Creative Commons and Access plan to create PD catalog like WM Commons

Creative Commons and Access plan to create PD catalog like WM Commons

Nicholas Moreau
Just found this press release (
http://www.ccnmatthews.com/news/releases/show.jsp?action=showRelease&searchText=false&showText=all&actionFor=582837),
the second of the paragraphs that I've quoted is the most important...

----

Access Copyright and Creative Commons Canada Announce Public Domain Registry

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(CCNMatthews - March 3, 2006) -

Ground-breaking project will feature globally searchable catalogue of
Canadian culture

Access Copyright, The Canadian Copyright Licensing Agency and Creative
Commons Canada, in partnership with Creative Commons Corporation in the US,
today announced the development of a Canadian public domain registry. The
ground-breaking project - the most comprehensive of its kind in Canada -
will create an online, globally searchable catalogue of published works that
are in the Canadian public domain.
The innovative registry's backbone will be Access Copyright's Rights
Management System, the largest database of copyright information in Canada.
The Wikimedia Foundation, developers of the popular online encyclopedia
Wikipedia, will supply software that will allow the public to contribute
information to the registry. Individuals will be able to use the registry to
determine whether a published work is in the public domain. The registry
will also link to digital versions of the work, and provide information
about where a paper copy of the work can be purchased.

----

This sounds like we're in partnership with the Creative Commons, which, to
my knowledge (as a member of the Communications Committee), we're not.

I'd love if we were, and they could just upload the content to Wikimedia
Commons, but they're not. It's rather deceptive.

Nick

Re: Creative Commons and Access plan to create PD catalog like WM Commons

Angela-5
> The Wikimedia Foundation, developers of the popular online encyclopedia
> Wikipedia, will supply software that will allow the public to contribute
> information to the registry.
> This sounds like we're in partnership with the Creative Commons, which, to
> my knowledge (as a member of the Communications Committee), we're not.

The Board have been discussing the possibility of a partnership with
the Creative Commons for this project, but the press release was
premature. Since it's now out, I'd be interested to know whether
there's any objection to the proposal.

Angela

Re: Creative Commons and Access plan to create PD catalog like WM Commons

Ray Saintonge
Nicholas Moreau wrote:

>Just found this press release (
>http://www.ccnmatthews.com/news/releases/show.jsp?action=showRelease&searchText=false&showText=all&actionFor=582837),
>the second of the paragraphs that I've quoted is the most important...
>

>----
>
>Access Copyright and Creative Commons Canada Announce Public Domain Registry
>
>TORONTO, ONTARIO--(CCNMatthews - March 3, 2006) -
>
>Ground-breaking project will feature globally searchable catalogue of
>Canadian culture
>
>Access Copyright, The Canadian Copyright Licensing Agency and Creative
>Commons Canada, in partnership with Creative Commons Corporation in the US,
>today announced the development of a Canadian public domain registry. The
>ground-breaking project - the most comprehensive of its kind in Canada -
>will create an online, globally searchable catalogue of published works that
>are in the Canadian public domain.
>The innovative registry's backbone will be Access Copyright's Rights
>Management System, the largest database of copyright information in Canada.
>The Wikimedia Foundation, developers of the popular online encyclopedia
>Wikipedia, will supply software that will allow the public to contribute
>information to the registry. Individuals will be able to use the registry to
>determine whether a published work is in the public domain. The registry
>will also link to digital versions of the work, and provide information
>about where a paper copy of the work can be purchased.
>
>----
>
>This sounds like we're in partnership with the Creative Commons, which, to
>my knowledge (as a member of the Communications Committee), we're not.
>
>I'd love if we were, and they could just upload the content to Wikimedia
>Commons, but they're not. It's rather deceptive.

It says nothing about bein in partnershi, just that Wikimedia will
supply software.  That software is available for anybody to use.  They
are clearly heading in a favorable directions, so we should be careful
not to look for difficulties.
Ec