Demo for Concise Wikipedia proposal

Waldir Pimenta
Hi all,

Since the Concise Wikipedia proposal[1] has been mentioned in the last two
Signpost editions[2][3] (and after being nudged by Sumana), I figured I'd
drop a note here in case anyone will be interested in trying out a demo I
set up to explore the idea, espoused by many in the proposal discussion,
that such a proposal should not be a separate project, but integrate with
Wikipedia's lead/introduction sections instead.

I called my demo "Primerpedia" (suggestions for better names welcome, see
[4]), and it can be accessed here: http://waldir.github.com/primerpedia

It uses the API to fetch the lead section of an article (currently only
should provide a good way to test its expected self-containing, summarizing
properties, as defined in the MOS:LEAD guideline.

I am aware of several shortcomings in the current implementation and plan
to improve it further; any suggestions or issue reports are welcome at [5]
or directly on this thread for convenience.

--Waldir

1. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Concise_Wikipedia
2.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2012-12-03/Discussion_report
3.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2012-12-17/Discussion_report
4. https://github.com/waldir/primerpedia/wiki
5. https://github.com/waldir/primerpedia/issues

Re: Demo for Concise Wikipedia proposal

Antoine Musso-3
Le 20/12/12 05:15, Waldir Pimenta a écrit :
> I called my demo "Primerpedia" (suggestions for better names welcome, see
> [4]), and it can be accessed here: http://waldir.github.com/primerpedia

I love it! I am a [[Special:random]] addict and offering only the first
paragraph will let me get more random articles per minutes :-D

I love the green Edit button.

Maybe we should adopt your tool to replace / enhance Wikipedia main
landing page at  http://www.wikipedia.org/

A minor suggestion: maybe add a footer listing the license and the URL
of the article.

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

Re: Demo for Concise Wikipedia proposal

Tei-2
On 20 December 2012 05:15, Waldir Pimenta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Since the Concise Wikipedia proposal[1] has been mentioned in the last two
> Signpost editions[2][3] (and after being nudged by Sumana), I figured I'd
> drop a note here in case anyone will be interested in trying out a demo I
> set up to explore the idea, espoused by many in the proposal discussion,
> that such a proposal should not be a separate project, but integrate with
> Wikipedia's lead/introduction sections instead.
>
> I called my demo "Primerpedia" (suggestions for better names welcome, see
> [4]), and it can be accessed here: http://waldir.github.com/primerpedia
>
> It uses the API to fetch the lead section of an article (currently only
> should provide a good way to test its expected self-containing, summarizing
> properties, as defined in the MOS:LEAD guideline.

I have some Web 2.0 ideas that I don't know if break standards, or possible.

1) change the #hash of the page to the term defined.
2) wen the page load, checks the hash, and autoload the term of the hash

http://waldir.github.com/primerpedia/#Ceratucha would autoload the
article Ceratucha

I like the idea of a Concise Wikipedia,... It seems another way to
make a pedia better.

On my company we just launched a "Subjetivism Pedia" in spanish named
cloping.com, with all the definitions, one for every person on every
subject  ( so Wikipedia can have all the objetivism, and cloping.com
everything else )

--
ℱin del ℳensaje.