Content reuse howto

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Content reuse howto

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
Inundated with enquires about how to reuse our content, David Gerad has
started

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Reusing_content_outside_Wikimedia

after a short discussion on foundation-l and has asked,

> Could all concerned please dive upon it and fill in the gaps?

--
Alphax - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alphax
Contributor to Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
"We make the internet not suck" - Jimbo Wales
Public key: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alphax/OpenPGP


_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l

signature.asc (581 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Content reuse howto

Daniel Arnold
Am Sonntag, 03. September 2006 05:07 schrieb Alphax (Wikipedia email):
> Inundated with enquires about how to reuse our content, David Gerad has
> started
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Reusing_content_outside_Wikimedia
>
> after a short discussion on foundation-l and has asked,
>
> > Could all concerned please dive upon it and fill in the gaps?

Please also see the existing:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:First_steps/Reuse
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Liceinsing
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Project_scope

In order to avoid that it duplicates existing structures.

This text

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Reusing_content_outside_Wikimedia

text should be strictly centered around media files (will be long enough in
the end). The generic infos for all projects fit much better into Meta.

Arnomane
_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Content reuse howto

David Gerard-2
On 05/09/06, Daniel Arnold <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 03. September 2006 05:07 schrieb Alphax (Wikipedia email):

> > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Reusing_content_outside_Wikimedia

> Please also see the existing:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:First_steps/Reuse


- which isn't actually very helpful and, notably, doesn't answer the
sort of questions that come in email


> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Liceinsing


- which is explicitly a guide to *putting* content on Commons, not for
third-party reusers.


> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Project_scope


That doesn't appear to have anything to do with answering the
questions that page is there to answer.

Did you read the page? There are notes on the talk page as well.


> This text
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Reusing_content_outside_Wikimedia
> text should be strictly centered around media files (will be long enough in
> the end). The generic infos for all projects fit much better into Meta.


You might think that, but my email pile doesn't.

Can a project vote that the Foundation must henceforth be unhelpful?


- d.
_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Content reuse howto

David Gerard-2
On 05/09/06, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 05/09/06, Daniel Arnold <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > This text
> > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Reusing_content_outside_Wikimedia
> > text should be strictly centered around media files (will be long enough in
> > the end). The generic infos for all projects fit much better into Meta.

> You might think that, but my email pile doesn't.


That is: outside emailers aren't going to ask in terms of an internal
project distinction.

The aim of the page is to get people to stop asking more and more
specific questions on reusability and know how to look through Commons
for reusable stuff themselves, without emailing further. I put the
page on Commons because everything on it is explicitly meant to be
reusable.


- d.




- d.
_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l