Domains

Michael Bimmler
(cced to akl, as it somehow concerns him)
Hello,
as I just thought of it:
What about domains? Or a bit more precise: Do you think, Wikimedia CH
should, after its foundation, "overtake" the domain wikipedia.ch
(currently hold by Wikimedia Deutschland)? As we saw recently with the
Wikipedia.de/Tron-case (wikipedia.de is too hold by Wikimedia
Deutschland), we might sometimes reach a point, where the same
happened to us as happened to Wikimedia Deutschland (disabling of
redirect etc.). Now the question is, shall we then take this (not that
present imho) legal risk? Or shall we "leave" this to Wikimedia
Deutschland who has now a) experience and b) lawyers?
(in re wikimedia.ch there is imho no long discussion necessary...)
Regards
Michael
(sorry that this email is so much "scribbled down" as I'm quite in a
hurry. Next time I'll try to order my thoughts some more)
--
An eternity is very, very long, especially towards the end

Re: Domains

Jürg Wolf
What needs a german lawyer in a legal case in Switzerland? We even must be
prepared of 26 different law details across CH so a germal lawyer is absolutely
useless.... (badly)

If we have a legal case in CH we can only adopt strategies and argumentation in
advance but not in the specific law suit.

The risk carries on the holder of the domain. But what courts say to foreign
domain holders of .ch domains - I don't know. If it would fit and it is a
optimization of risk - the domain should be held by wikimedia foundation in the
US.

Jürg

> (cced to akl, as it somehow concerns him)
> Hello,
> as I just thought of it:
> What about domains? Or a bit more precise: Do you think, Wikimedia CH
> should, after its foundation, "overtake" the domain wikipedia.ch
> (currently hold by Wikimedia Deutschland)? As we saw recently with the
> Wikipedia.de/Tron-case (wikipedia.de is too hold by Wikimedia
> Deutschland), we might sometimes reach a point, where the same
> happened to us as happened to Wikimedia Deutschland (disabling of
> redirect etc.). Now the question is, shall we then take this (not that
> present imho) legal risk? Or shall we "leave" this to Wikimedia
> Deutschland who has now a) experience and b) lawyers?
> (in re wikimedia.ch there is imho no long discussion necessary...)
> Regards
> Michael
> (sorry that this email is so much "scribbled down" as I'm quite in a
> hurry. Next time I'll try to order my thoughts some more)
> --
> An eternity is very, very long, especially towards the end

Domains and Servers

Robin Schwab-2
Jürg Wolf schrieb:
> What needs a german lawyer in a legal case in Switzerland? We even must be
> prepared of 26 different law details across CH so a germal lawyer is absolutely
> useless.... (badly)

fack

> The risk carries on the holder of the domain. But what courts say to foreign
> domain holders of .ch domains - I don't know. If it would fit and it is a
> optimization of risk - the domain should be held by wikimedia foundation in the
> US.

Not only the risk, also the power is given to the possessor of the
domain. Therefore I'd rather support to be the owner of domains
concerning us.

Second thing is that our Federal Court is known to be rather Open Source
friendly. Remember the case of the picture of Christoph Meili where they
decided that a picture that was arranged for a quarter of an hour did
not fall under copyright. Remember we do not have software patents too.

What do you think about an own WP server in Switzerland? Looking at the
legal cases like the one in Germany it might be useful to distribute
knowledge as broadly as possible to minimize political, legal and
technical risks.

Best regards

Robin

Re: Domains and Servers

Michael Bimmler
2006/1/26, Robin Schwab <[hidden email]>:
> Jürg Wolf schrieb:
> > What needs a german lawyer in a legal case in Switzerland? We even must be
> > prepared of 26 different law details across CH so a germal lawyer is absolutely
> > useless.... (badly)
>
> fack
Yes, although ad 26 different laws: afaik the copyright law and the
Strafrecht (penal law?) are federal.

> > The risk carries on the holder of the domain. But what courts say to foreign
> > domain holders of .ch domains - I don't know. If it would fit and it is a
> > optimization of risk - the domain should be held by wikimedia foundation in the
> > US.
>
> Not only the risk, also the power is given to the possessor of the
> domain. Therefore I'd rather support to be the owner of domains
> concerning us.
Right.

> Second thing is that our Federal Court is known to be rather Open Source
> friendly. Remember the case of the picture of Christoph Meili where they
> decided that a picture that was arranged for a quarter of an hour did
> not fall under copyright. Remember we do not have software patents too.
>
> What do you think about an own WP server in Switzerland?
You mean, a "real wp"-server like in Amsterdam or in Seoul or rather a
tools-server like tools.wikimedia.de? If the former, we should
probably first contact the devs to ask whether that is a good idea.
> Looking at the
> legal cases like the one in Germany it might be useful to distribute
> knowledge as broadly as possible to minimize political, legal and
> technical risks.
Might be, yes.

> Best regards

Michael