Deleting a user account

Swoop
Can someone point me to the documentation which shows how to delete user accounts?

I am running mediawiki 1.5.7, and am logged in with sysop and bureaucrat permissions.

Thanks,
-s

Re: Deleting a user account

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
On 5/31/06, Swoop <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can someone point me to the documentation which shows how to delete user accounts?
>
> I am running mediawiki 1.5.7, and am logged in with sysop and bureaucrat permissions.

There is some sort of deleteoldusers.php script in the maintenance
directory, but aside from that there's no official way.

I might suggest editing the users table in the database and deleting
that row, but I've been told in the past that this can be a bad idea.

Re: Deleting a user account

Elliott F. Cable
It leaves edits with no editing user. Among other things; why do you
need to remove it, 'swoop'?

On May 31, 2006, at 8:06 AM, Sy Ali wrote:

> On 5/31/06, Swoop <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Can someone point me to the documentation which shows how to
>> delete user accounts?
>>
>> I am running mediawiki 1.5.7, and am logged in with sysop and
>> bureaucrat permissions.
>
> There is some sort of deleteoldusers.php script in the maintenance
> directory, but aside from that there's no official way.
>
> I might suggest editing the users table in the database and deleting
> that row, but I've been told in the past that this can be a bad idea.

Re: Deleting a user account

Andre-John Mas-3
A better solution would be to work out how to disable a user.
That way at least you have a historic track of the user, even
if they no longer have the ability to log in.

It leaves edits with no editing user. Among other things; why do you
need to remove it, 'swoop'?

On May 31, 2006, at 8:06 AM, Sy Ali wrote:

> On 5/31/06, Swoop <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Can someone point me to the documentation which shows how to
>> delete user accounts?
>>
>> I am running mediawiki 1.5.7, and am logged in with sysop and
>> bureaucrat permissions.
>
> There is some sort of deleteoldusers.php script in the maintenance
> directory, but aside from that there's no official way.
>
> I might suggest editing the users table in the database and deleting
> that row, but I've been told in the past that this can be a bad idea.

Re: Deleting a user account

Paul Johnson
On Wednesday 31 May 2006 14:04, Andre-John Mas wrote:
> A better solution would be to work out how to disable a user.
> That way at least you have a historic track of the user, even
> if they no longer have the ability to log in.

Unless the objective is spam(mer) removal.

--
Paul Johnson
Email and IM (XMPP & Google Talk): [hidden email]

Re: Deleting a user account

Elliott F. Cable
Not really, the spam edits would still reside in the system - so if
you removed the spammer, then the edits would be all messed up (have
no attached user ID)

On May 31, 2006, at 1:21 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Wednesday 31 May 2006 14:04, Andre-John Mas wrote:
>> A better solution would be to work out how to disable a user.
>> That way at least you have a historic track of the user, even
>> if they no longer have the ability to log in.
>
> Unless the objective is spam(mer) removal.
>
> --
> Paul Johnson
> Email and IM (XMPP & Google Talk): [hidden email]
> Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/
> Ursine:Jabber

Re: Deleting a user account

a@kid
could you just change the password on the account?

that would leave the edit history untouched
but disable any future edits using that account

Re: Deleting a user account

Alex Skrenchuk
Is there a way for sysops to change the password on the account without
directly touching the DB?

could you just change the password on the account?

that would leave the edit history untouched
but disable any future edits using that account

Re: Deleting a user account

Elliott F. Cable
Just block them indefinitely...

On May 31, 2006, at 2:35 PM, a@kid wrote:
> could you just change the password on the account?
>
> that would leave the edit history untouched
> but disable any future edits using that account

Re: Deleting a user account

Jeff Lane
We do this, but I've still found that I'm wanting to delete spammer
accounts for the following reasons:

1. The spammer accounts are very old and dormant.
2. The spammers continue to make new accounts.
3. The user list needlessly grows with many banned accounts.
4. The accounts often have usernames that are desired by real users.

It would be nice if Mediawiki could delete the account, and all edits
from deleted accounts would be attributed to either a) the last used IP
address for that account, or b) simply "User Deleted".

I supposed we could just renamed the accounts to User Deleted ### and
just increment the number, but that would only help with #4.

