Create page from email

Ad Strack van Schijndel
Hi,

Does anyone have experience with creating pages from emails? The EmailToWiki seems to do that, but before I dive into that I would like to hear some 'reviews'.

Thanks! Ad

Re: Create page from email

thingles
Unfortunately none of the 5,200+ wikis monitored by WikiApiary use this extension:

http://wikiapiary.com/wiki/Extension:EmailToWiki

That would give me a moment of pause.

My $0.02 is that I would not want an extension to do this. Instead, I would just have a bot account and write something completely independent that makes the wiki pages via the MW API using the bot. No 'integration' with MW required, and your free to do it in your language of choice.
Jamie Thingelstad
[hidden email]
mobile: 612-810-3699
find me on AIM Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

On Apr 10, 2013, at 7:55 AM, Ad Strack van Schijndel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have experience with creating pages from emails? The EmailToWiki seems to do that, but before I dive into that I would like to hear some 'reviews'.
>
> Thanks! Ad

Re: Create page from email

Ad Strack van Schijndel
Thanx for your advice Jamie.
That seems to me the way to go.

Ad

On 10 april 2013, at 16:23, Jamie Thingelstad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Unfortunately none of the 5,200+ wikis monitored by WikiApiary use this extension:
>
> http://wikiapiary.com/wiki/Extension:EmailToWiki
>
> That would give me a moment of pause.
>
> My $0.02 is that I would not want an extension to do this. Instead, I would just have a bot account and write something completely independent that makes the wiki pages via the MW API using the bot. No 'integration' with MW required, and your free to do it in your language of choice.
> Jamie Thingelstad
> [hidden email]
> mobile: 612-810-3699
> find me on AIM Twitter Facebook LinkedIn
>
> On Apr 10, 2013, at 7:55 AM, Ad Strack van Schijndel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone have experience with creating pages from emails? The EmailToWiki seems to do that, but before I dive into that I would like to hear some 'reviews'.
>>
>> Thanks! Ad

Re: Create page from email

planetenxin

some time ago, we built an ETL-Job with Open Source Software Pentaho to
create pages from E-Mail by calling MediaWiki API.

/Alexander Gesinn

Am 10.04.2013 14:55, schrieb Ad Strack van Schijndel:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have experience with creating pages from emails? The EmailToWiki seems to do that, but before I dive into that I would like to hear some 'reviews'.
>
> Thanks! Ad

semantic::apps by gesinn.it
Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
http://semantic-apps.com

Re: Create page from email

david mason-2

I wrote Java code to accept email (through /etc/aliases, a .forward file, etc)
and post it to a wiki. It works well for non complicated emails. I can post it
and a bunch of other Java SMW maintenance code on Github if anyone is
interested. The maintenance code lets you do stuff like this:

List<WikiPage> l = wiki1.getPagesByAsk("[[Category:Fungal species]]");
for (WikiPage p : l) {
        WikiPage n = new WikiPage("Species code");
        n.setPageName(p.getProperty("Species code"));
        n.setProperty("Fungal name", p.getProperty("Fungal name"));
        n.setProperty("Fungal strain", p.getProperty("Fungal strain"));
        wiki2.edit(n.getPageName(), n.getPage());
}

It's based on https://code.google.com/p/wiki-java/, extended for SMW.

I'm rewriting parts of it in Node.js.

David