Counting number of values for a property on one page

Counting number of values for a property on one page

Daren Welsh
Hello everyone,

I was trying to use templates and Extension:Variables to create a way to
count the number of values set for a single property on a single page. For
example, if Property:Certification had values "EVA TASK", "EVA TASK MPSR
Only", "TASK SSTF", and "Task Instructor" on the page "Daren Welsh", then
this thing would return "4".

I tried posting a simplified version on a public wiki, but was having
trouble finding one I could readily modify with Extension:Variables already
installed. So in the meantime I'm just copying the code into an email and
hoping someone can help me understand why this doesn't work.

On my personal information page, I might use the following template call to
display the number of certifications I have:

Daren has {{#expr: {{#show: Daren Welsh |?Certification |format=template
|template=Count Property Values | link=none }} }} certifications.

This should send the string "EVA TASK, EVA TASK MPSR Only, TASK SSTF, Task
Instructor" to Template:Count Property Values and then evaluate the
returned results using #expr.

The contents of Template:Count Property Values:

{{#arraymap: {{{1|}}}|,|VAR|1|+}}

This uses #arraymap to split the string on each comma. It then replaces
each sub-string with "1" and separates them with "+". So for our example,
it should output the string "1+1+1+1". Then, back on the original page, it
should evaluate "1+1+1+1" and output "4".

Currently, this results in the error: Expression error: Unrecognized
punctuation character "[".

In order to troubleshoot, I made a test page with some different iterations
to compare the input/output using a SMW query versus just using a string.
The results are all as expected with the string "[[EVA TASK]], [[EVA TASK
MPSR Only]], [[TASK SSTF]], [[Task Instructor]]" manually passed to
Template:Count Property Values.

   1. {{Count Property Values | [[EVA TASK]], [[EVA TASK MPSR Only]],
   [[TASK SSTF]], [[Task Instructor]] }} ==> 1+1+1+1
   2. {{#expr: {{Count Property Values | [[EVA TASK]], [[EVA TASK MPSR
   Only]], [[TASK SSTF]], [[Task Instructor]] }} }} ==> 4
   3. {{#len:  {{Count Property Values | [[EVA TASK]], [[EVA TASK MPSR
   Only]], [[TASK SSTF]], [[Task Instructor]] }} }} ==> 7
   4. {{#len: {{#expr: {{Count Property Values | [[EVA TASK]], [[EVA TASK
   MPSR Only]], [[TASK SSTF]], [[Task Instructor]] }} }} }} ==> 1

But when I use #show I get the error message. I'm really curious about the
last two tests. The length of the output of Template:Count Property Values
should be 7, but when using #show it is 30. The length of the evaluated
expression of the output from Template:Count Property Values should be 1,
but it is 98.

   1. String = {{#show: Daren Welsh |?Certification |format= | link=none }}
   ==> String = EVA TASK, EVA TASK MPSR Only, TASK SSTF, Task Instructor
   2. {{#show: Daren Welsh |?Certification |format=template |template=Count
   Property Values | link=none }} ==> 1+1+1+1
   3. {{#expr: {{#show: Daren Welsh |?Certification |format=template
   |template=Count Property Values | link=none }} }} ==> Expression error:
   Unrecognized punctuation character "["
   4. {{#len: {{#show: Daren Welsh |?Certification |format=template
   |template=Count Property Values | link=none }} }} ==> 30
   5. {{#len: {{#expr: {{#show: Daren Welsh |?Certification
   |format=template |template=Count Property Values | link=none }} }} }} ==> 98

I haven't sorted this all out yet, but I'm guessing it has something to do
with the order of execution of #show, #expr, #len, #arraymap, and template
calls. I even tried splitting this into two nested templates so the nested
template returned the "1+1+1+1" part to be acted upon by the first level
template. That didn't change anything.

We're using MW 1.23.2, SMW 2.1, SF 2.6, Variables 2.1.0, and
ParserFunctions 1.5.1 on this server.

I'll probably just make an extension to solve this or maybe Lua is the way
to go, but I'd still like to understand what is going on to cause these
results.

Thanks for any insight you can give,

Daren

--
__________________
http://enterprisemediawiki.org

Re: Counting number of values for a property on one page

Hans Oleander
Hello,

I can confirm the funny "Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation
character "[" error.

I am also interested to learn about the reasons for the odd behavior, and I
agree one of the tricky things in SMW is sometimes to get the parser
working / interpreting things in the desired order.

One suggestion, though, for this issue: It might not be necessary to create
a new extension, as it seems to be possible to solve it by moving the
#expr-statement (the one that does the actual computing of the count) from
the main page (your user page) to the template page, i.e. do the
calculation there. At least that worked in my case.

