Concerning edit conflict lag

Wiki Dudeman
I wanted to propose a chance concerning how edit conflicts work. I am not sure what mailing list this should be done on so I'm just posting it here since I know that it's at least on English Wikipedia. The problem is this: Whenever I edit a specific subsection of a page and there is an edit conflict, it reloads the entire page in edit mode, not just the single section that I edited which the edit conflict occurred. This causes problems for two reasons. Firstly, Even though I am using a cable modem, it still causes a high amount of lag and time to load large pages in edit mode, sometimes it even freezes my firefox browser. Secondly, While it loads the entire page in edit mode, if another edit occurs while I'm resolving the edit conflict, I am forced to do it again and again since the chances of an edit conflict occurring are much greater when editing an entire page opposed to a single section. My question is this: Is it possible to cause edit conflicts to only load the
 single section edited opposed to the entire page? For instance if I edit a subsection of the Admin notice board page and I get an edit conflict, I don't want it to load the entire notice board page in edit mode, just the single section that I edited so that I can quickly fix it. Is this possible?

Re: Concerning edit conflict lag

John Reaves
You probably want http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/ or the tech list (I'm not
sure of the address).

--John Reaves

On Nov 12, 2007 10:34 AM, Wiki Dudeman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wanted to propose a chance concerning how edit conflicts work. I am not
> sure what mailing list this should be done on so I'm just posting it here
> since I know that it's at least on English Wikipedia. The problem is this:
> Whenever I edit a specific subsection of a page and there is an edit
> conflict, it reloads the entire page in edit mode, not just the single
> section that I edited which the edit conflict occurred. This causes problems
> for two reasons. Firstly, Even though I am using a cable modem, it still
> causes a high amount of lag and time to load large pages in edit mode,
> sometimes it even freezes my firefox browser. Secondly, While it loads the
> entire page in edit mode, if another edit occurs while I'm resolving the
> edit conflict, I am forced to do it again and again since the chances of an
> edit conflict occurring are much greater when editing an entire page opposed
> to a single section. My question is this: Is it possible to cause edit
> conflicts to only load the
>  single section edited opposed to the entire page? For instance if I edit
> a subsection of the Admin notice board page and I get an edit conflict, I
> don't want it to load the entire notice board page in edit mode, just the
> single section that I edited so that I can quickly fix it. Is this possible?

Re: Concerning edit conflict lag

Bryan Derksen
Wiki Dudeman wrote:
> I wanted to propose a chance concerning how edit conflicts work.

This is probably better done over on the Wikitech-l mailing list, where
the MediaWiki developers hang out and discuss stuff like this.

Re: Concerning edit conflict lag

Thomas Dalton
> My question is this: Is it possible to cause edit conflicts to only load the
> single section edited opposed to the entire page? For instance if I edit a subsection of the
> Admin notice board page and I get an edit conflict, I don't want it to load the entire notice
> board page in edit mode, just the single section that I edited so that I can quickly fix it. Is
> this possible?

The main problem with such a system is that the edit that you are
conflicting with may have changed the structure of the page in such a
way that the section you are editing either no longer exists, or is in
a different place. I expect it would be possible to detect this and
only display the whole page for editing if it is absolutely required,
but it would not be easy. I do know it has been discussed before, and
no-one has come up with a simple solution.

Re: Concerning edit conflict lag

Casey Brown-3
On Nov 12, 2007 2:13 PM, John Reaves <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You probably want http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/ or the tech list (I'm not
> sure of the address).
>
> --John Reaves
>

> On Nov 12, 2007 10:34 AM, Wiki Dudeman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I wanted to propose a chance concerning how edit conflicts work. I am not
> > sure what mailing list this should be done on so I'm just posting it here
> > since I know that it's at least on English Wikipedia. The problem is this:
> > Whenever I edit a specific subsection of a page and there is an edit
> > conflict, it reloads the entire page in edit mode, not just the single
> > section that I edited which the edit conflict occurred. This causes problems
> > for two reasons. Firstly, Even though I am using a cable modem, it still
> > causes a high amount of lag and time to load large pages in edit mode,
> > sometimes it even freezes my firefox browser. Secondly, While it loads the
> > entire page in edit mode, if another edit occurs while I'm resolving the
> > edit conflict, I am forced to do it again and again since the chances of an
> > edit conflict occurring are much greater when editing an entire page opposed
> > to a single section. My question is this: Is it possible to cause edit
> > conflicts to only load the
> >  single section edited opposed to the entire page? For instance if I edit
> > a subsection of the Admin notice board page and I get an edit conflict, I
> > don't want it to load the entire notice board page in edit mode, just the
> > single section that I edited so that I can quickly fix it. Is this possible?

It was mentioned earlier in the thread:

On Nov 12, 2007 2:35 PM, Bryan Derksen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Wiki Dudeman wrote:
> > I wanted to propose a chance concerning how edit conflicts work.
>
> This is probably better done over on the Wikitech-l mailing list, where
> the MediaWiki developers hang out and discuss stuff like this.

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.