either
> asked on
> the wrong list or there is not much interest at all.

So, you're talking about some "basic set" of extensions that are
thought to be definitely useful for ALL people?

It may be useful, but I think that it anyway may require testing of a
complete distribution (MW version X + all these extensions) to recommend
it to companies... And this returns us to the idea of a "pre-built"
distribution like our one :-))