Domain parking

Andrew Archer
Hi

"enwikipedia.org" is really starting to annoy me now. There are hundreds
more like that stealing Wikimedia traffic. Is the Wikimedia Foundation
planning to do anything about domain parking infringing on their trademarks,
or would it cost too much?

Andrew Archer

Re: Domain parking

draicone@gmail.com
vvikipedia, anyone? (that's a v v, not a w)

I'm not really sure the foundation can do anything. I'm experienced
with domain issues, and these are three of the most commonly followed

* Contact the owner of the domain (WHOIS record must be accurate per
ICANN policy) and request transfer for a nominal sum
* Contact the owner of the domain and demand transfer of the domain,
possibly paying for minimal expenses
* Contact the owner of the domain and demand transfer, threatening
legal action and (preferably) citing some international law
* Be evil and apply for an ICANN transfer, hoping that the owner has
supplied false info to ICANN and therefore will not be notified about
the transfer request, and once the period of a few weeks has passed
the domain will be transferred to Wikimedia

You could also come up with a petition, having all Wikipedia users
sign it, and present it to domain owners. Anyone else have any ideas?

-- Akash/Draicone

On 9/12/06, Andrew Archer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> "enwikipedia.org" is really starting to annoy me now. There are hundreds
> more like that stealing Wikimedia traffic. Is the Wikimedia Foundation
> planning to do anything about domain parking infringing on their trademarks,
> or would it cost too much?
>
> Andrew Archer

Re: Domain parking

Andrew Archer
I think the petition is the only way, I've heard it can get nasty. But
stealing traffic from a free resource like ours is just not right.

Andrew Archer

On 12/09/06, Akash Mehta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> vvikipedia, anyone? (that's a v v, not a w)
>
> I'm not really sure the foundation can do anything. I'm experienced
> with domain issues, and these are three of the most commonly followed
>
> * Contact the owner of the domain (WHOIS record must be accurate per
> ICANN policy) and request transfer for a nominal sum
> * Contact the owner of the domain and demand transfer of the domain,
> possibly paying for minimal expenses
> * Contact the owner of the domain and demand transfer, threatening
> legal action and (preferably) citing some international law
> * Be evil and apply for an ICANN transfer, hoping that the owner has
> supplied false info to ICANN and therefore will not be notified about
> the transfer request, and once the period of a few weeks has passed
> the domain will be transferred to Wikimedia
>
> You could also come up with a petition, having all Wikipedia users
> sign it, and present it to domain owners. Anyone else have any ideas?
>
> -- Akash/Draicone
>
> On 9/12/06, Andrew Archer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > "enwikipedia.org" is really starting to annoy me now. There are hundreds
> > more like that stealing Wikimedia traffic. Is the Wikimedia Foundation
> > planning to do anything about domain parking infringing on their
> trademarks,
> > or would it cost too much?
> >
> > Andrew Archer

Re: Domain parking

Michael Billington

> You could also come up with a petition, having all Wikipedia users
> sign it, and present it to domain owners. Anyone else have any ideas?

Having all wikipedia users would be near-impossible, but I think it would be
possible to drum up a thousand or so.

Just about every time I've typed "wikipedia" wrong, i get a parked
domain.... so it is an annoying problem, but is it worth the trouble?

Re: Domain parking

draicone@gmail.com
A thousand? I can guarantee a whole lot more than 1000. How about I
build a prototype site to handle the petition where people can
register their Wikipedia username as someone supporting the petition?
It wouldn't be too hard, and if we can find hosting with reasonable
database space, we can build it, post about it on village pump /
community portal / whatever else. I bet we can get 10000 in a matter
of weeks.

On 9/12/06, Michael Billington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > You could also come up with a petition, having all Wikipedia users
> > sign it, and present it to domain owners. Anyone else have any ideas?
> >
> Having all wikipedia users would be near-impossible, but I think it would be
> possible to drum up a thousand or so.
>
> Just about every time I've typed "wikipedia" wrong, i get a parked
> domain.... so it is an annoying problem, but is it worth the trouble?

