Developer's Q/A - meet that hackers at Wikimania

Developer's Q/A - meet that hackers at Wikimania

Daniel Kinzler
Hello all

As you probably know, this year's Wikimania will again feature hacking days
(which I help to organize), just before Wikimania proper. However, the current
setup is missing an opportunity for developers and chapter people to get
together and talk about what the community wants and needs.

So, I would like to propose to have a Q/A session where the community can ask
questions to developers. I'd like to do this during Wikimania proper, so
everyone has a chance to attend.

The question is: are people interested? Or is it just my silly idea?

I feel that people often have "small" questions that developers could answer
quickly, or there are long standing issues and it's unclear why they don't get
fixed. But often people don't know who to ask, or when or how. At the Wikimedia
Conference in Berlin last year, some people used the opportunity to grab a
techie, which was good, but it was while standing up, over coffee. I'd like to
give this a bit more time, space and especially attention.

So, would you be interested in such a session? Or do you know people who would be?

Please let me know.

Cheers
Daniel

PS: Danese suggested a "fishbowl" type session for this. I think that's a good
idea. Look it up on Wikipedia if you don't know what it is - I didn't :)

Re: Developer's Q/A - meet that hackers at Wikimania

KIZU Naoko
Hello,

I think it'll be great. Not at this moment rightly, but sometimes in
the past I would have liked to ask devs questions tiny and hence
hesitate to post to wikitech-l. IRC helped somehow but timezones have
been always a barrier, and in these days I tend not to know who to
speak, even if I still know some of devs and sysadmins personally and
have realized enough none of them would bite.

I guess I wouldn't be an exception in this community and such a
face-to-face Q/A time in a relaxed atmosphere would help a lot.

Cheers,

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Daniel Kinzler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all
>
> As you probably know, this year's Wikimania will again feature hacking days
> (which I help to organize), just before Wikimania proper. However, the current
> setup is missing an opportunity for developers and chapter people to get
> together and talk about what the community wants and needs.
>
> So, I would like to propose to have a Q/A session where the community can ask
> questions to developers. I'd like to do this during Wikimania proper, so
> everyone has a chance to attend.
>
> The question is: are people interested? Or is it just my silly idea?
>
> I feel that people often have "small" questions that developers could answer
> quickly, or there are long standing issues and it's unclear why they don't get
> fixed. But often people don't know who to ask, or when or how. At the Wikimedia
> Conference in Berlin last year, some people used the opportunity to grab a
> techie, which was good, but it was while standing up, over coffee. I'd like to
> give this a bit more time, space and especially attention.
>
> So, would you be interested in such a session? Or do you know people who would be?
>
> Please let me know.
>

> Cheers
> Daniel
>
> PS: Danese suggested a "fishbowl" type session for this. I think that's a good
> idea. Look it up on Wikipedia if you don't know what it is - I didn't :)

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

Re: Developer's Q/A - meet that hackers at Wikimania

Manuel Schneider-3
Hi Daniel,

Am 20.01.2011 13:47, schrieb Daniel Kinzler:
> So, I would like to propose to have a Q/A session where the community can ask
> questions to developers. I'd like to do this during Wikimania proper, so
> everyone has a chance to attend.

I think such a session should be part of the regular Wikimania schedule,
comparable to Brion's earlier "State of the Wiki" talks.

I would like to attend such a session.

/Manuel
--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Developer's Q/A - meet that hackers at Wikimania

Delphine Ménard
Hi Daniel,

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Daniel Kinzler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all
>
> As you probably know, this year's Wikimania will again feature hacking days
> (which I help to organize), just before Wikimania proper. However, the current
> setup is missing an opportunity for developers and chapter people to get
> together and talk about what the community wants and needs.
>
> So, I would like to propose to have a Q/A session where the community can ask
> questions to developers. I'd like to do this during Wikimania proper, so
> everyone has a chance to attend.
>
> The question is: are people interested? Or is it just my silly idea?

Not a silly idea at all, on the contrary. I have fond memories of the
Commons meeting in Paris where the techies and the non-techies sat
together and made things go forward. So please, go ahead in organizing
this, I think it's a great and potentially extremely interesting
opportunity to make sure that the contributors feel "heard" by the
developper community and vice-versa.

Delphine
--
@notafish

Re: Developer's Q/A - meet that hackers at Wikimania

Asaf Bartov
Very well, it seems there's demand for this, from a bunch of wikimedians who, in aggregate, are probably representative.

Time to create a CfP submission.  Daniel, would you do the honors?

Cheers,

   Asaf

2011/1/20 Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>
Hi Daniel,

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Daniel Kinzler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello all
>
> As you probably know, this year's Wikimania will again feature hacking days
> (which I help to organize), just before Wikimania proper. However, the current
> setup is missing an opportunity for developers and chapter people to get
> together and talk about what the community wants and needs.
>
> So, I would like to propose to have a Q/A session where the community can ask
> questions to developers. I'd like to do this during Wikimania proper, so
> everyone has a chance to attend.
>
> The question is: are people interested? Or is it just my silly idea?

Not a silly idea at all, on the contrary. I have fond memories of the
Commons meeting in Paris where the techies and the non-techies sat
together and made things go forward. So please, go ahead in organizing
this, I think it's a great and potentially extremely interesting
opportunity to make sure that the contributors feel "heard" by the
developper community and vice-versa.

Delphine
--
@notafish

Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]>

Re: Developer's Q/A - meet that hackers at Wikimania

Amir E. Aharoni
2011/1/20 Daniel Kinzler <[hidden email]>:
> So, I would like to propose to have a Q/A session where the community can ask
> questions to developers. I'd like to do this during Wikimania proper, so
> everyone has a chance to attend.
>
> The question is: are people interested? Or is it just my silly idea?

It's an excellent idea, but it may be a bit hard to implement.

There are a dozen or so bugs in Bugzilla which are very important to me, and i think that they are quite important for the whole WM community and i keep wondering when will they finally be fixed. But dozens of other people have dozens of other bugs which are important to them. Put them all in one room with a few developers, and most likely a very little fraction of the people's questions will be answered.

It doesn't mean that such a session shouldn't be held, but this problem should be kept in mind. One idea is to prepare the people who will participate in it that it will be a very "first-come-first-served" thing and to tell the people to prepare their questions precisely (e.g. to have the bug number) or maybe even to submit their questions in advance. Also, there can be a kind of a preparatory lecture explaining how the developers work in general, how do they decide on which bugs to work, etc.