Do WMF want enwp.org?

Thomas Wang-2

Hi!

If WMF want enwp.org I will gladly hand it over.

-Thomas

Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?

Aude-2
On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Thomas Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> If WMF want enwp.org I will gladly hand it over.

Thank you for running this service!  I use it all the time for including
wikipedia links in Twitter.

It would be nice if it was officially supported by WMF or you were given
resources necessary to maintain the service.

Cheers,
Katie (@aude)

> -Thomas

Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?

David Gerard-2
On 16 February 2011 20:58, aude <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for running this service!  I use it all the time for including
> wikipedia links in Twitter.

+1

> It would be nice if it was officially supported by WMF or you were given
> resources necessary to maintain the service.

+1

Anyone in tech at WMF got an opinion?

- d.

Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?

Antoine Musso-3
On 16/02/11 21:37, Thomas Wang wrote:

> If WMF want enwp.org I will gladly hand it over.

Can we please stop multiplying the number of domains?  Although the
registration is cheap, the administration overhead is not that cheap.

I also find it dilutes the power of the Wikipedia brand.

The '140 characters only' blogging platforms could probably implements
their own short syntax to support popular sites.

--
Ashar Voultoiz

Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?

Domas Mituzas
> The '140 characters only' blogging platforms could probably implements
> their own short syntax to support popular sites.

140 character blogging platforms could allow more characters.
at wikipedia we support larger pages than 140 bytes, for example.

Domas

Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?

Lodewijk
if you add a link to Wikipedia, you get 60 bonus characters!

2011/2/18 Domas Mituzas <[hidden email]>

> > The '140 characters only' blogging platforms could probably implements
> > their own short syntax to support popular sites.
>
> 140 character blogging platforms could allow more characters.
> at wikipedia we support larger pages than 140 bytes, for example.
>
> Domas

Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?

Alison M. Wheeler

----- "Ashar Voultoiz" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The '140 characters only' blogging platforms could probably implements
> their own short syntax to support popular sites.

Obviously, yes, however that misses the main point of short links from the pov of the owner of the shortening service. If you control the link then you get the numbers of users, etc. and can make decisions based on that ("What's Hot", for example) which you cannot do if you do not control that link.

Also, if a bit.ly go.to or myqurl.com link heads to a wiki{p|m}edia page there is no evidence of that to the reader before they click on the link, losing mindshare and any benefits of keeping our name in front of people. By offering our own service (and, frankly, the shorter the better; none of this 'en.' or 'de.' stuff making it large again) we keep control of both the information of what people are interested in and make it clear that the link is trustworthy and to one of our projects. We would win in every direction.

Alison