Creating a page

Amruta Lonkar
I want to create page and talk page for references that get added to any
article. I have done the code where you can add a new reference and save it in
the database. I have also created a separate reference and reference talk
namespace.

At the end of the article i am showing a list of references, now i want this
to actually be the link to the reference page. Once the user clicks on the
link it hsould take him to that reference page and show a standard box which
shows the reference information. Also how to add a page in the namespace. Does
doing Reference:pagename add the page to that namespace?

Thanks,
Amruta

Re: Creating a page

Fred Bauder
If I understand, which I may not, you could create  links to the
references by doing this:

==References==
#[[Reference:Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire|Decline and Fall of
the Roman Empire]]
#[[Reference:The Hobbit|The Hobbit]]
#[[Reference:Red Spy Queen|Red Spy Queen]]

That gives individual sources. Perhaps you want to put all references
on one reference page:

==References==
*[[Reference:References for Empire|References]]

Having created those links, clicking on one will take you to the
blank page ready for editing or, if it was already created, to that
page.

Making Reference:pagename does add the page to that namespace.

Fred

On Feb 9, 2006, at 7:28 AM, Amruta Lonkar wrote:

> I want to create page and talk page for references that get added
> to any
> article. I have done the code where you can add a new reference and
> save it in
> the database. I have also created a separate reference and
> reference talk
> namespace.
>
> At the end of the article i am showing a list of references, now i
> want this
> to actually be the link to the reference page. Once the user clicks
> on the
> link it hsould take him to that reference page and show a standard
> box which
> shows the reference information. Also how to add a page in the
> namespace. Does
> doing Reference:pagename add the page to that namespace?
>
> Thanks,
> Amruta

Re: Creating a page

Amruta Lonkar-2
The reference list is generated on this call
$wgHooks['ParserAfterTidy'][] = 'myShowReferenceFunction';

So do i create links to the refernce in this myReferenceFunction, but will
that get parsed then?. Or is there some other event after which i should
create this list.
Also i want to display a standard info box on every reference page (each
reference has its own page), once the user clicks on the reference so that
once a reference is cretaed its page is never empty and has a info box on
it.

Thanks,
Amruta

On 2/9/06, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I understand, which I may not, you could create  links to the
> references by doing this:
>
> ==References==
> #[[Reference:Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire|Decline and Fall of
> the Roman Empire]]
> #[[Reference:The Hobbit|The Hobbit]]
> #[[Reference:Red Spy Queen|Red Spy Queen]]
>
> That gives individual sources. Perhaps you want to put all references
> on one reference page:
>
> ==References==
> *[[Reference:References for Empire|References]]
>
> Having created those links, clicking on one will take you to the
> blank page ready for editing or, if it was already created, to that
> page.
>
> Making Reference:pagename does add the page to that namespace.
>
> Fred
>
> On Feb 9, 2006, at 7:28 AM, Amruta Lonkar wrote:
>
> > I want to create page and talk page for references that get added
> > to any
> > article. I have done the code where you can add a new reference and
> > save it in
> > the database. I have also created a separate reference and
> > reference talk
> > namespace.
> >
> > At the end of the article i am showing a list of references, now i
> > want this
> > to actually be the link to the reference page. Once the user clicks
> > on the
> > link it hsould take him to that reference page and show a standard
> > box which
> > shows the reference information. Also how to add a page in the
> > namespace. Does
> > doing Reference:pagename add the page to that namespace?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Amruta

Re: Creating a page

Fred Bauder
I guess you are trying to do this by coding. I don't understand
coding. But I suppose you could code it so any page in the reference
namespace would have an empty infobox ready for plugging in the
details about a particular reference. You could make your infobox
with commented out directions as to how to plug in the information. I
suppose you could also code the article namespace so that it had a
reference section at the bottom with commented out directions also. I
do believe that if you create a link to a page [[Reference:blah blah|
blah blah]] that clicking on it will take you to that page for editing.

I suppose my approach is rather simple.

Fred

>>> Amruta