Donate page on wikimediafoundation.org broken

Donate page on wikimediafoundation.org broken

David Gerard-2
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate is linked on the front
page. It redirects to
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Special:LandingCheck ... which
sits there doing nothing. (I'm not logged into the foundation wiki.)

- d.

Re: Donate page on wikimediafoundation.org broken

Chad
On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 4:43 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate is linked on the front
> page. It redirects to
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Special:LandingCheck ... which
> sits there doing nothing. (I'm not logged into the foundation wiki.)

Working for me. Is the LandingCheck thing geotargeted?

-Chad

Re: Donate page on wikimediafoundation.org broken

Samat-2
On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 22:44, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 4:43 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate is linked on the front
> > page. It redirects to
> > http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Special:LandingCheck ... which
> > sits there doing nothing. (I'm not logged into the foundation wiki.)
> >

> Working for me. Is the LandingCheck thing geotargeted?
>
> -Chad

Working for me. I am not logged into F.wiki.

Samat

Re: Donate page on wikimediafoundation.org broken

Bjoern Hoehrmann
* Chad wrote:
>Working for me. Is the LandingCheck thing geotargeted?

One way to find out would be using something that can proxy responses,

  http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Special:LandingCheck;ss=1

for instance shows me all sorts of stuff like "This page was last
modified on" which I don't get when loading the page in my browser,
I get a pretty much blank page. So yeah, there is discrimination.

Re: Donate page on wikimediafoundation.org broken

K. Peachey-2
On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 7:44 AM, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 4:43 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate is linked on the front
>> page. It redirects to
>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Special:LandingCheck ... which
>> sits there doing nothing. (I'm not logged into the foundation wiki.)
>>

> Working for me. Is the LandingCheck thing geotargeted?
>
> -Chad
AFAIK yes, to the correct chapter wiki.

Re: Donate page on wikimediafoundation.org broken

James Alexander-4
On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 4:43 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate is linked on the front
> > page. It redirects to
> > http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Special:LandingCheck ... which
> > sits there doing nothing. (I'm not logged into the foundation wiki.)
> >

> Working for me. Is the LandingCheck thing geotargeted?
>
> -Chad

Ugh, yes this is the issue. The default for LandingCheck right now went to
Donate and so for payment processing chapters it got an error when it
didn't find a page for that country (Donate/GB, Donate/FR etc for DE and CH
as well). I've created chapter redirect pages to allow it to work for now.

Thanks for the email, this was set up in anticipation of some changes on
the backend to allow the same link to work for our new WMF pages AND
chapter pages (right now the links only work with WMF pages from last year
and pages like Donate actually only went to the WMF) but the rest of the
changes aren't in place yet and I, falsely, believed this would default to
the old status quo while we waited (it did so for every country but the
fundraising chapters).

James

James Alexander
Business Analyst - Fundraising

On 19 December 2011 22:00, K. Peachey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 7:44 AM, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Working for me. Is the LandingCheck thing geotargeted?

> AFAIK yes, to the correct chapter wiki.

Um ... Isn't the [[Donate]] link on the Foundation wiki supposed to
direct people to somewhere we can take their money year-round?

(I discovered it when I was telling someone to GIVE US MONEY and took
a moment to check the link rather than just trust it from memory.)

On 19 December 2011 22:02, James Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the email, this was set up in anticipation of some changes on
> the backend to allow the same link to work for our new WMF pages AND
> chapter pages (right now the links only work with WMF pages from last year
> and pages like Donate actually only went to the WMF) but the rest of the
> changes aren't in place yet and I, falsely, believed this would default to
> the old status quo while we waited (it did so for every country but the
> fundraising chapters).

Works for me now. Thank you :-)

- d.