Dead Links

admin
hi, is this list active?

there appears to be a dead link on the group page pointing to this list:

dead link:
"You can also use the gmane web interface for reading AND posting to the
list.
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/"

also, the welcome email from this list has confusing info:
"send a message to the list by sending it to: [hidden email]"

and

"To post to this list, send your email to:
[hidden email]"

cheers

Re: Dead Links

Mark A. Hershberger-4
[hidden email] writes:

> dead link: "You can also use the gmane web interface for reading AND
> posting to the list.
> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/"

GMANE's NNTP interface for reading mailing lists is still up (I'm using
it), but the NNTP posting is down,

It looks like the website itself is barely limping along.

It is probably time to update that information.

Mark.

--
Mark A. Hershberger
NicheWork LLC

Re: Dead Links

zppix e
Welcome message needs updated unless there is @wikimedia.org alias

Thanks,
Zppix
Volunteer Developer for WMF
Volunteer Support for Mozilla
www.enwp.org/User:Zppix

On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 8:18 PM, Mark A. Hershberger <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [hidden email] writes:
>
> > dead link: "You can also use the gmane web interface for reading AND
> > posting to the list.
> > http://news.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/"
>
> GMANE's NNTP interface for reading mailing lists is still up (I'm using
> it), but the NNTP posting is down,
>
> It looks like the website itself is barely limping along.
>
> It is probably time to update that information.
>
> Mark.
>
> --
> Mark A. Hershberger
> NicheWork LLC
> 717-271-1084

Re: Dead Links

Daniel Zahn-2
Please mail the list owners directly at

Re: Dead Links

Chad
On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 4:43 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi, is this list active?
>
> there appears to be a dead link on the group page pointing to this list:
>
> dead link:
> "You can also use the gmane web interface for reading AND posting to the
> list.
> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/"

I removed most of the information about Gmane.

> also, the welcome email from this list has confusing info:
> "send a message to the list by sending it to: [hidden email]"
>
> and
>
> "To post to this list, send your email to:
> [hidden email]"

Fixed the former address to use lists.wikimedia.org as it should. Probably
been well over a decade since someone looked at that. Good spotting!

-Chad

Re: Dead Links

Gergo Tisza
On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 4:52 PM, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I removed most of the information about Gmane.

We should provide something else that remotely resembles the twenty-first
century, though. GT (ex gossamer-threads) probably?

https://lists.gt.net/wiki/wikitech

Re: Dead Links

Tilman Bayer
On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 7:52 AM, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 4:43 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > hi, is this list active?
> >
> > there appears to be a dead link on the group page pointing to this list:
> >
> > dead link:
> > "You can also use the gmane web interface for reading AND posting to the
> > list.
> > http://news.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/"
> >

> I removed most of the information about Gmane.
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Overview also needs cleanup
in this regard, but that should probably be a larger effort across many
mailing lists.

--
Tilman Bayer
Senior Analyst