Dissertation: In Good Faith

Joseph Reagle

Hello everyone, I thought some folks might be interested in:

[[http://reagle.org/joseph/blog/culture/wikipedia/annc-in-good-faith
Wikipedia, "the free encyclopedia anyone can edit," has caught the attention
of the world. Discourse about the efficacy and legitimacy of this
collaborative work abound, from the news pages of "The New York Times" to
the satire of "The Onion." So how might we understand Wikipedia
collaboration? In part 1 I argue that Wikipedia is an heir to a twentieth
century vision of universal access and goodwill; an idea advocated by H. G.
Wells and Paul Otlet almost a century ago. This vision is inspired by
technological innovation -- microfilm and index cards then, digital
networks today -- and driven by the encyclopedic compulsion to capture and
index everything known. In addition, I place Wikipedia within the history
of reference works, focusing on their (often fervent) creators, and the
cooperation, competition, and plagiarism encountered in their production.
In part 2, I conceptualize Wikipedia as a technologically mediated "open"
community; through ethnography I identify the norms, practices and meanings
of Wikipedia culture including "Neutral Point of View," good faith, and
authorial leadership. In particular, I use the metaphor of a jigsaw puzzle
to explain the operation of Wikipedia's collaborative culture: "Neutral
Point of View" ensures that the scattered pieces of what we think we know
can be joined and good faith facilitates the actual practice of fitting
them together. Finally, in part 3 I focus on the cultural reception and
interpretation of Wikipedia. I argue that in the history of reference works
Wikipedia is not alone in serving as a flashpoint for larger social
anxieties about technological and social change. I try to make sense of the
social unease embodied in and prompted by Wikipedia by way of four themes
present throughout the dissertation: collaborative practice, universal
vision, encyclopedic impulse, and technological inspiration. I show that
the discourse around Wikipedia reveals concerns about how new forms of
technologically mediated content production are changing the role and
autonomy of the individual, the authority of existing institutions, and the
character (and quality) of cultural products.
]]

Re: Dissertation: In Good Faith

Cormac Lawler

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello everyone, I thought some folks might be interested in:

[[http://reagle.org/joseph/blog/culture/wikipedia/annc-in-good-faith

Hearty congratulations, Joseph! It looks good from a quick skim - I hope to give more substantive feedback over time. Also, how does one authenticate oneself in order to download the pdf version?

Cormac

Re: Dissertation: In Good Faith

audevivere
Congratulations!  Very interesting to read over the first chapter.  If possible, it would be helpful to look over the pdf.

-Aude

[[<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://reagle.org/joseph/blog/culture/wikipedia/annc-in-good-faith" target="_blank">http://reagle.org/joseph/blog/culture/wikipedia/annc-in-good-faith

--
Aude

Re: Dissertation: In Good Faith

Piotr Konieczny-2
Aude wrote:
> Congratulations!  Very interesting to read over the first chapter.  If
> possible, it would be helpful to look over the pdf.

Indeed. May I suggest adding the direct link to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:ACST#Thesis ?

--
Piotr Konieczny

"The problem about Wikipedia is, that it just works in reality, not in
theory."

Re: Dissertation: In Good Faith

Han-Teng Liao (OII)
Congrats.  I hope I can finish mine on Chinese Wikipedia within two
years.  May I ask is your ethnographic research mainly about English
version of Wikipedia?

Joseph Reagle wrote:
> Hello everyone, I thought some folks might be interested in:
>
> [[http://reagle.org/joseph/blog/culture/wikipedia/annc-in-good-faith

*Liao <http://zhongwen.com/cgi-bin/zipux2.cgi?b5=%E5%BB%96>,Han
<http://zhongwen.com/cgi-bin/zipux2.cgi?b5=%E6%BC%A2>-Teng
<http://zhongwen.com/cgi-bin/zipux2.cgi?b5=%E9%A8%B0>*
DPhil student at the OII <http://people.oii.ox.ac.uk/hanteng/about/>(web)
needs you <http://people.oii.ox.ac.uk/hanteng/>(blog)

Re: Dissertation: In Good Faith

Phoebe Ayers-2
Many congratulations! We will have to throw you a party at some point.
(Wikimania?)

-- phoebe

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 5:16 AM, Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hello everyone, I thought some folks might be interested in:
>
>  [[http://reagle.org/joseph/blog/culture/wikipedia/annc-in-good-faith
>  Wikipedia, "the free encyclopedia anyone can edit," has caught the attention
>  of the world. Discourse about the efficacy and legitimacy of this
>  collaborative work abound, from the news pages of "The New York Times" to
>  the satire of "The Onion." So how might we understand Wikipedia
>  collaboration? In part 1 I argue that Wikipedia is an heir to a twentieth
>  century vision of universal access and goodwill; an idea advocated by H. G.
>  Wells and Paul Otlet almost a century ago. This vision is inspired by
>  technological innovation -- microfilm and index cards then, digital
>  networks today -- and driven by the encyclopedic compulsion to capture and
>  index everything known. In addition, I place Wikipedia within the history
>  of reference works, focusing on their (often fervent) creators, and the
>  cooperation, competition, and plagiarism encountered in their production.
>  In part 2, I conceptualize Wikipedia as a technologically mediated "open"
>  community; through ethnography I identify the norms, practices and meanings
>  of Wikipedia culture including "Neutral Point of View," good faith, and
>  authorial leadership. In particular, I use the metaphor of a jigsaw puzzle
>  to explain the operation of Wikipedia's collaborative culture: "Neutral
>  Point of View" ensures that the scattered pieces of what we think we know
>  can be joined and good faith facilitates the actual practice of fitting
>  them together. Finally, in part 3 I focus on the cultural reception and
>  interpretation of Wikipedia. I argue that in the history of reference works
>  Wikipedia is not alone in serving as a flashpoint for larger social
>  anxieties about technological and social change. I try to make sense of the
>  social unease embodied in and prompted by Wikipedia by way of four themes
>  present throughout the dissertation: collaborative practice, universal
>  vision, encyclopedic impulse, and technological inspiration. I show that
>  the discourse around Wikipedia reveals concerns about how new forms of
>  technologically mediated content production are changing the role and
>  autonomy of the individual, the authority of existing institutions, and the
>  character (and quality) of cultural products.
>  ]]

Re: Dissertation: In Good Faith

Felipe Ortega
Congratulations, Joseph. Very good work, you finally succeded in providing a major contribution to this interesting research area.

Regards,

Felipe.

Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]> escribió:

[...]

¿Con Mascota por primera vez? - Sé un mejor Amigo
Entra en Yahoo! Respuestas.