Re: Domain parking

draicone@gmail.com
Oh, and a google i'm feeling lucky for 'wikpedia' returns [[Bruno
Bettelheim]] :)

On 9/12/06, Akash Mehta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A thousand? I can guarantee a whole lot more than 1000. How about I
> build a prototype site to handle the petition where people can
> register their Wikipedia username as someone supporting the petition?
> It wouldn't be too hard, and if we can find hosting with reasonable
> database space, we can build it, post about it on village pump /
> community portal / whatever else. I bet we can get 10000 in a matter
> of weeks.
>
> On 9/12/06, Michael Billington <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > You could also come up with a petition, having all Wikipedia users
> > > sign it, and present it to domain owners. Anyone else have any ideas?
> > >
> > Having all wikipedia users would be near-impossible, but I think it would be
> > possible to drum up a thousand or so.
> >
> > Just about every time I've typed "wikipedia" wrong, i get a parked
> > domain.... so it is an annoying problem, but is it worth the trouble?

Re: Domain parking

Liviu Andronic
On 9/12/06, Akash Mehta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh, and a google i'm feeling lucky for 'wikpedia' returns [[Bruno
> Bettelheim]] :)

Here, I'm feeling lucky opens as expected
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page.

On 9/12/06, Akash Mehta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > A thousand? I can guarantee a whole lot more than 1000. How about I
> > build a prototype site to handle the petition where people can
> > register their Wikipedia username as someone supporting the petition?
> > It wouldn't be too hard, and if we can find hosting with reasonable
> > database space, we can build it, post about it on village pump /
> > community portal / whatever else. I bet we can get 10000 in a matter
> > of weeks.

> ideas?
> > > >
> > > Having all wikipedia users would be near-impossible, but I think it
> would be
> > > possible to drum up a thousand or so.
> > >
> > > Just about every time I've typed "wikipedia" wrong, i get a parked
> > > domain.... so it is an annoying problem, but is it worth the trouble?

Liviu

Re: Domain parking

Brad Patrick
I very much appreciate the discussion about problem domains.

It would benefit WMF greatly if we had the following:

-List of problem domains (is there a page?)
-Petition engine to capture usernames against use of said domains

That will give us what we need to pursue action as laid out by Akash with a
minimum of WMF resources having to dedicate time to it.

Thanks.

-Brad

On 9/12/06, Liviu Andronic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/12/06, Akash Mehta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Oh, and a google i'm feeling lucky for 'wikpedia' returns [[Bruno
> > Bettelheim]] :)
>
> Here, I'm feeling lucky opens as expected
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page.
>

> On 9/12/06, Akash Mehta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > A thousand? I can guarantee a whole lot more than 1000. How about I
> > > build a prototype site to handle the petition where people can
> > > register their Wikipedia username as someone supporting the petition?
> > > It wouldn't be too hard, and if we can find hosting with reasonable
> > > database space, we can build it, post about it on village pump /
> > > community portal / whatever else. I bet we can get 10000 in a matter
> > > of weeks.

> > ideas?

> > would be

> trouble?

> Liviu

Brad Patrick
General Counsel & Interim Executive Director
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
[hidden email]
727-231-0101

Re: Domain parking

Andrew Archer
I have the hosting capacities for a petition, and MySQL databases, but I'd
probably need a little help setting up the system. However, I though
Wikimedia servers could easily handle that.

Andrew Archer

On 12/09/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I very much appreciate the discussion about problem domains.
>
> It would benefit WMF greatly if we had the following:
>
> -List of problem domains (is there a page?)
> -Petition engine to capture usernames against use of said domains
>
> That will give us what we need to pursue action as laid out by Akash with
> minimum of WMF resources having to dedicate time to it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Brad
>
> On 9/12/06, Liviu Andronic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 9/12/06, Akash Mehta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Oh, and a google i'm feeling lucky for 'wikpedia' returns [[Bruno
> > > Bettelheim]] :)
> >
> > Here, I'm feeling lucky opens as expected
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page.

> petition?

> users
> > > ideas?

> it
> > > would be

> > trouble?

> > Liviu

> Brad Patrick
> General Counsel & Interim Executive Director
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
> [hidden email]
> 727-231-0101

Re: Domain parking

Andrew Archer
The only real way to find the problem domains would be to go out and search
for them manually I think. Maybe just a wiki list which people can add to?

