Deprecating print-on-demand functionality

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Deprecating print-on-demand functionality

Erik Moeller-4
Since 2008, we've offered a small feature to download printed books
from Wikipedia article. This is done in partnership with a company
called PediaPress.

They've sold about 15K books over that time period, not enough to
break even, and the support/maintenance burden for the service is no
longer worth it for them.

We'll disable this feature in coming weeks. We'd only continue to
offer it if  there's 1) strong community interest in maintaining it,
and 2) a partner who steps up to provide the service.

We'll continue to provide PDF downloads (soon with a new rendering engine).

Thanks,
Erik

--
Erik Möller
VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Deprecating print-on-demand functionality

Thomas Gries
Am 11.07.2014 00:25, schrieb Erik Moeller:
> Since 2008, we've offered a small feature to download printed books
> from Wikipedia article. This is done in partnership with a company
> called PediaPress.
>
> They've sold about 15K books over that time period, not enough to
> break even, and the support/maintenance burden for the service is no
> longer worth it for them.
>
> We'll disable this feature in coming weeks.
It's a pity, as I liked that service/very much/, it was quick, reliable,
perfect quality, not too expensive.
The only feature what I missed was the inability to add further PDF pages.
>   We'd only continue to
> offer it if  there's 1) strong community interest in maintaining it,
> and 2) a partner who steps up to provide the service.
>
> We'll continue to provide PDF downloads (soon with a new rendering engine).
>
> Thanks,
> Erik
>

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Deprecating print-on-demand functionality

Erik Moeller-4
In reply to this post by Erik Moeller-4
On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 8:45 AM, Luca Martinelli
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> so the Book Creator will still be active, maybe under another name,
> maybe with another engine, but still active?

Same name and functionality, just the "Order a printed book" feature
will disappear.

Erik
--
Erik Möller
VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Deprecating print-on-demand functionality

phoebe ayers-3
On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 8:48 AM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 8:45 AM, Luca Martinelli
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > so the Book Creator will still be active, maybe under another name,
> > maybe with another engine, but still active?
>
> Same name and functionality, just the "Order a printed book" feature
> will disappear.
>
> Erik
>

That is great -- the book creator and PDF tools are both good tools, and
are very handy for projects big and small, especially projects like
Wikibooks and Wikivoyage that need to make offline reading easy. (I have
actually used both tools the most on internal wikis; when I need to catch
up on big discussions, I've made many pdfs from meta that I can read
offline.)

It was a worthwhile experiment with Pediapress, and I'm glad they stuck
with it as long as they did!

best,
-- Phoebe
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-ambassadors] Deprecating print-on-demand functionality

Matthew Walker
In reply to this post by Erik Moeller-4
The new renderer should already be working in Hebrew and other RTLs.

~Matt Walker
Wikimedia Foundation


On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Itzik Edri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any plans also to improve this module and make it work well also in Hebrew
> (and maybe other RTL languages)?
>
>
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 6:48 PM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 8:45 AM, Luca Martinelli
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > so the Book Creator will still be active, maybe under another name,
> > > maybe with another engine, but still active?
> >
> > Same name and functionality, just the "Order a printed book" feature
> > will disappear.
> >
> > Erik
> > --
> > Erik Möller
> > VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> > [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> > <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-ambassadors] Deprecating print-on-demand functionality

Luiz Augusto-2
Hi Matthew,

Also on Extension:Collection, do you know what is the current stage for Bug
66597 <https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=66597> ("Book tool
incompatible with ProofreadPage extension, again")?

Best,
[[:m:User:555]]


On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 1:06 PM, Matthew Walker <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The new renderer should already be working in Hebrew and other RTLs.
>
> ~Matt Walker
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
>
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Itzik Edri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Any plans also to improve this module and make it work well also in
> Hebrew
> > (and maybe other RTL languages)?
> >
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 6:48 PM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 8:45 AM, Luca Martinelli
> > > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > > so the Book Creator will still be active, maybe under another name,
> > > > maybe with another engine, but still active?
> > >
> > > Same name and functionality, just the "Order a printed book" feature
> > > will disappear.
> > >
> > > Erik
> > > --
> > > Erik Möller
> > > VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> > > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> > > [hidden email]
> > > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> > > <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
> > >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> > [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> > <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l