Desktop upload tool

Platonides
As some of you are already aware, I'm doing for this GSoC a Desktop tool
for conveniently uploading images to commons.
 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.wikilovesmonuments/2641

How can you help with this?

a) Propose a cool name for this tool

b) Suggest new functionalities/requisites
Either on http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Platonides/GSOC_proposal or
in this thread.

c) Volunteer for testing the program and giving early feedback
(please reply directly to avoid spamming the mailing list with "I can
test it, too")

Re: Desktop upload tool

John Doe-27
One thing I have done quite a bit of was Image modification. Everything
from watermark removal to coping to rotating. When Im on a spur of
watermark removal, it would be awesome if I could just point the program to
a directory of fixed files, set a upload summary and have the bot upload
those files keeping the existing file information. (that is the biggest
drawback of  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Tools/Commonist )

John

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Platonides <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As some of you are already aware, I'm doing for this GSoC a Desktop tool
> for conveniently uploading images to commons.
>  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.wikilovesmonuments/2641
>
> How can you help with this?
>
> a) Propose a cool name for this tool
>

> b) Suggest new functionalities/requisites
> Either on http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Platonides/GSOC_proposal or
> in this thread.
>

> c) Volunteer for testing the program and giving early feedback
> (please reply directly to avoid spamming the mailing list with "I can
> test it, too")

Re: Desktop upload tool

Platonides
On 25/05/12 17:55, John wrote:
> One thing I have done quite a bit of was Image modification. Everything
> from watermark removal to coping to rotating. When Im on a spur of
> watermark removal, it would be awesome if I could just point the program to
> a directory of fixed files, set a upload summary and have the bot upload
> those files keeping the existing file information. (that is the biggest
> drawback of  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Tools/Commonist )
>
> John

Oh, that's an interesting use case. Reuploads, where there's no need to
provide upload metadata or license. That's not the primary target, but
I'll keep it in mind.
Thanks!

Re: Desktop upload tool

Steve Bennett-8
On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 1:47 AM, Platonides <[hidden email]> wrote:
> b) Suggest new functionalities/requisites
> Either on http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Platonides/GSOC_proposal or
> in this thread.

* Would be nice if the tool maintains a relationship between the file
on disk, the metadata the user specified, and the file in Commons (or
wherever). So:
1) you always know which files have been uploaded, which haven't etc
2) you can use the tool to edit metadata for files that have already
been uploaded
3) (maybe) you can use the tool to edit metadata for files that
weren't actually uploaded through the tool (but are under your user
account, for example)

* "The user can change / add categories." - using appropriate
drop-down choices from the target site.

* Can (configurably) use information such as directory name or
accompanying text file to determine file name, description, etc.

I generally like the Commonist, so it should have most of that functionality.

Steve

Re: Desktop upload tool

Petr Bena
I would name it Snuggle, so that it's in harmony with Huggle :)

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 5:55 PM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One thing I have done quite a bit of was Image modification. Everything
> from watermark removal to coping to rotating. When Im on a spur of
> watermark removal, it would be awesome if I could just point the program to
> a directory of fixed files, set a upload summary and have the bot upload
> those files keeping the existing file information. (that is the biggest
> drawback of  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Tools/Commonist )
>
> John
>
> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Platonides <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> As some of you are already aware, I'm doing for this GSoC a Desktop tool
>> for conveniently uploading images to commons.
>>  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.wikilovesmonuments/2641
>>
>> How can you help with this?
>>
>> a) Propose a cool name for this tool
>>

>> b) Suggest new functionalities/requisites
>> Either on http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Platonides/GSOC_proposal or
>> in this thread.
>>

>> c) Volunteer for testing the program and giving early feedback
>> (please reply directly to avoid spamming the mailing list with "I can
>> test it, too")

Re: Desktop upload tool

Mike DuPont
How will it be different than the commonist? geotagging would be one
big feature and the ability to group photos with common tags would be
useful!
mike

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 7:16 AM, Petr Bena <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would name it Snuggle, so that it's in harmony with Huggle :)
>
> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 5:55 PM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> One thing I have done quite a bit of was Image modification. Everything
>> from watermark removal to coping to rotating. When Im on a spur ofH>> watermark removal, it would be awesome if I could just point the program to
>> a directory of fixed files, set a upload summary and have the bot upload
>> those files keeping the existing file information. (that is the biggest
>> drawback of  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Tools/Commonist )
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Platonides <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> As some of you are already aware, I'm doing for this GSoC a Desktop tool
>>> for conveniently uploading images to commons.
>>>  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.wikilovesmonuments/2641
>>>
>>> How can you help with this?
>>>
>>> a) Propose a cool name for this tool
>>>

>>> b) Suggest new functionalities/requisites
>>> Either on http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Platonides/GSOC_proposal or
>>> in this thread.
>>>

>>> c) Volunteer for testing the program and giving early feedback
>>> (please reply directly to avoid spamming the mailing list with "I can
>>> test it, too")

James Michael DuPont
Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3