DevSummit appreciation

Erik Moeller-4
Just a quick note that I really appreciated everyone's help making the
summit come together. As always, we'll be doing lots of second-guessing of
everything we did and didn't do, and how we want to use future time
together. Before we go into that, I'd like to thank the event team and
_everyone_ who worked to and beyond the point of exhaustion to organize the
event, support attendees, plan sessions, facilitate conversations,
negotiate sometimes difficult terrain.

Thank you. :)

Erik

--
Erik Möller
VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Engineering] DevSummit appreciation

Joel Sahleen
Here, here! Thanks to everyone who helped put this event together. Great job!

Joel Sahleen, Software Engineer
Language Engineering

On Jan 27, 2015, at 10:43 PM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a quick note that I really appreciated everyone's help making the summit come together. As always, we'll be doing lots of second-guessing of everything we did and didn't do, and how we want to use future time together. Before we go into that, I'd like to thank the event team and _everyone_ who worked to and beyond the point of exhaustion to organize the event, support attendees, plan sessions, facilitate conversations, negotiate sometimes difficult terrain.
>
> Thank you. :)
>
> Erik
>
> --
> Erik Möller
> VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Engineering] DevSummit appreciation

Brion Vibber-4
Agreed - we had a great space and good support, the WiFi worked, power
strips everywhere, and there was always coffee. I can ask for little
more... ;)

Thanks also to our fellow attendees -- I had a lot of great conversations
and got a lot of data points to help set my work directions for the coming
months.

Everybody there was awesome even when we had contentious issues -- I want
to thank everybody for having a positive attitude and working together.

-- brion
On Jan 27, 2015 10:44 PM, "Erik Moeller" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a quick note that I really appreciated everyone's help making the
> summit come together. As always, we'll be doing lots of second-guessing of
> everything we did and didn't do, and how we want to use future time
> together. Before we go into that, I'd like to thank the event team and
> _everyone_ who worked to and beyond the point of exhaustion to organize the
> event, support attendees, plan sessions, facilitate conversations,
> negotiate sometimes difficult terrain.
>
> Thank you. :)
>
> Erik
>
> --
> Erik Möller
> VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Engineering] DevSummit appreciation

Tyler Romeo
I have to say: I think the presentations this year were better than ever, and we definitely got a lot of important discussion done concerning the future of SOA and MediaWiki.

--
Tyler Romeo
0x405D34A7C86B42DF

On January 28, 2015 at 09:16:00, Brion Vibber ([hidden email]) wrote:

Agreed - we had a great space and good support, the WiFi worked, power
strips everywhere, and there was always coffee. I can ask for little
more... ;)

Thanks also to our fellow attendees -- I had a lot of great conversations
and got a lot of data points to help set my work directions for the coming
months.

Everybody there was awesome even when we had contentious issues -- I want
to thank everybody for having a positive attitude and working together.

-- brion
On Jan 27, 2015 10:44 PM, "Erik Moeller" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a quick note that I really appreciated everyone's help making the
> summit come together. As always, we'll be doing lots of second-guessing of
> everything we did and didn't do, and how we want to use future time
> together. Before we go into that, I'd like to thank the event team and
> _everyone_ who worked to and beyond the point of exhaustion to organize the
> event, support attendees, plan sessions, facilitate conversations,
> negotiate sometimes difficult terrain.
>
> Thank you. :)
>
> Erik
>
> --
> Erik Möller
> VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: DevSummit appreciation

Isarra Yos
On 28/01/15 06:43, Erik Moeller wrote:
> Just a quick note that I really appreciated everyone's help making the
> summit come together. As always, we'll be doing lots of second-guessing of
> everything we did and didn't do, and how we want to use future time
> together. Before we go into that, I'd like to thank the event team and
> _everyone_ who worked to and beyond the point of exhaustion to organize the
> event, support attendees, plan sessions, facilitate conversations,
> negotiate sometimes difficult terrain.
>
> Thank you. :)

Yeeees, this. It was awesome and there were issues, but there are always
issues and when none of the issues were problematic that's great. If
that makes sense; I still haven't slept after getting back from it. But
you know what I mean.

Seriously, thank you to everyone - those who put in all the work to make
it happen, and those who were there and did stuff and things and things
and stuff and I'm babbling yay why am I even awake.

