Creation of new wikis

Arbeo M-2
 A number of new language subdomains for various Wikimedia projects have
been requested in the recent months. The ones listed below (according to
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Approved_requests_for_new_languages) have
been approved by the Community after thorough examination and discussion.
All of them have sufficient support by native/proficient speakers as well as
ISO language codes.

On behalf of the Wikimedians interested in contributing to our projects in
those languages, I'd would like to ask for the early creation of the wikis
listed below:

Wikipedia
* Wu: zh-wuu.wikipedia.org
* Mazandarani: mzn.wikipedia.org
* Nepal Bhasa (Newar): new.wikipedia.org
* Lak: lbe.wikipedia.org
* Emilian-Romagnol: eml.wikipedia.org
* Buryat: bxr.wikipedia.org
* Upper Sorbian: hsb.wikipedia.org
* Novial: nov.wikipedia.org
* Pangasinan: pag.wikipedia.org

Wikisource
* Bosnian: bs.wikisource.org
* Malayalam: ml.wikisource.org
* Slovak: sk.wikisource.org
* Slovenian: sl.wikisource.org
* Min Nan (Taiwanese): zh-min-man.wikisource.org

Wikiquote
* Ido: io.wikiquote.org

Wiktionary
* Cebuano: ceb.wiktionary.org
* Pangasinan: pag.wiktionary.org

Wikibooks
* Cebuano: ceb.wikibooks.org

For details, please see
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Approved_requests_for_new_languages. For any
questions, please feel free to contact me, post to the "Approved requests
for new languages" talk page or to the wikipedia-l mailing list. Your help
in enabling multilingualism is great appreciated. Thanks for your attention!

Arbeo

Re: Creation of new wikis

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Would it not make better sense to have a wuu in stead of a zh-wuu? In
ISO-639-3 wuu IS a language so there is no need to suggest that Wuu is
second to Mandarin.

Thanks,
    GerardM

On 5/30/06, Arbeo M <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  A number of new language subdomains for various Wikimedia projects have
> been requested in the recent months. The ones listed below (according to
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Approved_requests_for_new_languages) have
> been approved by the Community after thorough examination and discussion.
> All of them have sufficient support by native/proficient speakers as well as
> ISO language codes.
>
> On behalf of the Wikimedians interested in contributing to our projects in
> those languages, I'd would like to ask for the early creation of the wikis
> listed below:
>
> Wikipedia
> * Wu: zh-wuu.wikipedia.org
> * Mazandarani: mzn.wikipedia.org
> * Nepal Bhasa (Newar): new.wikipedia.org
> * Lak: lbe.wikipedia.org
> * Emilian-Romagnol: eml.wikipedia.org
> * Buryat: bxr.wikipedia.org
> * Upper Sorbian: hsb.wikipedia.org
> * Novial: nov.wikipedia.org
> * Pangasinan: pag.wikipedia.org
>
> Wikisource
> * Bosnian: bs.wikisource.org
> * Malayalam: ml.wikisource.org
> * Slovak: sk.wikisource.org
> * Slovenian: sl.wikisource.org
> * Min Nan (Taiwanese): zh-min-man.wikisource.org
>
> Wikiquote
> * Ido: io.wikiquote.org
>
> Wiktionary
> * Cebuano: ceb.wiktionary.org
> * Pangasinan: pag.wiktionary.org
>
> Wikibooks
> * Cebuano: ceb.wikibooks.org
>
> For details, please see
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Approved_requests_for_new_languages. For any
> questions, please feel free to contact me, post to the "Approved requests
> for new languages" talk page or to the wikipedia-l mailing list. Your help
> in enabling multilingualism is great appreciated. Thanks for your attention!
>
> Arbeo

Re: Creation of new wikis

Arbeo M-2
On 5/30/06, GerardM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hoi,
> Would it not make better sense to have a wuu in stead of a zh-wuu? In
> ISO-639-3 wuu IS a language so there is no need to suggest that Wuu is
> second to Mandarin.

I've noticed that, too. The main reason why I specified "zh-wuu"
was consistency with the existing "zh-min-nan" ("Taiwanese") and "zh-yue"
(Cantonese) Wikipedias. Apart from that I fully agree with you that an
individual three-letter code, where available, is to be preferred. I for one
have no objections against picking "wuu".

Arbeo

P. S. Sorry, I misspelled the domain name for the Min Nan (Taiwanese)
Wikisource. It should read zh-min-nan.wikisource.org, of course.

Re: Creation of new wikis

M. Williamson
I specified "wuu" on the initial request; I don't know if maybe
someone has changed that, but it definitely should be "wuu".

In the future, zh-yue should probably be moved to yue:

Mark

On 30/05/06, Arbeo M <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/30/06, GerardM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hoi,
> > Would it not make better sense to have a wuu in stead of a zh-wuu? In
> > ISO-639-3 wuu IS a language so there is no need to suggest that Wuu is
> > second to Mandarin.
>

> I've noticed that, too. The main reason why I specified "zh-wuu"
> was consistency with the existing "zh-min-nan" ("Taiwanese") and "zh-yue"
> (Cantonese) Wikipedias. Apart from that I fully agree with you that an
> individual three-letter code, where available, is to be preferred. I for one
> have no objections against picking "wuu".
>
> Arbeo
>
> P. S. Sorry, I misspelled the domain name for the Min Nan (Taiwanese)
> Wikisource. It should read zh-min-nan.wikisource.org, of course.

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.

Re: Creation of new wikis

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Indeed also min-nan has its ISO-639-3 code: nan. And when we want to
do things right, we should not call Chinese Chinese but Mandarin and
use its code cmn instead. The zh and zho code are now considered to be
a macro language .... the question is do we dare to bite that bullet.

Thanks,
    GerardM