Danish books until 1900 scanned for free on demand

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Danish books until 1900 scanned for free on demand

Lars Aronsson
The Danish Royal library (KB.dk) has announced a new
pilot project, starting November 1, 2012, and lasting
until the end of 2014.

Text in Danish:
http://www.kb.dk/da/nb/samling/dod/index.html

Text in English:
http://www.kb.dk/en/nb/samling/dod/index.html

My summary in English:

This is a partnership under the "EOD" (e-books on
demand) framework, http://books2ebooks.eu/da

Danish books older than 1600 have already been fully
digitized and can be downloaded as PDF from the REX
library catalog, but only from Danish IP addresses.

Danish books 1600-1700 are currently being digitized
and are being made available in the same way.

Danish books 1700-1900 can be digitized on demand,
by links in the REX catalog, and are e-mailed as a
PDF file to each customer. This service is made
FREE OF CHARGE.

The Swedish Royal library (KB.se) also participates
in the EOD program, but they charge 100 SEK per book
plus 3 SEK per page, or 400 SEK ($65, €45) for a
typical book of 300 pages.

The limitation to Danish IP addresses seems ridiculous
to me. I have asked for the reason. I hope someone in
Denmark can mass upload these PDF files to Wikimedia
Commons.


--
   Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])
   Project Runeberg - free Nordic literature - http://runeberg.org/


_______________________________________________
WikiDA-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikida-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikisource-l] Danish books until 1900 scanned for free on demand

Lars Aronsson
On 11/07/2012 04:54 PM, Lars Aronsson wrote:
> The limitation to Danish IP addresses seems ridiculous
> to me. I have asked for the reason. I hope someone in
> Denmark can mass upload these PDF files to Wikimedia
> Commons.

The reason given by KB.dk for the limitation to Danish
IP addresses is that the older (pre-1700) books are
digitized in collaboration with ProQuest as part of
their commercial offering 'Early European Books',
http://www.kb.dk/en/nb/materialer/e-ressourcer/proquest.html

So, can someone in Denmark download one such
book and see if the PDF file uses DRM, or if we can
somehow extract its content and upload it to
Wikimedia Commons?


--
   Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])
   Project Runeberg - free Nordic literature - http://runeberg.org/


_______________________________________________
WikiDA-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikida-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikisource-l] Danish books until 1900 scanned for free on demand

Ole Palnatoke Andersen-2
As mentioned on [hidden email] last week-ish, I have ordered a
book to see how it works.

Regards,
Ole


On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Lars Aronsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/07/2012 04:54 PM, Lars Aronsson wrote:
>
>> The limitation to Danish IP addresses seems ridiculous
>> to me. I have asked for the reason. I hope someone in
>> Denmark can mass upload these PDF files to Wikimedia
>> Commons.
>>
>
> The reason given by KB.dk for the limitation to Danish
> IP addresses is that the older (pre-1700) books are
> digitized in collaboration with ProQuest as part of
> their commercial offering 'Early European Books',
> http://www.kb.dk/en/nb/**materialer/e-ressourcer/**proquest.html<http://www.kb.dk/en/nb/materialer/e-ressourcer/proquest.html>
>
> So, can someone in Denmark download one such
> book and see if the PDF file uses DRM, or if we can
> somehow extract its content and upload it to
> Wikimedia Commons?
>
>
>
> --
>   Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])
>   Project Runeberg - free Nordic literature - http://runeberg.org/
>
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> WikiDA-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/**mailman/listinfo/wikida-l<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikida-l>
>



--
http://palnatoke.org * @palnatoke * +4522934588
_______________________________________________
WikiDA-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikida-l