Creating subcategories, articles directly in category

Creating subcategories, articles directly in category

konference@pro2-soft.com
Hi,
I'm looking for the ability to create subcategory or articke directli in
category.
Something like "Create article in this category", "Create category in
this category" links in category view.
What should I be looking for? template? skin? or do I have to somehow
alter wiki source code itself?

Brona

Re: Creating subcategories, articles directly in category

Rob Church
On 28/03/06, Bronislav Klucka <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking for the ability to create subcategory or articke directli in
> category.

MediaWiki deals with categorisation in a bottom-up manner. Articles
and categories specify their parent categories, not the other way
round, so this is not a simple problem.

One solution might be to use the edit form's preload option which,
when used, inserts a template containing the [[Category:Foo]] entry
into the edit form; to make the interface a little prettier, one could
use the InputBox extension. See
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Inputbox_extension for more details.

Rob Church

Re: Creating subcategories, articles directly in category

Otaci Martins
On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 15:20 +0100, Rob Church wrote:

> On 28/03/06, Bronislav Klucka <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm looking for the ability to create subcategory or articke directli in
> > category.
>
> MediaWiki deals with categorisation in a bottom-up manner. Articles
> and categories specify their parent categories, not the other way
> round, so this is not a simple problem.
>
> One solution might be to use the edit form's preload option which,
> when used, inserts a template containing the [[Category:Foo]] entry
> into the edit form; to make the interface a little prettier, one could
> use the InputBox extension. See
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Inputbox_extension for more details.
>

> Rob Church

Inputbox extension does not solve this case because it does not allow
parameters as options' values. In this case, a parameter is necessary to
pass to PRELOAD option to inform the category name the new page will be
assigned to.

I have the same problem here, because is much more intuitive for users
to click in a button like "create an article inside this category", than
to remember the exact correct name of the category that the new article
is to be associated. But, after several months searching for a solution,
i gave up, and i'm using iputbox extension to implement a button like
described above, but the user has the hard task to remember the exact
name of the category in order to classify the new article.

ps: forgive my poor english (i'm brasilian)