Does Mathoid require RESTBase?

James Montalvo
Extension:Math removed client side MathJax support after MW 1.25. This
makes setup of the Math extension considerably more difficult. Mathoid was
fairly straightforward, but RESTBase seems like it is much more
complicated. Is RESTBase a hard requirement? Is there any way to connect to
Mathoid directly, the way VE can connect to Parsoid directly?

Thank you,
James

Re: Does Mathoid require RESTBase?

Moritz Schubotz-2
Hi James,

unfortunately it's currently a hard requirement. While it improved the
performance significantly for large content providers like Wikipedia
it made setting up mathoid on small privately hosted instances more
difficult. Setting up a simpler way to enable math on private wikis is
on my todo list.
However, this guide is the best pointer I can give at the moment:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Math/Restbase

Please let me know if you encouter difficulties following the
instructions provided at this page.

Best

physikerwelt

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 6:48 PM, James Montalvo
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Extension:Math removed client side MathJax support after MW 1.25. This
> makes setup of the Math extension considerably more difficult. Mathoid was
> fairly straightforward, but RESTBase seems like it is much more
> complicated. Is RESTBase a hard requirement? Is there any way to connect to
> Mathoid directly, the way VE can connect to Parsoid directly?
>
> Thank you,
> James

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Moritz Schubotz

  Telefon (Büro):  +49 30 314 22784
  Telefon (Privat):+49 30 488 27330
  E-Mail: [hidden email]
  Web: http://www.physikerwelt.de
  Skype: Schubi87
  ICQ: 200302764
  Msn: [hidden email]

Re: Does Mathoid require RESTBase?

James Montalvo
For now I've decided to fork Extension:SimpleMathJax and fix some issues I
had with it, but ultimately I'd prefer to use Extension:Math with Mathoid
since that seems to be the direction Wikipedia is going. But while moving
in the same direction as WMF wikis is good for stability, bug fixes,
feature additions, etc, I'm concerned about the complexity and lack of
documentation for setting this up. Furthermore, I'm concerned how
introducing RESTBase would negatively impact the rest of my setup,
particularly Parsoid. I also don't understand (and this is probably just my
ignorance) why RESTBase is required as an intermediary. Shouldn't it be
possible to configure Extension:Math to talk directly to Mathoid like
VisualEditor can talk directly to Parsoid?

Is RESTBase likely to give me any performance improvement, or is the
overhead likely to hurt my performance? Approximately 5-10k hits per day
with a pretty high edit:view ratio.

Thanks,
James