Debian and Ubuntu packages for MediaWiki now available

Debian and Ubuntu packages for MediaWiki now available

Legoktm
Hi,

I'm very excited to announce that Debian and Ubuntu packages for
MediaWiki are now available. These packages will follow the MediaWiki
LTS schedule and currently contain 1.27.1. If you've always wanted to
"sudo apt install mediawiki", then this is for you :)

For Debian users, you can get the mediawiki package for Jessie from the
official Debian repositories using jessie-backports, and it will be
included in the upcoming Stretch release.

Ubuntu users will need to enable a PPA for Xenial or Trusty to set up
the package.

Instructions, links, and help can all be found at
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Legoktm/Packages>. Please let me
know if you have any questions or feedback.

Finally, thanks to Luke Faraone, Faidon Liambotis, Moritz Mühlenhoff,
Max Semenik, Chad Horohoe, Antoine Musso, and all of the beta testers of
the package for making this a reality.

-- Legoktm

Re: Debian and Ubuntu packages for MediaWiki now available

Bryan Davis
On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 12:44 AM, Legoktm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm very excited to announce that Debian and Ubuntu packages for
> MediaWiki are now available. These packages will follow the MediaWiki
> LTS schedule and currently contain 1.27.1. If you've always wanted to
> "sudo apt install mediawiki", then this is for you :)
>
> For Debian users, you can get the mediawiki package for Jessie from the
> official Debian repositories using jessie-backports, and it will be
> included in the upcoming Stretch release.
>
> Ubuntu users will need to enable a PPA for Xenial or Trusty to set up
> the package.
>
> Instructions, links, and help can all be found at
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Legoktm/Packages>. Please let me
> know if you have any questions or feedback.
>
> Finally, thanks to Luke Faraone, Faidon Liambotis, Moritz Mühlenhoff,
> Max Semenik, Chad Horohoe, Antoine Musso, and all of the beta testers of
> the package for making this a reality.

Congratulations Legoktm! This is huge!

For those who haven't been following this, Legoktm started working
seriously on this project during the Wikimania 2015 hackathon in
Mexico City. He has kept the process moving over these many months and
worked through lots and lots of blocking issues that would have
stopped most people. For me this is just one more example of why
Legoktm is awesome and deserving of public praise. :)

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <[hidden email]>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA

Re: Debian and Ubuntu packages for MediaWiki now available

Cyken Zeraux
Its cool to see there's more easy deployment software being made. I have
been working on a similiar project meant to be like EasyEngine. Due to the
fact that there are better technologies out there than just apache and
mod-php. This is a step in the right direction, though. The biggest barrier
to developers and users having their own wiki's is that to install it
properly requires a lot of work.

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Bryan Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 12:44 AM, Legoktm <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm very excited to announce that Debian and Ubuntu packages for
> > MediaWiki are now available. These packages will follow the MediaWiki
> > LTS schedule and currently contain 1.27.1. If you've always wanted to
> > "sudo apt install mediawiki", then this is for you :)
> >
> > For Debian users, you can get the mediawiki package for Jessie from the
> > official Debian repositories using jessie-backports, and it will be
> > included in the upcoming Stretch release.
> >
> > Ubuntu users will need to enable a PPA for Xenial or Trusty to set up
> > the package.
> >
> > Instructions, links, and help can all be found at
> > <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Legoktm/Packages>. Please let me
> > know if you have any questions or feedback.
> >
> > Finally, thanks to Luke Faraone, Faidon Liambotis, Moritz Mühlenhoff,
> > Max Semenik, Chad Horohoe, Antoine Musso, and all of the beta testers of
> > the package for making this a reality.
>
> Congratulations Legoktm! This is huge!
>
> For those who haven't been following this, Legoktm started working
> seriously on this project during the Wikimania 2015 hackathon in
> Mexico City. He has kept the process moving over these many months and
> worked through lots and lots of blocking issues that would have
> stopped most people. For me this is just one more example of why
> Legoktm is awesome and deserving of public praise. :)
>
> Bryan
> --
> Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <[hidden email]>
> [[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA
> irc: bd808                                        v:415.839.6885 x6855

Re: Debian and Ubuntu packages for MediaWiki now available

Arthur Richards-2
Woah! This is rad! Awesome work :D

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 8:51 AM Cyken Zeraux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Its cool to see there's more easy deployment software being made. I have
> been working on a similiar project meant to be like EasyEngine. Due to the
> fact that there are better technologies out there than just apache and
> mod-php. This is a step in the right direction, though. The biggest barrier
> to developers and users having their own wiki's is that to install it
> properly requires a lot of work.
>
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Bryan Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 12:44 AM, Legoktm <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm very excited to announce that Debian and Ubuntu packages for
> > > MediaWiki are now available. These packages will follow the MediaWiki
> > > LTS schedule and currently contain 1.27.1. If you've always wanted to
> > > "sudo apt install mediawiki", then this is for you :)
> > >
> > > For Debian users, you can get the mediawiki package for Jessie from the
> > > official Debian repositories using jessie-backports, and it will be
> > > included in the upcoming Stretch release.
> > >
> > > Ubuntu users will need to enable a PPA for Xenial or Trusty to set up
> > > the package.
> > >
> > > Instructions, links, and help can all be found at
> > > <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Legoktm/Packages>. Please let me
> > > know if you have any questions or feedback.
> > >
> > > Finally, thanks to Luke Faraone, Faidon Liambotis, Moritz Mühlenhoff,
> > > Max Semenik, Chad Horohoe, Antoine Musso, and all of the beta testers
> of
> > > the package for making this a reality.
> >
> > Congratulations Legoktm! This is huge!
> >
> > For those who haven't been following this, Legoktm started working
> > seriously on this project during the Wikimania 2015 hackathon in
> > Mexico City. He has kept the process moving over these many months and
> > worked through lots and lots of blocking issues that would have
> > stopped most people. For me this is just one more example of why
> > Legoktm is awesome and deserving of public praise. :)
> >
> > Bryan
> > --
> > Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <[hidden email]>
> > [[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA
> > irc: bd808                                        v:415.839.6885 x6855

Re: Debian and Ubuntu packages for MediaWiki now available

Rob Lanphier-4
On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 11:44 PM, Legoktm <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Instructions, links, and help can all be found at
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Legoktm/Packages>. Please let me
> know if you have any questions or feedback.
>
> Finally, thanks to Luke Faraone, Faidon Liambotis, Moritz Mühlenhoff,
> Max Semenik, Chad Horohoe, Antoine Musso, and all of the beta testers of
> the package for making this a reality.

Congratulations, y'all!  This is a huge step toward making safe
installation of MediaWiki simple.  Thanks Legoktm for leading the charge!

Rob

Re: Debian and Ubuntu packages for MediaWiki now available

Don't forget to update the wiki:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Ubuntu
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Debian

- d.