Conducting a Survey on RfA Voters

Ben Collier

Hello,

I’m part of a team at Carnegie Mellon University that is studying the Request for Adminship process and would like to run a survey on RfA voters.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to successfully solicit for users to take a survey without being intrusive?  Any suggestions at all on conducting the survey within Wikipedia would be helpful.

Thank you,

Ben Collier

PhD Student

Carnegie Mellon University

Re: Conducting a Survey on RfA Voters

EUROPOL
Hi Ben,

sounds interesting for me. I am doing my Master Thesis in sociology. I try to "explain" the micro-level vote decisions in admin votes in the german Wikipedia based on quantitative data about there participation and interaction.

I don't know the "right way" how to survey in en.wikipedia, but I guess there are subsites of wikipedia where surveys are announced. Direct invitiations on many user pages will be sanctioned, as far as I know.

Greetings

Marc,
Germany

Re: Conducting a Survey on RfA Voters

Piotr Konieczny-2
Ben Collier wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I’m part of a team at Carnegie Mellon University that is studying the
> Request for Adminship process and would like to run a survey on RfA
> voters.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to successfully solicit
> for users to take a survey without being intrusive?  Any suggestions at
> all on conducting the survey within Wikipedia would be helpful.

You can announce your survey in places like WP:VP, WP:AN or WP:RFAdmin
talk. You could try framing your survey as a Request for Comments, but
at least part of it would have to be public.

All of that is much easier if you are a Wikipedia contributor. The more
active and estabilished you are, the more things you can do that a
n00bie or IP could get warned/banned for...

You could try to enlist help from one of the estabilished editors/admins
who are interested in such issues; NoSeptember comes to mind:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:NoSeptember/The_NoSeptember_Admin_Project

There is no dedicated place for scholarly surveys, such proposals have
been discussed but never gained enough interest to become a policy. Some
time ago I've collected all known survey-related links at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Survey_(disambiguation)
If I missed something, I hope that contributors of this list will add it
there.

Do check the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Admin_survey

By the way, Ben, I am from Uni of Pitt, so if at some point you want to
meet and chat f2f about researching Wikipedia, let me know :)

--
Piotr Konieczny

"The problem about Wikipedia is, that it just works in reality, not in
theory."

Re: Conducting a Survey on RfA Voters

EUROPOL
Hi Andreea,

I have processed most of the RfA data of the german wikipedia with a imperfect workflow of
1. a perl script that fetches the data (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl)
2. a manual correction of exceptions and
3. a validation and import by an GNU R script. (www.r-project.org/)

Because of exceptions the process can as far as I see not be fully automated. The perl script is just a quick hack and I had to change it during the process. So it is still a lot of manual work as long as there is no better implementation of votes in the wiki engine.
Contact if you want me to send it to you.

----

(Besides many questions that I wanted to answer but wasn't able to answer (-; ) I am interested in the simple question: What dertermines vote decisions of individuals in WP?

I expect "pro"-votes to be
1. a mixture of expression of TRUST in (a) the candidate, (b) the nominating user or (c) users that have voted before.
2. a bounded rational (especially affective distorted) decision about the expected benefit of a candidate
(a)  according to OWN political and organisation-political INTERESTS and
(b) according to the perceived benefit to ORGANISATIONAL INTERESTS.

I am about to test the effect of different user variables (aggregated of logged user actions  like revisions and user relations that can be accessed from within the https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/Main_Page) on vote decisions.

As far as I see that is complementary to surveying the voters what Ben is about to do. From a sociological point of view what participants think and say musn't have to be exactly what they are doing.

Best wishes from Germany

Marc