Copyright of Vatican stuff

RE: Re: Copyright of Vatican stuff

valdelli@bluemail.ch
Here the decree:
http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/secretariat_state/2005/documents/rc_seg-st_20050531_decreto-lev_it.html

with this notice:
http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/secretariat_state/2005/documents/rc_seg-st_20050531_comunicato-lev_it.html

There is no references to 50 years period or retroaction.

Ok, but there is this another decree issued in the 1978!!!

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connected/lev/docs_lev/decreto1978.htm

The decree of Benedetto XVI draws on the oldest 1978's decree which safeguard
the works of Giovanni Paolo II and generally of members of Vatican:

"...the Libreria Editrice Vaticana, in his capacity as official publisher
of the Holy See, over the traditional obligation to safeguard written texts
and speeches of the sovereign Pontiffs and the publications concerning Acts
of the Holy See, has received the assignment of protect also the written
ones of Cardinal Karol Wojtyla.
Cannot be made publications, translations or reproductions in whichever graphical
or phonical typology of Its written texts and speeches without the explicit
authorization of the aforesaid Libreria Editrice Vaticana, following the
international agreements and the laws on the Copyrights... (L'O.R. 27-28
Novembre 1978)".

In this case the decree of previous may don't say anything about the copyright
on the Joannis Paulus II, but there was already another decree, the new decree
seems to be a confirmation.

But it's better to ask.

Ilario

Sorry, but the Vatican's web site is written in six languages, but the part
concerning the LEV is only in italian.

Ilario

Ray Saintonge
The link to the 1978 decree makes me wonder because both of these were
issued about a month after these popes came to power.  Were there
similar decrees in relation to the previous popes?  Perhaps not for John
Paul I because of his short reign, but certainly for the three popes
before him.  Pius XI might be a different matter since he did not have
temporal power in 1922.  I suspect that this activity may be nothing
more than a routine decree showing that the pope has abandoned his
personal rights in favour of the church.

Ec