Daily Mirror article today

David Gerard-2
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/tm_method=full%26objectid=18721683%26siteid=89520-name_page.html

Pretty good, actually. Long interview with Charles Matthews, shorter
chat with me.

A selection of amusing deleted stuff from BJAODN.

- d.

Re: Daily Mirror article today

James Hardy-2
Nintendo Wii gets more attention on Wikipedia than Hitler or World War Two?

Oh dear, sometimes I despair of our fellow editors....

Mind you, who am I to judge, I am sure someone looking at my contributions would see some questionable choices of topic

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/tm_method=full%26objectid=18721683%26siteid=89520-name_page.html

Pretty good, actually. Long interview with Charles Matthews, shorter
chat with me.

A selection of amusing deleted stuff from BJAODN.

- d.

Re: Daily Mirror article today

geni

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/awful-links/awful-link-4103.php

--
geni

Wikipedia Logo

Stephen Streater
Does anyone know what the English
law restrictions are on using a logo?

I am making a video which, inter alia,
mentions a whole bunch of web-based
applications, and I'm including logos
of the companies I mention.

I seem to remember that Wikipedia was
a bit touchy about people using their logo,
but fair use seems to allow it if you are
talking about the logo's owner.

An up to date opinion on this
would be useful.

Re: Wikipedia Logo

geni
On 02/11/2007, Stephen Streater <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does anyone know what the English
> law restrictions are on using a logo?

Legally you can't use it without the copyright holder's permission (in
this case the wikimedia foundation) unless your actions are in line
with the fair dealing provisions of UK copyright law. You could just
ask the foundation for permission.

--
geni

Re: Wikipedia Logo

Michael Bimmler
Actually, from my experience, it is mostly enough to write the
foundation a little e-mail asking for permission to use the logo and
it will be mostly granted unless you're trying to make a huge business
out of it and/or make something that could be confounded with
Wikipedia (e.g. another encyclopedia)

Yours,
Michael

On 11/2/07, Gary Kirk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/11/2007, Stephen Streater <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Does anyone know what the English
> > law restrictions are on using a logo?
> >
> > I am making a video which, inter alia,
> > mentions a whole bunch of web-based
> > applications, and I'm including logos
> > of the companies I mention.
> >
> > I seem to remember that Wikipedia was
> > a bit touchy about people using their logo,
> > but fair use seems to allow it if you are
> > talking about the logo's owner.
> >
> > An up to date opinion on this
> > would be useful.

> Gary Kirk

Re: Wikipedia Logo

Alison M. Wheeler
On Fri, November 2, 2007 20:59, Michael Bimmler wrote:
> Actually, from my experience, it is mostly enough to write the
> foundation a little e-mail asking for permission to use the logo and...

Actually, Wikimedia UK can give permission if it is an acceptable purpose.
Write me ...

[hidden email]

Alison

Re: Wikipedia Logo

Katie Chan
On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 20:47 +0000, Stephen Streater wrote:

> Does anyone know what the English
> law restrictions are on using a logo?
>
> I am making a video which, inter alia,
> mentions a whole bunch of web-based
> applications, and I'm including logos
> of the companies I mention.
>
> I seem to remember that Wikipedia was
> a bit touchy about people using their logo,
> but fair use seems to allow it if you are
> talking about the logo's owner.
>
> An up to date opinion on this
> would be useful.

(IANAL)

It would really depends on how you're using it, as logo is copyrighted
& / trademarked, so would fall under the laws regarding "fair dealing"
just like text etc.

Some links that might help (or might not):
http://copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/uk_law_summary
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/ukpga_19880048_en_3#pt1-ch3-pb2-l1g30
http://copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p09_fair_use
http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/protect/logo_copyright

KTC

  - Heinrich Heine

Re: Wikipedia Logo

Katie Chan
On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 21:05 +0000, Alison Wheeler wrote:
> On Fri, November 2, 2007 20:59, Michael Bimmler wrote:
> > Actually, from my experience, it is mostly enough to write the
> > foundation a little e-mail asking for permission to use the logo and...
>
> Actually, Wikimedia UK can give permission if it is an acceptable purpose.
> Write me ...

From my reading of the email, Wikimedia (Wikipedia) was an example
rather than the question :

"I am making a video which, inter alia,
mentions a whole bunch of web-based
applications, and I'm including logos
of the companies I mention."

KTC

  - Heinrich Heine

Re: Wikipedia Logo

Stephen Streater

Hi!

My company writes an application accessible
through a web browser, so I would like to put
this is context of other modern applications
accessed the same way, by listing some.

The ones I am planning to mention are:
Yahoo!, Google, Ebay, Amazon, myspace,
Wikipedia, facebook and YouTube.

I'll write to you and see what you think.

Stephen

On 2 Nov 2007, at 21:05, Alison Wheeler wrote:

> On Fri, November 2, 2007 20:59, Michael Bimmler wrote:
>> Actually, from my experience, it is mostly enough to write the
>> foundation a little e-mail asking for permission to use the logo
>> and...
>
> Actually, Wikimedia UK can give permission if it is an acceptable
> purpose.
> Write me ...
>
> [hidden email]
>
> Alison

Re: Wikipedia Logo

Casey Brown-3
Yes, the Foundation has an agreement with Wikimedia UK allowing the use of its logo for many purposes; as CEO, Alison can allow you to use it through Wikimedia UK. :-)

On 11/2/07, Alison Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, November 2, 2007 20:59, Michael Bimmler wrote:
> Actually, from my experience, it is mostly enough to write the
> foundation a little e-mail asking for permission to use the logo and...

Actually, Wikimedia UK can give permission if it is an acceptable purpose.
Write me ...

[hidden email]

Alison

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---

Re: Wikipedia Logo

Stephen Streater
Thanks :-)

I've emailed Alison with more details.

I think it comes under the Fair use clause
"criticism and review", but Alison can make
her own judgement.

On 3 Nov 2007, at 03:55, Casey Brown wrote:

Yes, the Foundation has an agreement with Wikimedia UK allowing the use of its logo for many purposes; as CEO, Alison can allow you to use it through Wikimedia UK. :-)

On 11/2/07, Alison Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, November 2, 2007 20:59, Michael Bimmler wrote:
> Actually, from my experience, it is mostly enough to write the
> foundation a little e-mail asking for permission to use the logo and...

Actually, Wikimedia UK can give permission if it is an acceptable purpose.
Write me ...

[hidden email]

Alison

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---

Re: Wikipedia Logo

Florence Devouard-3
Alison Wheeler wrote:

> On Fri, November 2, 2007 20:59, Michael Bimmler wrote:
>> Actually, from my experience, it is mostly enough to write the
>> foundation a little e-mail asking for permission to use the logo and...
>
> Actually, Wikimedia UK can give permission if it is an acceptable purpose.
> Write me ...
>
> [hidden email]
>
> Alison

The agreement is here

http://internal.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Chapters/Agreement_between_chapters_and_Wikimedia_Foundation/Wikimedia_United_Kingdom

I have no idea whether you signed it already :-)

Ant

Re: Wikipedia Logo

Casey Brown-3
Clarification: I had assumed that this was beng dne for Wikiedia UK;
if you are a thirdy party requesting use of the logo, it is best to
just go through the Foundation.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023