Difference between #goal and #epic

Martin Urbanec
Hello everyone,

what is the exact difference between #goal and #epic on Phabricator?

Thanks

Martin / Urbanecm

Re: Difference between #goal and #epic

Daniel Zahn-2
#goal means a team has picked it as one of their goals to finish it in this
or an upcoming quarter
and #epic just means it is the opposite of trivial.. as in "takes really
long / is complex / involves many people".

afaict

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 1:23 PM Martin Urbanec <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> what is the exact difference between #goal and #epic on Phabricator?
>
> Thanks
>
> Martin / Urbanecm

Daniel Zahn <[hidden email]>
Operations Engineer

Re: Difference between #goal and #epic

Joel Aufrecht
Disclaimer: this is a description of what I have used them, not an
authoritative statement about how they should be used, nor a report on the
norms for the entire userbase for this Phabricator instance.

#epic identifies Phabricator tasks that comprise multiple other Phabricator
tasks.  They could be very large pieces of work, which have been decomposed
into many tasks via Child Tasks.  Or they could be 'tracking' tasks,
holding a list of lots of other tasks, either through parentage or lists in
the description or both.

#goal identifies a Phabricator task that does not represent work to be done
or a bug to be resolved, but instead is part of a project tracking system.

So #epic is a fairly common project management tem used in Wikimedia Phab
in its usual sense, and #goal has no set meaning other than what it means
to the people involved in teaching that task.

Joel Aufrecht (he/him, they/them)

Program Manager (Technology)

wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> what is the exact difference between #goal and #epic on Phabricator?
>
> Thanks
>
> Martin / Urbanecm

Re: Difference between #goal and #epic

Martin Urbanec
Thank you both, makes sense.

Martin

st 17. 7. 2019 v 3:27 odesílatel Joel Aufrecht <[hidden email]>
napsal:

> Disclaimer: this is a description of what I have used them, not an
> authoritative statement about how they should be used, nor a report on the
> norms for the entire userbase for this Phabricator instance.
>
> #epic identifies Phabricator tasks that comprise multiple other Phabricator
> tasks.  They could be very large pieces of work, which have been decomposed
> into many tasks via Child Tasks.  Or they could be 'tracking' tasks,
> holding a list of lots of other tasks, either through parentage or lists in
> the description or both.
>
> #goal identifies a Phabricator task that does not represent work to be done
> or a bug to be resolved, but instead is part of a project tracking system.
>
> So #epic is a fairly common project management tem used in Wikimedia Phab
> in its usual sense, and #goal has no set meaning other than what it means
> to the people involved in teaching that task.
>
> Joel Aufrecht (he/him, they/them)
>
> Program Manager (Technology)
>

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 1:23 PM Martin Urbanec <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > what is the exact difference between #goal and #epic on Phabricator?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Martin / Urbanecm

Re: Difference between #goal and #epic

Kosta Harlan
There’s some info here too https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Project_management <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Project_management>

Kosta

> On Jul 17, 2019, at 2:20 PM, Martin Urbanec <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you both, makes sense.
>
> Martin
>
> st 17. 7. 2019 v 3:27 odesílatel Joel Aufrecht <[hidden email]>
> napsal:
>
>> Disclaimer: this is a description of what I have used them, not an
>> authoritative statement about how they should be used, nor a report on the
>> norms for the entire userbase for this Phabricator instance.
>>
>> #epic identifies Phabricator tasks that comprise multiple other Phabricator
>> tasks.  They could be very large pieces of work, which have been decomposed
>> into many tasks via Child Tasks.  Or they could be 'tracking' tasks,
>> holding a list of lots of other tasks, either through parentage or lists in
>> the description or both.
>>
>> #goal identifies a Phabricator task that does not represent work to be done
>> or a bug to be resolved, but instead is part of a project tracking system.
>>
>> So #epic is a fairly common project management tem used in Wikimedia Phab
>> in its usual sense, and #goal has no set meaning other than what it means
>> to the people involved in teaching that task.
>>
>> Joel Aufrecht (he/him, they/them)
>>
>> Program Manager (Technology)
>> Wikimedia Foundation <https://wikimediafoundation.org/>
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 1:23 PM Martin Urbanec <
>> [hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> what is the exact difference between #goal and #epic on Phabricator?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Martin / Urbanecm

Re: Difference between #goal and #epic

Andre Klapper-2
On Wed, 2019-07-17 at 14:30 -0400, Kosta Harlan wrote:
> There’s some info here too
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Project_management

...and there is also
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Team_Practices_Group/Glossary
with lots of interesting words that some folks might enjoy.

andre
--
Andre Klapper | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Difference between #goal and #epic

Željko Filipin
Also, each tag has a page with it's description.

Epic: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/942/
Goal: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/2169/

Željko

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 9:10 PM Andre Klapper <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-07-17 at 14:30 -0400, Kosta Harlan wrote:
> > There’s some info here too
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Project_management
>
> ...and there is also
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Team_Practices_Group/Glossary
> with lots of interesting words that some folks might enjoy.
>
> andre
> --
> Andre Klapper | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
> https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Difference between #goal and #epic

Martin Urbanec
I know that, but didn't understand the difference from the pages. But
thanks.

Martin

Dne čt 18. čvc 2019 15:17 uživatel Željko Filipin <[hidden email]>
napsal:

> Also, each tag has a page with it's description.
>
> Epic: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/942/
> Goal: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/2169/
>
> Željko
>
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 9:10 PM Andre Klapper <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2019-07-17 at 14:30 -0400, Kosta Harlan wrote:
> > > There’s some info here too
> > > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Project_management
> >
> > ...and there is also
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Team_Practices_Group/Glossary
> > with lots of interesting words that some folks might enjoy.
> >
> > andre
> > --
> > Andre Klapper | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
> > https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Difference between #goal and #epic

Maarten Dammers
Hi Andre,

On 17-07-19 21:10, Andre Klapper wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-07-17 at 14:30 -0400, Kosta Harlan wrote:
>> There’s some info here too
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Project_management
> ...and there is also
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Team_Practices_Group/Glossary
> with lots of interesting words that some folks might enjoy.

So in Agile you (can) use stories/epics/initiatives/themes as described
at
https://www.atlassian.com/agile/project-management/epics-stories-themes
. Would you call a goal an initiative or more like a specific flavor of
an epic? Does Wikimedia use the "Theme" concept?

Maarten