Re: [Engineering] DevSummit appreciation

Rob Lanphier-4
Huge +tons to everything below (and top posting to drive Mz up the wall)
 :-)

As Erik said, I know I'm probably going to be driving Rachel and Quim nuts
with my handwringing and second guessing as we figure out the pros and cons
of how things went this year so that we can keep improving this.  But, both
of them (and everyone they pulled in) worked like hell put on a great show,
and gave us a wonderful space to have some great conversations about our
future engineering direction.  Thank you!

Rob

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 9:15 AM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Agreed - we had a great space and good support, the WiFi worked, power
> strips everywhere, and there was always coffee. I can ask for little
> more... ;)
>
> Thanks also to our fellow attendees -- I had a lot of great conversations
> and got a lot of data points to help set my work directions for the coming
> months.
>
> Everybody there was awesome even when we had contentious issues -- I want
> to thank everybody for having a positive attitude and working together.
>
> -- brion
> On Jan 27, 2015 10:44 PM, "Erik Moeller" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Just a quick note that I really appreciated everyone's help making the
> > summit come together. As always, we'll be doing lots of second-guessing
> of
> > everything we did and didn't do, and how we want to use future time
> > together. Before we go into that, I'd like to thank the event team and
> > _everyone_ who worked to and beyond the point of exhaustion to organize
> the
> > event, support attendees, plan sessions, facilitate conversations,
> > negotiate sometimes difficult terrain.
> >
> > Thank you. :)
> >
> > Erik
> >
> > --
> > Erik Möller
> > VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Engineering] DevSummit appreciation

Tony Thomas
Thanks again to the Foundation for inviting volunteers ( like me ) to the
summit. It was a great experience to see my mentors and other guys in IRC
off-line face to face for the first time.
Regarding the BounceHandler extension - I could get various inputs from
other devs who had implemented the same in their environment. The stay and
location was superb. I missed some Indian foods though ( thanks to the
fruits ). Our deployment plans got delayed due to the security bug that
came, making the Ops team busy. We hope to get it done this week though.
Thanks again Qum and Rachel and other staff+volunteers for such a great
event.

Thanks,
Tony Thomas <http://tttwrites.wordpress.com/>
FOSS@Amrita <http://foss.amrita.ac.in>

*"where there is a wifi, there is a way"*

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 4:04 AM, Rob Lanphier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Huge +tons to everything below (and top posting to drive Mz up the wall)
>  :-)
>
> As Erik said, I know I'm probably going to be driving Rachel and Quim nuts
> with my handwringing and second guessing as we figure out the pros and cons
> of how things went this year so that we can keep improving this.  But, both
> of them (and everyone they pulled in) worked like hell put on a great show,
> and gave us a wonderful space to have some great conversations about our
> future engineering direction.  Thank you!
>
> Rob
>

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 9:15 AM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Agreed - we had a great space and good support, the WiFi worked, power
> > strips everywhere, and there was always coffee. I can ask for little
> > more... ;)
> >
> > Thanks also to our fellow attendees -- I had a lot of great conversations
> > and got a lot of data points to help set my work directions for the
> coming
> > months.
> >
> > Everybody there was awesome even when we had contentious issues -- I want
> > to thank everybody for having a positive attitude and working together.
> >
> > -- brion
> > On Jan 27, 2015 10:44 PM, "Erik Moeller" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Just a quick note that I really appreciated everyone's help making the
> > > summit come together. As always, we'll be doing lots of second-guessing
> > of
> > > everything we did and didn't do, and how we want to use future time
> > > together. Before we go into that, I'd like to thank the event team and
> > > _everyone_ who worked to and beyond the point of exhaustion to organize
> > the
> > > event, support attendees, plan sessions, facilitate conversations,
> > > negotiate sometimes difficult terrain.
> > >
> > > Thank you. :)
> > >
> > > Erik
> > >
> > > --
> > > Erik Möller
> > > VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Engineering] DevSummit appreciation

Florian Schmidt
I want to hook up to this e-mail from @Tony Thomas. First: Special thanks to Jon, Quim and Rachel (and the Wikimedia travel team!) to make it possible to be there so shortly. It was a great experience, see all people "in real live and in color", talk to them and be part of the discussions, presentations and shared ideas and visions :)

For me, it was really productive to talk to the peoples directly and discussed recent problems and find solutions and first steps to a solution.

Thanks!
Florian