Andrew Archer

On 12/09/06, Andrew Archer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have the hosting capacities for a petition, and MySQL databases, but I'd
> probably need a little help setting up the system. However, I though
> Wikimedia servers could easily handle that.
>
> Andrew Archer
>

> On 12/09/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I very much appreciate the discussion about problem domains.
> >
> > It would benefit WMF greatly if we had the following:
> >
> > -List of problem domains (is there a page?)
> > -Petition engine to capture usernames against use of said domains
> >
> > That will give us what we need to pursue action as laid out by Akash
> > with a
> > minimum of WMF resources having to dedicate time to it.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > -Brad

> > > Here, I'm feeling lucky opens as expected
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page.

> > petition?
> > reasonable
> > matter

> > users

> > it

> > parked
> > > trouble?
> > > >

> > > --
> > > Liviu

> > Brad Patrick
> > General Counsel & Interim Executive Director
> > Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
> > [hidden email]
> > 727-231-0101

Re: Domain parking

David Gerard-2
On 12/09/06, Andrew Archer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The only real way to find the problem domains would be to go out and search
> for them manually I think. Maybe just a wiki list which people can add to?

Sounds reasonable. Is it possible to search domain space, regexp or iteratively?

Whatever happens - people shouldn't act on dodgy domains without
Brad's say so. Vigilanteing would be a bad idea.

- d.

Re: Domain parking

Lorenzarius
Hi all, there's a small list here
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Domain_names#Typosquatted

Such a list definitely deserves its own page though.

> On 12/09/06, Andrew Archer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The only real way to find the problem domains would be to go out and search
> > for them manually I think. Maybe just a wiki list which people can add to?
>

> Sounds reasonable. Is it possible to search domain space, regexp or iteratively?
>
> Whatever happens - people shouldn't act on dodgy domains without
> Brad's say so. Vigilanteing would be a bad idea.

--
Larry Lo
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Lorenzarius

Re: Domain parking

Andrew Archer
How about starting a list on Meta, then putting a call out on "Goings-on"?

Andrew Archer

On 12/09/06, Lorenzarius <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all, there's a small list here
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Domain_names#Typosquatted
>
> Such a list definitely deserves its own page though.
>
> On 9/13/06, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 12/09/06, Andrew Archer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > The only real way to find the problem domains would be to go out and
> search
> > > for them manually I think. Maybe just a wiki list which people can add
> to?
> >

> > Sounds reasonable. Is it possible to search domain space, regexp or
> iteratively?
> >
> > Whatever happens - people shouldn't act on dodgy domains without
> > Brad's say so. Vigilanteing would be a bad idea.
>
> --
> Larry Lo
> http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Lorenzarius
> Tel: +852 95825791

Re: Domain parking

Lorenzarius
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Squatted_Wikimedia_domains

I just copied the list from [[m:Domain names]], could tidy up the format more.

On 9/13/06, Andrew Archer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How about starting a list on Meta, then putting a call out on "Goings-on"?
>
> Andrew Archer
>
> On 12/09/06, Lorenzarius <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all, there's a small list here
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Domain_names#Typosquatted
> >
> > Such a list definitely deserves its own page though.

> > search
> > to?
> > >

> > > Sounds reasonable. Is it possible to search domain space, regexp or
> > iteratively?
> > >
> > > Whatever happens - people shouldn't act on dodgy domains without
> > > Brad's say so. Vigilanteing would be a bad idea.
> >
> > --
> > Larry Lo
> > http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Lorenzarius
> > Tel: +852 95825791

Larry Lo
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Lorenzarius
Tel: +852 95825791

Re: Domain parking

Andrew Archer
Looking good! Now what would we do about domain holders who have got a
private registration rather than published their details on the WHOIS?

Andrew Archer

On 12/09/06, Lorenzarius <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Squatted_Wikimedia_domains
>
> I just copied the list from [[m:Domain names]], could tidy up the format
> more.
>
> On 9/13/06, Andrew Archer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > How about starting a list on Meta, then putting a call out on
> "Goings-on"?
> >
> > Andrew Archer
> >
> > On 12/09/06, Lorenzarius <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all, there's a small list here
> > > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Domain_names#Typosquatted
> > >
> > > Such a list definitely deserves its own page though.

> and
> > > search
> add
> > > to?

> > > iteratively?

