Copyrighted free use

Artur Fijałkowski
I see that lots of people loads images and give them template
{{Copyrighted free use}}. The funny thing about it is, that in most
cases they are screenshots from TV, movies, movie posters, game
covers, etc. So maybe we should make a large cleanup of images in this
category, couse there can be tons of copyvios...

AJF/WarX

ps. why most copyvios is made by people talking in spanic langugage  ?

Re: Copyrighted free use

Sherool
On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 11:28:49 +0200, Artur Fija?kowski
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I see that lots of people loads images and give them template
> {{Copyrighted free use}}. The funny thing about it is, that in most
> cases they are screenshots from TV, movies, movie posters, game
> covers, etc. So maybe we should make a large cleanup of images in this
> category, couse there can be tons of copyvios...
>
> AJF/WarX
>
> ps. why most copyvios is made by people talking in spanic langugage  ?

If the status on enwiki is any clue the majority of those will be copyvios
yes... I suspect "free use" has a lot of people confused into thinking
that anyting they did not pay for can use that tag or something. It also
seems like a convenient dumping groupd for "I have permission to use this"
type images, pluss stuff from sites that allow
personal/educational/noncommercial use (I guess they figure if personal
use is allowed then the tag that says free use everywhere is allowed is
"close enough"). Then again I've seen people write "all rights reserved"
in the upload summary and then slap the "no rights reserved" tag on it so
I suspect a lot of people are not even trying to get it right.

--
[[:en:User:Sherool]]

Re: Copyrighted free use

Fastfission
Perhaps what we need to do is to make some more translations of that
particular tag, then, as we have with some other tags? If a group of
non-English speakers are consistently mis-using a tag which is only
written in English then it would make sense to have someone translate
it...

(My Spanish is so awful that I wouldn't dare do it myself.)

FF

On 8/20/06, Artur Fijałkowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I see that lots of people loads images and give them template
> {{Copyrighted free use}}. The funny thing about it is, that in most
> cases they are screenshots from TV, movies, movie posters, game
> covers, etc. So maybe we should make a large cleanup of images in this
> category, couse there can be tons of copyvios...
>
> AJF/WarX
>
> ps. why most copyvios is made by people talking in spanic langugage  ?

Re: Copyrighted free use

Gregory Maxwell
On 8/20/06, Fastfission <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Perhaps what we need to do is to make some more translations of that
> particular tag, then, as we have with some other tags? If a group of
> non-English speakers are consistently mis-using a tag which is only
> written in English then it would make sense to have someone translate
> it...

I think it's far more likely that an increase of misunderstandings
with spanish speakers is due to the instructions on spanish wikipedia,
more than any lack of translations on commons part .. Their upload
link takes people directly to commons.

The simple fact of the mater is that Joe Sixpack, no matter what
language he speaks, thinks that material he pulled off the web at no
cost is also free for us to use. (see
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/lifestyle/orl-pollmusic0906aug09,0,3450772.story?coll=orl-living-headlines
for a related study).

We must move forward with mandatory copyright education for new
commons users, and of course that will need to be in many languages.
If the projects don't like the extra hump for new users then they can
stop directing their users straight to commons.  The simple fact of
the matter is the incorrectly tagged images are a huge pain to detect
and fix.  Often it is nearly impossible for the job to be done right
without the help of the uploader... On en we are seeing large numbers
of images falsly claimed as GFDL-self, these are hard to detect.. how
many more of these are we getting, on en and commons, that we can't
detect?

By failing to ensure that our content is actually Free Content, we are
failing at our mission.  Ease of use should not override our primary
mission.

Re: Copyrighted free use

Platonides
"Artur Fijalkowski" wrote:
>I see that lots of people loads images and give them template
> {{Copyrighted free use}}. The funny thing about it is, that in most
> cases they are screenshots from TV, movies, movie posters, game
> covers, etc. So maybe we should make a large cleanup of images in this
> category, couse there can be tons of copyvios...
>
> AJF/WarX

Yeah, they sometimes get a "you can use this document" from some webs as
"free use", which means _any_ use, which usually is not. Then there're
people putting whatever fits, even when it's a big © forbidding use.

> ps. why most copyvios is made by people talking in spanic langugage  ?
Maybe because we closed local uploads on the Spanish Wikipedia so now
Spanish copyvios can only be uploaded to commons ;-)

Following Fastfission notice i've made {{Protegida uso libre}} (I copied
from es: name and content). Now, can anyone include {{/lang}} into
Template:Copyrighted free use?

Re: Copyrighted free use

Samuli Lintula
> I see that lots of people loads images and give them template
> {{Copyrighted free use}}. The funny thing about it is, that in most
> cases they are screenshots from TV, movies, movie posters, game
> covers, etc. So maybe we should make a large cleanup of images in this
> category, couse there can be tons of copyvios...

Many people have suggested that those who tag with {{copyrighted free
use}} have the following misunderstanding: "I got the from a page on the
internet. I guess you can use it freely."

I believe that the way the tag is really misunderstood is this: "[This
picture is] copyrighted [, it can used according to] free use".
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Image:Spacechase-ripjump-small.jpg&diff=prev&oldid=2633285

--
Ystävällisin terveisin,
Samuli Lintula

Re: Copyrighted free use

Gregory Maxwell
> Many people have suggested that those who tag with {{copyrighted free
> use}} have the following misunderstanding: "I got the from a page on the
> internet. I guess you can use it freely."
>
> I believe that the way the tag is really misunderstood is this: "[This
> picture is] copyrighted [, it can used according to] free use".

That confusion shouldn't be happening for the speakers of Spanish who
were singled out at the top of this thread.