However if you should still be in search for SMW extension work to do I
actually am able to contribute a few suggestions ... :)

Cheers,

Hans

> [...]
> with the order of execution of #show, #expr, #len, #arraymap, and template
> calls. I even tried splitting this into two nested templates so the nested
> template returned the "1+1+1+1" part to be acted upon by the first level
> template. That didn't change anything.
>
> We're using MW 1.23.2, SMW 2.1, SF 2.6, Variables 2.1.0, and
> ParserFunctions 1.5.1 on this server.
>
> I'll probably just make an extension to solve this or maybe Lua is the way
> to go, but I'd still like to understand what is going on to cause these
> results.
>
> Thanks for any insight you can give,
>
> Daren
>
> --
> __________________
> http://enterprisemediawiki.org
> http://mixcloud.com/darenwelsh
> http://www.beatportfolio.com

Re: Counting number of values for a property on one page

Cavila Contrafibularity
Hi Darren,

Perhaps I misunderstood the question, but why don't you use something like

{{#ask: [[-Certification::<q>[[{{FULLPAGENAME}}]]</q>]]
|format=count
}}

?

> [...]
> with the order of execution of #show, #expr, #len, #arraymap, and template
> calls. I even tried splitting this into two nested templates so the nested
> template returned the "1+1+1+1" part to be acted upon by the first level
> template. That didn't change anything.
>
> We're using MW 1.23.2, SMW 2.1, SF 2.6, Variables 2.1.0, and
> ParserFunctions 1.5.1 on this server.
>
> I'll probably just make an extension to solve this or maybe Lua is the way
> to go, but I'd still like to understand what is going on to cause these
> results.
>
> Thanks for any insight you can give,
>
> Daren
>
> --
> __________________
> http://enterprisemediawiki.org
> http://mixcloud.com/darenwelsh
> http://www.beatportfolio.com

Re: Counting number of values for a property on one page

That would return the number of pages containing this property rather than
the number of occurrences in one page (or more).
Greetings
Hans

> Hi Darren,
>
> Perhaps I misunderstood the question, but why don't you use something like
>
> {{#ask: [[-Certification::<q>[[{{FULLPAGENAME}}]]</q>]]
> |format=count
> }}
>
> ?

Re: Counting number of values for a property on one page

Cavila Contrafibularity
> That would return the number of pages containing this property rather than the number of occurrences in one page (or more).

No, for the former you would have something like

{{#ask: [[Certification::+]]

|format=count

}}

With inverse querying you can get the property values:

{{#ask: [[-Certification::{{FULLPAGENAME}}]]

|format=count

}}

* the magic word is used, of course, if the query is added to the page in question)
* embedding stuff within <q> tags as I did in my previous post is unnecessary here but the the results are the same)

Best,
Cav

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 14:30:33 +0100
Subject: Re: [Semediawiki-user] Counting number of values for a property on one page
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]

That would return the number of pages containing this property rather than the number of occurrences in one page (or more).
Greetings
Hans

Hi Darren,

Perhaps I misunderstood the question, but why don't you use something like

{{#ask: [[-Certification::<q>[[{{FULLPAGENAME}}]]</q>]]

|format=count

}}

?

Re: Counting number of values for a property on one page

Erwin Oord
The inverse query only works if Property:Certification is of type Page, if
I am correct.

Cheers,

Erwin

> That would return the number of pages containing this property rather
than the number of occurrences in one page (or more).

No, for the former you would have something like

{{#ask: [[Certification::+]]

|format=count

}}

With inverse querying you can get the property values:

{{#ask: [[-Certification::{{FULLPAGENAME}}]]

|format=count

}}

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 14:30:33 +0100
on one page
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]

That would return the number of pages containing this property rather than
the number of occurrences in one page (or more).
Greetings
Hans

Hi Darren,

Perhaps I misunderstood the question, but why don't you use something like

{{#ask: [[-Certification::<q>[[{{FULLPAGENAME}}]]</q>]]

|format=count

}}

?

----
Download BIRT iHub F-Type - The Free Enterprise-Grade BIRT Server from
Actuate! Instantly Supercharge Your Business Reports and Dashboards with
Interactivity, Sharing, Native Excel Exports, App Integration & more Get
technology previously reserved for billion-dollar corporations, FREE
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=190641631&iu=/4140/ostg.clkt
rk

Re: Counting number of values for a property on one page

Chris Koerner
Daren,
Have you taken a look at this article
<http://smw.referata.com/wiki/List_the_set_of_unique_values_for_a_property>?
You
might be able to modify the logic there to make this applicable to a single
page.

-Chris K.

Re: Counting number of values for a property on one page

Daren Welsh
Thank you all for your input. I tried the inverse property query and it
worked for this case. I haven't used that technique more than once or twice
before, so I always forget about it as an option.

I'm still a little curious about my original question and whether it has to
do with the order of execution though :)

Daren