Discovery Weekly Update for the week starting 2018-06-18

Discovery Weekly Update for the week starting 2018-06-18

Chris Koerner-2
Here's the update from the Search Platform team for the week of 2018-06-18.

As always, feedback and questions welcome.

== Discussions ==

=== Search ===
* We merged a basic analysis chain for Mirandese, [0] and we should be
reindexing the Mirandese Wikipedia in a week or so. See T197890. [1]
*Bosnian, Croatian, and Serbo-Croatian wikis have been reindexed and
are now using the new stemmer, which also supports cross-script
searching. See T196658. [2]
*Trey did an analysis [3] of an Esperanto stemmer that could be
converted for use with Elasticsearch. If you know some Esperanto, join
the discussion on the talk page, or on the Esperanto Wikipedia and
Wiktionary Village Pumps. [4] [5] See also T197240. [6]

== Did you know? ==
* Esperanto is a constructed language, created in the late 19th
century. It is one of the most widely spoken constructed
languages—with millions of speakers—and probably the only one with
native speakers, who number in the thousands. [7]

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Mirandese_language
[3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:TJones_(WMF)/Notes/Esperanto_Stemmer_Analysis
[4] https://eo.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikipedio:Diskutejo/Diversejo#Need_help_reviewing_Esperanto_stemming
[5] https://eo.wiktionary.org/wiki/Vikivortaro:Diskutejo#Need_help_reviewing_Esperanto_stemming
[7] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Esperanto

---

Subscribe to receive on-wiki (or opt-in email) notifications of the
Discovery weekly update.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Newsletter:Discovery_Weekly

The archive of all past updates can be found on MediaWiki.org:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Discovery/Status_updates

Interested in getting involved? See tasks marked as "Easy" or
"Volunteer needed" in Phabricator.

[1] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/qW51XhCCd8.7/#R
[2] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/5KEPuEJh9TPS/#R

Yours,