Disinformation meet-up - Sunday, August 18, 13:10-13:55

Disinformation meet-up - Sunday, August 18, 13:10-13:55

Leila Zia
Hi all,

Over the past days, we have been hearing or have been part of small
group conversations about the topic of disinformation. If you're
interested to get a sense of these discussions or share your thoughts
with others about this topic, we (Research+Policy teams at Wikimedia
Foundation) invite you to attend a 45-min meet-up about this topic on
Sunday, 13:10-13:55, in Curie, Aula Magna. The meet-up page is at
https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Meetups/Disinformation .

This is a very short meet-up and we will start on-time as a result.
Please plan for it if you intend to attend. :)

Leila

Re: Disinformation meet-up - Sunday, August 18, 13:10-13:55

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
fascinating, I'll be there for sure!

dj

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 9:07 AM Leila Zia <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Over the past days, we have been hearing or have been part of small
group conversations about the topic of disinformation. If you're
interested to get a sense of these discussions or share your thoughts
with others about this topic, we (Research+Policy teams at Wikimedia
Foundation) invite you to attend a 45-min meet-up about this topic on
Sunday, 13:10-13:55, in Curie, Aula Magna. The meet-up page is at
https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Meetups/Disinformation .

This is a very short meet-up and we will start on-time as a result.
Please plan for it if you intend to attend. :)

Leila

prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak
kierownik katedry MINDS (Management in Networked and Digital Societies)

Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
http://NeRDS.kozminski.edu.pl

Ostatnie artykuły:

Re: Disinformation meet-up - Sunday, August 18, 13:10-13:55

Gerald A
Hi Leila,

I'm _not_ at Wikimania this year, but am interested in the topic of disinformation research. So, while I'll be unable to attend the meetup on Sunday, I would be interested in contributing or helping with either research or discussions that might evolve out of the meeting.

Thanks,
Gerald

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 9:07 AM Leila Zia <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Over the past days, we have been hearing or have been part of small
group conversations about the topic of disinformation. If you're
interested to get a sense of these discussions or share your thoughts
with others about this topic, we (Research+Policy teams at Wikimedia
Foundation) invite you to attend a 45-min meet-up about this topic on
Sunday, 13:10-13:55, in Curie, Aula Magna. The meet-up page is at
https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Meetups/Disinformation .

This is a very short meet-up and we will start on-time as a result.
Please plan for it if you intend to attend. :)

Leila

Re: Disinformation meet-up - Sunday, August 18, 13:10-13:55

metasj
Wish I could have been there for this -- please let me know if there was a followup space for future discussion.
Wikiconf North America this November will be focused on credibility, so I'm both personally and eventually interested!  SJ

Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: Disinformation meet-up - Sunday, August 18, 13:10-13:55

Leila Zia
Hi SJ and all.

Thanks to all of you who attended the event and the words of support here and off-list even when you couldn't make it.

Next steps:

* I'll write a summary of topics discussed in the meeting and will share.

* We want to create a space around this topic to be able to continue the conversations virtually (as well as in person). There was a suggestion about using space.wmflabs.org for it. My todo is to look into it and let you all know if space is the place and if not where it is.

Stay tuned.

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019, 11:20 Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Pine W
I think that this is a good topic for discussion, and I think that Meta would be a good place for further online discussion.

I think that Discourse has promise, but I'm not a fan of Wikimedia Space and I don't participate there, nor am I likely to do so in the future.

Re: Disinformation meet-up - Sunday, August 18, 13:10-13:55

Leila Zia
Hi all,

Here is the update:

* Notes from our meet-up are now added in the bottom of
https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Meetups/Disinformation . In
part 3, I had to do some paraphrasing and retrieving information from
memory and I may have misrepresented a point you raised. If that is
the case, please feel free to update it. If you don't want to directly
edit the page, let me know and I'll update it for you.

* I spent some time in the past two days to understand how
space.wmflabs.org works (newbie here;) and I agree with the suggestion
from our meet-up to use that space for continuing the conversation
between folks who attended the meetup in Wikimania (and those who
didn't but are interested to join). The future conversations can take
place in: https://discuss-space.wmflabs.org/c/research/disinformation
. Feel free to "watch" the subcategory to receive notifications about
new topics and conversations.

Leila

p.s. Pine, As you know, I am familiar with meta and its
functionalities and I see that for this specific conversation space
gives us functionalities and guidelines that can be helpful. While I'm
open to changes in the future, I'm happy for us to give it a try in
this new environment.

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 4:48 PM Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think that this is a good topic for discussion, and I think that Meta would be a good place for further online discussion.
>
> I think that Discourse has promise, but I'm not a fan of Wikimedia Space and I don't participate there, nor am I likely to do so in the future.
>
> Pine

Re: Disinformation meet-up - Sunday, August 18, 13:10-13:55

Deryck Chan
Whoa, those minutes are amazing. Thank you Leila.