Conference registration

Austin Hair
Hi folks,

Registration is now open, and I'd like to get the "in crowd" processed
before the onslaught brought on by the press release.  If there are
any fundamental problems be encountered in the process, I'd rather you
guys find them, rather than some random dude who read about Wikimania
in a magazine.

So by all means, register, but only if your schedule is firm and
you're prepared to shell out the fee for admission:
http://wm06reg/wikimedia.org/

Austin

Re: Conference registration

SJ-5
That's a mighty fine-looking registration form.
An extra slash, though; here's an active URL :  http://wm06reg.wikimedia.org/

For those not sure where they want to stay : if they register to
attend now, can they add a room reservation later?  Would that be by
email?

Other relevant dates, for those planning their travels:
  July 30 - August 3 : SIGGRAPH Boston
  August 1-3 : Hacking Days
  August 7 : Citizen Journalism "unconference", various field trips

SJ

Austin Hair scribed:
> So by all means, register, but only if your schedule is firm and
> you're prepared to shell out the fee for admission:
> http://wm06reg/wikimedia.org/

Re: Conference registration

SJ-5
That's a mighty fine-looking registration form.
An extra slash, though; here's an active URL :  http://wm06reg.wikimedia.org/

For those not sure where they want to stay : if they register to
attend now, can they add a room reservation later?  Would that be by
email?

Other relevant dates, for those planning their travels:
  July 30 - August 3 : SIGGRAPH Boston
  August 1-3 : Hacking Days
  August 7 : Citizen Journalism "unconference", various field trips

SJ

Austin Hair scribed:
> So by all means, register, but only if your schedule is firm and
> you're prepared to shell out the fee for admission:
> http://wm06reg/wikimedia.org/

Re: Conference registration

SJ-5
By the way, the way my firefox is set up, visiting the original link
took me to this page, which fooled me for a long moment...
http://www.wessex.ac.uk/conferences/2006/waste06/documents/WM06reg.pdf

That group knows how to clean up : charge $400 a day for
'documentation and refreshment', and charge extra for keeping their
accepted paper submissions "permanently and openly accessible to the
scientific community".

SJ

On 5/4/06, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Registration is now open, and I'd like to get the "in crowd" processed
> before the onslaught brought on by the press release.  If there are
> any fundamental problems be encountered in the process, I'd rather you
> guys find them, rather than some random dude who read about Wikimania
> in a magazine.
>
> So by all means, register, but only if your schedule is firm and
> you're prepared to shell out the fee for admission:
> http://wm06reg/wikimedia.org/
>
> Austin

++SJ

On 5/4/06, SJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That's a mighty fine-looking registration form.
> An extra slash, though; here's an active URL :  http://wm06reg.wikimedia.org/

Whoops, good catch.

> For those not sure where they want to stay : if they register to
> attend now, can they add a room reservation later?  Would that be by
> email?

You can e-mail us about adding a dorm to your ticket, but with only
~250 rooms you don't have long to wait.

Austin

Re: Conference registration

Carl Robert Blesius
Yeah, same thing happened to me SJ.
Made me smile.

Carl

P.S. Anyone want to talk trash for 1,250 Euros
on Malta before Wikimania? ;-)

Carl Robert Blesius
http://lcs.mgh.harvard.edu
http://blesius.org

On May 4, 2006, at 7:58 PM, SJ wrote:

> By the way, the way my firefox is set up, visiting the original link
> took me to this page, which fooled me for a long moment...
> http://www.wessex.ac.uk/conferences/2006/waste06/documents/WM06reg.pdf
>
> That group knows how to clean up : charge $400 a day for
> 'documentation and refreshment', and charge extra for keeping their
> accepted paper submissions "permanently and openly accessible to the
> scientific community".
>
> SJ
>
> On 5/4/06, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Registration is now open, and I'd like to get the "in crowd"
>> processed
>> before the onslaught brought on by the press release.  If there are
>> any fundamental problems be encountered in the process, I'd rather
>> you
>> guys find them, rather than some random dude who read about Wikimania
>> in a magazine.
>>
>> So by all means, register, but only if your schedule is firm and
>> you're prepared to shell out the fee for admission:
>> http://wm06reg/wikimedia.org/
>>
>> Austin

Re: Conference registration

Austin Hair
On 5/4/06, SJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> By the way, the way my firefox is set up, visiting the original link
> took me to this page, which fooled me for a long moment...
> http://www.wessex.ac.uk/conferences/2006/waste06/documents/WM06reg.pdf
>
> That group knows how to clean up : charge $400 a day for
> 'documentation and refreshment', and charge extra for keeping their
> accepted paper submissions "permanently and openly accessible to the
> scientific community".

Don't think the thought didn't cross our minds.

Austin

Re: Conference registration

Brion Vibber
Austin Hair wrote:
> Registration is now open, and I'd like to get the "in crowd" processed
> before the onslaught brought on by the press release.  If there are
> any fundamental problems be encountered in the process, I'd rather you
> guys find them, rather than some random dude who read about Wikimania
> in a magazine.

The box for selecting your 'Project' is awfully small; at least for me it only
fits two characters, but some of our languages are three or more characters. You
can type more but it's ugly and uncomfortable. (I put in 'meta'. :) I'd
recommend padding it out a bit longer.

"Primary language" doesn't have an "Other" option, and it's "mandatory". While
there are a lot of languages listed, it's nice to allow the occasional rare
freaks to register. :)

"Country" isn't clear about whether it's your current country of residence, or
your nationality.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Conference registration

Austin Hair
> The box for selecting your 'Project' is awfully small; at least for me it only
> fits two characters, but some of our languages are three or more characters. You
> can type more but it's ugly and uncomfortable. (I put in 'meta'. :) I'd
> recommend padding it out a bit longer.

Yeah, it lets you write out "commons" if you want to (and I put
"meta"), but I made it two characters long because I was worried
people would be confused about what format we're expecting.  I suppose
it can't hurt to make it three ("meta" usually fits in 3em, and
commons people will live).

> "Primary language" doesn't have an "Other" option, and it's "mandatory". While
> there are a lot of languages listed, it's nice to allow the occasional rare
> freaks to register. :)

Volapük's in there, for crying out loud; if you're too freaky for ISO
639, I doubt you'll be able to communicate with anyone.

> "Country" isn't clear about whether it's your current country of residence, or
> your nationality.

You can take your pick.  The only place it matters is elsewhere in the
form, where the (normally hidden) visa fieldset asks you for
"nationality" as given on your passport itself.  ("Nationality"
doesn't actually correspond with the list of nation-states listed
there, and should technically be an adjective anyway.)

Last year I wrote "nation-state affiliation."  Does anyone like that better?

On 5/4/06, mysekurity <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I couldn't get language or country input boxes working (IE6 WinXP--Firefox
> doesn't work now). I'll try again on another computer, but I was wondering
> if the form might be a little more intuitive.

I'm not sure why that wouldn't be working for you—they're both
standard option/select dropdown boxes from HTML 2.

Austin

Re: Conference registration

mysekurity
Tried it on a different comp and it worked perfectly. I'll finish the registration tonight.

Thanks!

Re: Conference registration

KIZU Naoko
Thank you for registration team also, all was perfect as for me. I
hope things were same for other all.

Is there a list of participants by language & nationality? I need the
former as reference for consider the future language policy for the
Foundation as Comcom member, and would like to know the latter just
mainly from curiosity. I heard there were over 400 people from around
100 countries, but I gave up to sum countries of participants when I
counted around 30 countries & areas... and personally I think it is
good for us to give such a flavour to Conference description based on
accurate data.

--
Kizu Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org