-Jeff

> could you just change the password on the account?
>
> that would leave the edit history untouched
> but disable any future edits using that account

Re: Deleting a user account

Paul Johnson
Please quote properly, Outlook-style overquoting is considered harmful.
http://ursine.ca/Top_Posting

On Wednesday 31 May 2006 15:04, Elliott F. Cable wrote:
> Not really, the spam edits would still reside in the system - so if
> you removed the spammer, then the edits would be all messed up (have
> no attached user ID)

Generally speaking, wouldn't it make sense to delete associated edits as well?

--
Paul Johnson
Email and IM (XMPP & Google Talk): [hidden email]
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber

Re: Deleting a user account

Rob Church
On 01/06/06, Jeff Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We do this, but I've still found that I'm wanting to delete spammer
> accounts for the following reasons:
>
> 1. The spammer accounts are very old and dormant.
> 2. The spammers continue to make new accounts.
> 3. The user list needlessly grows with many banned accounts.
> 4. The accounts often have usernames that are desired by real users.
>
> It would be nice if Mediawiki could delete the account, and all edits
> from deleted accounts would be attributed to either a) the last used IP
> address for that account, or b) simply "User Deleted".
>
> I supposed we could just renamed the accounts to User Deleted ### and
> just increment the number, but that would only help with #4.

If edits are all the account's done, you can use the reassignEdits
maintenance script to assign the edits to a dumb user, such as
"Deleted User", and then delete the rows from the users table. You'd
need to be sure no log entries, images, etc. referred to the user
though.

Rob Church

Re: Deleting a user account

Elliott F. Cable
I think not. Sort of the concept of wiki is that all edits are
recorded... even bad ones...

On May 31, 2006, at 4:07 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:

> Please quote properly, Outlook-style overquoting is considered
> harmful.
> http://ursine.ca/Top_Posting
>
> On Wednesday 31 May 2006 15:04, Elliott F. Cable wrote:
>> Not really, the spam edits would still reside in the system - so if
>> you removed the spammer, then the edits would be all messed up (have
>> no attached user ID)
>
> Generally speaking, wouldn't it make sense to delete associated
> edits as well?
>
> --
> Paul Johnson
> Email and IM (XMPP & Google Talk): [hidden email]
> Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/
> Ursine:Jabber

Re: Deleting a user account

Laird Shaw
On Wed, 31 May 2006 17:02:38 -0700, Jeff Lane wrote:

> We do this, but I've still found that I'm wanting to delete spammer
> accounts for the following reasons:
>
> 1. The spammer accounts are very old and dormant.
> 2. The spammers continue to make new accounts.
> 3. The user list needlessly grows with many banned accounts.
> 4. The accounts often have usernames that are desired by real users.

This approach might be useful for you:
a) add a 'spambot' group with restricted rights to LocalSettings.php:
$wgGroupPermissions['spambot']['read']          = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['spambot']['edit']          = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['spambot']['move']          = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['spambot']['upload']        = false;
... any other rights that you need to block ...
b) add the spam accounts to that group - manually or by sql
c) apply a patch [*] to hide spam accounts from a default user listing,
and enable it by adding to LocalSettings.php:
$wgHiddenGroups = array('spambot');

This deals with 3 and slightly with 1; it assumes that mostly 1 can be
ignored, and that 2 needs to be handled by other protective means - e.g.
Rob Church's UsernameBlacklist.php extension.  To handle 4 you'd need to
rename the account e.g. using Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason's Renameuser.php
extension, but you seem to have a handle on that part already.

If you capture a full enough set of restricted rights, there is also no
longer a need to block the accounts (although you might consider it wise
or appropriate to block them anyway).

[*]
<http://clc-test.flash-gordon.me.uk/wiki/clc-wiki:Config:Wiki#Spam_account_filtering_patch>
(draft article on the test site; might not end up as a permanent link)

[...]
--
http://members.dodo.com.au/~netocrat

Re: Deleting a user account

Swoop

I am rolling out MediaWiki on my intranet. Some users have created more than one account for themselves.  I dont know why they did this.  I would like to remove the redundant user accounts.

      ----

On 01/06/06, Swoop <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am rolling out MediaWiki on my intranet. Some users have created more than one account for themselves.  I dont know why they did this.  I would like to remove the redundant user accounts.

As mentioned before, if the accounts have made no edits, run the
removeUnusedAccounts maintenance script to remove them.

If there have been edits, you can try reassigning them (reassignEdits
script) and then running the removal script.

Rob Church