Domain names

John Knouse
I apologize for this off-topic post, but I think everyone involved in the
Internet has a right to know this:

Athens' Own, a business that has had a domain registered with Register.com
for the past few years, attempted to transfer it to Dotster.  Register
refused to allow the transfer, despite repeated (and correctly-done)
attempts, then auctioned the name athensown.com off to another bidder.
Register.com is a bunch of crooks, and I urge everyone not to do business
with them.

John Knouse

Re: Domain names

Ben Emmel
On 1/27/06, John Knouse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I apologize for this off-topic post, but I think everyone involved in the
> Internet has a right to know this:
>
> Athens' Own, a business that has had a domain registered with Register.com
> for the past few years, attempted to transfer it to Dotster.  Register
> refused to allow the transfer, despite repeated (and correctly-done)
> attempts, then auctioned the name athensown.com off to another bidder.
> Register.com is a bunch of crooks, and I urge everyone not to do business
> with them.
>
> John Knouse

Why are you posting this here, and was this moderated?

--
Ben Emmel
Wikipedia - User:Bratsche

Re: Domain names

John Lee-5
Ben Emmel wrote:

>On 1/27/06, John Knouse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>I apologize for this off-topic post, but I think everyone involved in the
>>Internet has a right to know this:
>>
>>Athens' Own, a business that has had a domain registered with Register.com
>>for the past few years, attempted to transfer it to Dotster.  Register
>>refused to allow the transfer, despite repeated (and correctly-done)
>>attempts, then auctioned the name athensown.com off to another bidder.
>>Register.com is a bunch of crooks, and I urge everyone not to do business
>>with them.
>>
>>John Knouse
>>[hidden email]
>>

>Why are you posting this here, and was this moderated?

Presumably John thought that if Wikipedia's domain names are registered
with them, this would be useful. On the other hand, he might be trying
to bad-mouth register.com on the mailing list.

John Lee
([[User:Johnleemk]])

Re: Domain names

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
John Lee wrote:

> Ben Emmel wrote:
>
>> On 1/27/06, John Knouse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> I apologize for this off-topic post, but I think everyone involved in
>>> the
>>> Internet has a right to know this:
>>>
>>> Athens' Own, a business that has had a domain registered with
>>> Register.com
>>> for the past few years, attempted to transfer it to Dotster.  Register
>>> refused to allow the transfer, despite repeated (and correctly-done)
>>> attempts, then auctioned the name athensown.com off to another bidder.
>>> Register.com is a bunch of crooks, and I urge everyone not to do
>>> business
>>> with them.
>>>

>> Why are you posting this here, and was this moderated?
>>

> Presumably John thought that if Wikipedia's domain names are registered
> with them, this would be useful. On the other hand, he might be trying
> to bad-mouth register.com on the mailing list.

I don't have a problem with bad-mouthing The Register (they keep doing
the same to us, don't they?), but we're talking about completely
different people here... :)