Creating a skin with no tabs

Ryan Hudy
I am trying to create a skin in which the tabbed links are no longer seen
and some of the links (edit, history, etc) are now seen along the top right
of the screen. I have successfully "deleted" the tabs, but I'm having an
issue with creating an edit and history link along the top right. Has anyone
done this successfully with a skin they have created?

Ryan

Fxp

Re: Creating a skin with no tabs

Fxp
Do you mean that you are customizing the Monobook.php, or only the css ?
Anyway, those are the two main files where your layout can be changed...
Note that if you change monobook.php, people using another skin via the
preferences won't see the difference.

I have just upgraded from an old version of wiki, and I'm in labor for
organising my new site. I've "stolen" a three column layout called
skidoo, maybe you would like to have a look at it. But a lot of things
are still not working on my site, so don't be surprised.

http://www.fxparlant.net/Category:Test

Hope this helps.

François

Fxp

Re: Creating a skin with no tabs

Fxp
Hi Hudy,

Actually, it is the simplest things to do. The menus are build as
**lists**. It means that they are in html something like <ul><li>first
If it doesn't look like a list in the normal wiki, it is because the css
(skins/monobook/main.css) tells no to display the menu list as a list,
but instead, to display it "inline". That is why it looks like tabs.

So, to move the block of edit menu:
Open monobook.php
and change the following block's to the place you want it to appear on
the page:

        <h5><?php $this->msg('views') ?></h5>
        <ul>
<?php            foreach($this->data['content_actions'] as $key => $tab)
{ ?>
                 <li id="ca-<?php echo htmlspecialchars($key) ?>"<?php
                     if($tab['class']) { ?> class="<?php echo
htmlspecialchars($tab['class']) ?>"<?php }
                 ?>><a href="<?php echo htmlspecialchars($tab['href'])
?>"><?php
                 echo htmlspecialchars($tab['text']) ?></a></li>
<?php             } ?>
        </ul>

And to let it display as normal list:

change in monobook/main.css
#p-cactions li {
    display: inline;
    border: 1px solid #aaa;
    border-bottom: none;
    padding: 0 0 .1em 0;
    margin: 0 .3em 0 0;
    overflow: visible;
    background: white;
}

into this
#p-cactions li {
   /* display: inline;*/
    border: 1px solid #aaa;
    border-bottom: none;
    padding: 0 0 .1em 0;
    margin: 0 .3em 0 0;
    overflow: visible;
    background: white;
}

Hope this helps

François

Ryan Hudy wrote:
> Well, I guess customizing both. My wiki is set up so the only skin
choice the users have is monobook.

> I noticed you took the edit link from the tabs and put it on the left.
I'm looking to do the same, except I want the edit link on the top
right. How did you get the edit, history, etc links on the right?

> Ryan
>

>> From: FxParlant <[hidden email]>
<[hidden email]>