Create aliases for sister projects wikilinks

Create aliases for sister projects wikilinks

יגאל חיטרון
Hello. One of tech masters on our wiki asked me to check this. He is
thousands times clever than me, but has thouthands times less time, so I do
this for him.
We just added a lot of aliases for namespaces, for example WP: for
Wikipedia: and U: for User:. Is there a way to do the same thing for the
sister projects? For example, adding a local name for n: or wict:. Thank
you.
Igal (User:IKhitron)

Re: Create aliases for sister projects wikilinks

MZMcBride-2
יגאל חיטרון wrote:
>We just added a lot of aliases for namespaces, for example WP: for
>Wikipedia: and U: for User:. Is there a way to do the same thing for the
>sister projects? For example, adding a local name for n: or wict:.

Are you familiar with <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Interwiki_map>? It
sounds similar to what you want, except interwiki prefixes defined on that
page apply to all public Wikimedia wikis. Do you want local-only prefixes?
Would templates (i.e., {{wict|hello}} instead of [[wict:hello]]) work?

MZMcBride

Re: Create aliases for sister projects wikilinks

יגאל חיטרון-2
Hello, and thank you for your answer. Yes, he likes local aliases indeed.
They can't be done for all wikis, because it's on wiki own language. About
templates - we can create them, of course, but it's about wikilinks. Isn't
there any where to create them, even in phabricator, as namespaces aliases
were?
Igal

יגאל חיטרון wrote:
>Hello, and thank you for your answer. Yes, he likes local aliases indeed.
>They can't be done for all wikis, because it's on wiki own language. About
>templates - we can create them, of course, but it's about wikilinks. Isn't
>there any where to create them, even in phabricator, as namespaces aliases
>were?

The difference between "{{wikt|foo}}" and "[[wikt:foo]]" is pretty minimal.

Wikimedia wikis are using
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Interwiki>, but with
"$wgInterwikiViewOnly = true;" set according to
<https://noc.wikimedia.org/conf/CommonSettings.php.txt>. This Interwiki
extension supports both local and global prefixes together, but Wikimedia
wikis do not currently have local interwiki prefixes enabled, it looks
like. You could file a Phabricator ticket to change this.

I imagine you'd run into two objections, though. First, some developers
don't really like interwiki prefixes, given that they're really just a
worse form of URLs. "c:" being a prefix that means
"https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/$1" was mostly intended as a shortcut
for inputting wikitext and there are potentially better ways to support
this functionality without using interwikis. Interwiki links are
basically a rudimentary abstraction layer or namespacing system.

Second, local interwiki prefixes would mean that when parsing pages, you'd
need to use yet another set of local rules. Yes, we already have namespace
aliases per-wiki (such as "WP:" --> "Wikipedia:" as you mention), but
local interwiki links would be another list to manage and reference when
parsing pages. Local rules like this can also make using content between
wikis more difficult, since copying and pasting can become less trivial.

MZMcBride

Re: Create aliases for sister projects wikilinks

יגאל חיטרון-2
I see. Thank you.
Igal