Discussion about proposal for multilingual Wiktionary

Discussion about proposal for multilingual Wiktionary

Milos Rancic-2
I am cleaning Requests for new languages [1] at Meta. Some of the
requests are clearly out of the Language committee scope, and they
need wider discussion for concluding them.

One of such requests is for multilingual Wiktionary [2]. Please,
discuss here (at foundation-l; I am sending this message to
wiktionary-l to poke those who are not at foundation-l) or on wiki at
the page [2].

[1] - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages
[2] - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/Wiktionary_multilingual

Re: Discussion about proposal for multilingual Wiktionary

Milos Rancic-2
On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Milos Rancic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am cleaning Requests for new languages [1] at Meta. Some of the
> requests are clearly out of the Language committee scope, and they
> need wider discussion for concluding them.
>
> One of such requests is for multilingual Wiktionary [2]. Please,
> discuss here (at foundation-l; I am sending this message to
> wiktionary-l to poke those who are not at foundation-l) or on wiki at
> the page [2].
>
> [1] - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages
> [2] - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/Wiktionary_multilingual

The request has been rejected as invalid. The explanation for
rejection is below:

According to the Language proposal policy, Language committee may
approve just a project which intends to be written in one language.
Thus, this proposal is invalid. If you want to create multilingual
Wiktionary, please create a page Multilingual Wiktionary and start
discussion about the idea at wiktionary-l. Note, also, that there is a
free content project OmegaWiki, which is in fact multilingual
Wiktionary. --Millosh  06:18, 3 March 2010 (UTC)