Creative Commons logos up for deletion, again

Creative Commons logos up for deletion, again

Brianna Laugher
Hello chaps,

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Deletion_requests#.5B.5B:Image:Cc-by.svg.5D.5D.2C_.5B.5B:Image:Cc-nc.svg.5D.5D.2C_.5B.5B:Image:Cc-nd.svg.5D.5D.2C_.5B.5B:Image:Cc-sa.svg.5D.5D.2C_.5B.5B:Image:Cc-by_white.svg.5D.5D.2C_.5B.5B:Image:Cc-nc_white.svg.5D.5D.2C_.5B.5B:Image:Cc-nd_white.svg.5D.5D.2C_.5B.5B:Image:Cc-sa_white.svg.5D.5D_and_the_PNG_versions_of_these

The CC "BY" "SA" etc little icons are up for deletion... again.

The first time (to my knowledge) was here:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/Archives04#Image:Somerights20.png

Also relevant is: http://creativecommons.org/policies#license

It seems to me that they were kept the first time for expediency, and
that our flaw was in not linking the image to the corresponding
license text on the CC website (instead, it always links to our image
page), and offering them as freely licensed by virtue of them being
available on our site.

There are coloured homemade alternatives available. Although
consistency and recognisability are certainly important. But then,
we're policy purists, after all. So what are the chances of
(a) getting a technical fix so that these images link to the required
CC license, in every use on every WM wiki? (then we are compliant)
(b) gaining an exemption for them under the Wikimedia logos precedent?
(then... wait, we're still not compliant)
(c) asking CC if having the image description page link to the
corresponding license is close enough + (b) ('cause we've gotta put
/some/ explanation on the page itself)

Regards,
Brianna/user:pfctdayelise

Re: Creative Commons logos up for deletion, again

Mormegil
> So what are the chances of
> (a) getting a technical fix so that these images link to the required
> CC license, in every use on every WM wiki? (then we are compliant)

Note that this is partially possible even now, using CSS. See
[[Template:Click]].

-- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]

On 21/06/06, Petr Kadlec <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > So what are the chances of
> > (a) getting a technical fix so that these images link to the required
> > CC license, in every use on every WM wiki? (then we are compliant)
>
> Note that this is partially possible even now, using CSS. See
> [[Template:Click]].

The number of disclaimers and warnings on that template do not suggest
to me that we should use that as a solution on a quite decent
proportion of our pages. That's a hack, not a technical fix. :P

Brianna