> > > --
> > > Larry Lo
> > > http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Lorenzarius
> > > Tel: +852 95825791

> Larry Lo
> http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Lorenzarius
> Tel: +852 95825791

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Domain parking

Ray Saintonge
At what point do we become subject to the law of diminishing returns?
The possible variations on our different wikinames, national domains and
undotted language codes could rapidly get completely out of hand.

If a person cybersquats one of these names with malicious intent it's
hard to imagine that he will be impressed by a petition with 1,000
signatures.  Even when we manage to wrest one of these names away there
comes a point where the cumulative burden of keeping all these names
protected is just not cost effective.

Ec

Brad Patrick wrote:

>I very much appreciate the discussion about problem domains.
>
>It would benefit WMF greatly if we had the following:
>
>-List of problem domains (is there a page?)
>-Petition engine to capture usernames against use of said domains
>
>That will give us what we need to pursue action as laid out by Akash with a
>minimum of WMF resources having to dedicate time to it.
>
>Thanks.
>
>-Brad

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Domain parking

Platonides
"Ray Saintonge" wrote:

> At what point do we become subject to the law of diminishing returns?
> The possible variations on our different wikinames, national domains and
> undotted language codes could rapidly get completely out of hand.
>
> If a person cybersquats one of these names with malicious intent it's
> hard to imagine that he will be impressed by a petition with 1,000
> signatures.  Even when we manage to wrest one of these names away there
> comes a point where the cumulative burden of keeping all these names
> protected is just not cost effective.
>
> Ec

Even worse, i'd warn you that this can attract more people to cybersquatting
our domains, as we will be publicising this subject.

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Domain parking

David Mestel
I don't entirely understand the difficulty - surely the WMF has some
kind of trademark over the Wikipedia name, which would allow them to
forbid others to use it?  I'm no lawyer, but I don't see why we would
need to bother with a petition.

David

On 12/09/06, Platonides <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Ray Saintonge" wrote:
> > At what point do we become subject to the law of diminishing returns?
> > The possible variations on our different wikinames, national domains and
> > undotted language codes could rapidly get completely out of hand.
> >
> > If a person cybersquats one of these names with malicious intent it's
> > hard to imagine that he will be impressed by a petition with 1,000
> > signatures.  Even when we manage to wrest one of these names away there
> > comes a point where the cumulative burden of keeping all these names
> > protected is just not cost effective.
> >
> > Ec
>
> Even worse, i'd warn you that this can attract more people to cybersquatting
> our domains, as we will be publicising this subject.

David

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Domain parking

Andrew Archer
Domain name complaints are really nasty and costly, especially if they fight
it.

Petitions are free.

Andrew Archer

On 12/09/06, David Mestel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't entirely understand the difficulty - surely the WMF has some
> kind of trademark over the Wikipedia name, which would allow them to
> forbid others to use it?  I'm no lawyer, but I don't see why we would
> need to bother with a petition.
>
> David
>
> On 12/09/06, Platonides <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > "Ray Saintonge" wrote:
> > > At what point do we become subject to the law of diminishing returns?
> > > The possible variations on our different wikinames, national domains
> and
> > > undotted language codes could rapidly get completely out of hand.
> > >
> > > If a person cybersquats one of these names with malicious intent it's
> > > hard to imagine that he will be impressed by a petition with 1,000
> > > signatures.  Even when we manage to wrest one of these names away
> there
> > > comes a point where the cumulative burden of keeping all these names
> > > protected is just not cost effective.
> > >
> > > Ec
> >
> > Even worse, i'd warn you that this can attract more people to
> cybersquatting
> > our domains, as we will be publicising this subject.

> David

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Domain parking

David Mestel
Ah, good point.  But I would have thought that if the WMF does own the
trademark, the case is fairly clear-cut, so they wouldn't bother to
defend it - but that's probably just my legal naivety...

--
David

On 12/09/06, Andrew Archer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Domain name complaints are really nasty and costly, especially if they fight
> it.
>
> Petitions are free.
>
> Andrew Archer
>
> On 12/09/06, David Mestel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I don't entirely understand the difficulty - surely the WMF has some
> > kind of trademark over the Wikipedia name, which would allow them to
> > forbid others to use it?  I'm no lawyer, but I don't see why we would
> > need to bother with a petition.
> >
> > David

> > and

> > there

> > > Even worse, i'd warn you that this can attract more people to
> > cybersquatting
> > > our domains, as we will be publicising this subject.

> > David

David