Donation banner in edit window

Elias Friedman
Where did this new donation banner in the edit window come from?
It's friggin' huge! I'm not sure I like it- it's kind of distracting. Maybe
I can get used to it, though...

--
Elias Friedman A.S., EMT-P ⚕
[hidden email]

Re: Donation banner in edit window

Risker
2008/11/5 Elias Friedman <[hidden email]>

> Where did this new donation banner in the edit window come from?
> It's friggin' huge! I'm not sure I like it- it's kind of distracting. Maybe
> I can get used to it, though...
>
> --

It's not so much the banner's presence that is bothering me, it's the fact
that it's taking forever to load pages now.

Risker

Re: Donation banner in edit window

Eugene van der Pijll
Elias Friedman schreef:
> Where did this new donation banner in the edit window come from?
> It's friggin' huge! I'm not sure I like it- it's kind of distracting. Maybe
> I can get used to it, though...

It's better than last time: at least the banner contains a "[hide]" link
now. Of course, in an ideal world, this link would actually work.

Adding

    #siteNotice {display:none !imortant}

to your monobook.css style sheet should work (if you use the Monobook
skin, of course).

Eugene

Re: Donation banner in edit window

Erik Moeller-4
Hello Elias,

this banner will only be up during our Annual Campaign, from today to
January 15.

Please report any technical issues. We've got a special IRC channel
set up on freenode.net, #wikimedia-2008-fundraiser.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Donation banner in edit window

Risker
Seriously, Erik...it could have waited until tomorrow. Tonight we are
getting the heaviest traffic of the year because of the US election.

2008/11/5 Erik Moeller <[hidden email]>

> Hello Elias,
>
> this banner will only be up during our Annual Campaign, from today to
> January 15.
>
> Please report any technical issues. We've got a special IRC channel
> set up on freenode.net, #wikimedia-2008-fundraiser.
> --

Could it not have waited until tomorrow? Tonight we are getting the heaviest
traffic of the year because of the US election, just compounding the
slowness of the servers. There is a problem when people's browsers time-out
when loading their watchlists.

Risker

2008/11/4 Risker <[hidden email]>:
> Seriously, Erik...it could have waited until tomorrow. Tonight we are
> getting the heaviest traffic of the year because of the US election.

We're looking into the slowness right now - temporarily disabled on
en.wikipedia.org.

--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Donation banner in edit window

Versageek
eh.. maybe there's a method to the madness ;-)

I mean, what better way to put out our plea for funds than on our
overburdened servers as they provide hotly sought-after information to
millions of viewers who might not  otherwise visit?

Versageek

Tuesday, November 4, 2008, 8:54:15 PM, Risker wrote:

R> Seriously, Erik...it could have waited until tomorrow. Tonight we are
R> getting the heaviest traffic of the year because of the US election.

R> 2008/11/5 Erik Moeller <[hidden email]>

>> Hello Elias,
>>
>> this banner will only be up during our Annual Campaign, from today to
>> January 15.
>>
>> Please report any technical issues. We've got a special IRC channel
>> set up on freenode.net, #wikimedia-2008-fundraiser.

Re: Donation banner in edit window

Casey Brown-3
On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 8:50 PM, Eugene van der Pijll
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Adding
>
>    #siteNotice {display:none !imortant}
>
> to your monobook.css style sheet should work (if you use the Monobook
> skin, of course).
>
> Eugene

I also added a gadget that does the same thing -- it hides the
Fundraising notice.  You can turn it on by visiting the "Gadgets" tab
in your preferences.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Donation banner in edit window

Gregory Maxwell

What better time to run it?!@#

> just compounding the
> slowness of the servers. There is a problem when people's browsers time-out
> when loading their watchlists.

It should never make things like watchlists slow, since it should be
served 100% out of the front end caches. If it's causing slowness then
there is a glitch which needs to be fixed and would likely have
resulted in slowness no matter when it was run.

Re: Donation banner in edit window

Mark
Erik Moeller wrote:
> this banner will only be up during our Annual Campaign, from today to
> January 15.

So we'll "only" have to put up with a banner with a distracting
solid-blood-red blob at the top of pages, which doesn't even go away
when you hit "hide", for 2 1/2 months?

I don't mind a banner existing, but I do very much mind that it doesn't
get hidden, or at least collapse into something small and text-only
(without distracting blocks of color!) when I hit the "hide" button. Do
you really think harrassing your volunteers is going to make them donate?

-Mark

2008/11/4 Delirium <[hidden email]>:
> So we'll "only" have to put up with a banner with a distracting
> solid-blood-red blob at the top of pages, which doesn't even go away
> when you hit "hide", for 2 1/2 months?

Oh please. You've been around long enough to know that these things
are always an ongoing, iterative development. We already have a gadget
on en.wp to turn it off completely through user prefs, and we'll
probably do other things like having a smaller collapsed notice for
logged in users. (Note we didn't have any collapsability for logged
out users last year.)

I'm sure there will be lots of layout issues to debug as well. All
help is appreciated.

2008/11/5 Delirium <[hidden email]>

> Erik Moeller wrote:
> > this banner will only be up during our Annual Campaign, from today to
> > January 15.
> >

> So we'll "only" have to put up with a banner with a distracting
> solid-blood-red blob at the top of pages, which doesn't even go away
> when you hit "hide", for 2 1/2 months?
>
> I don't mind a banner existing, but I do very much mind that it doesn't
> get hidden, or at least collapse into something small and text-only
> (without distracting blocks of color!) when I hit the "hide" button. Do
> you really think harrassing your volunteers is going to make them donate?
>
> -Mark
>
> Someone has very kindly written a script that is now available on the
Gadget tab in your preferences.  I appreciate that there may have been
thoughts that tonight would be the perfect opportunity to combine the
fundraising with the anticipated increase in readership. One should keep in
mind, however, that this is the first US presidential election since
Wikipedia has become such a popular source of information, and nobody really
knew what would happen.  We had several articles getting 50K-150K hits/hour.
Instead of reaching hundreds of thousands of potential donors, we
unintentionally shut out a significant number of them.  I will leave it to
others to do the cost/benefit ratio.

Incidentally, thanks to the folks on the technical side of the house for
putting things back together tonight for those of us whose feeds are through
the Florida servers.

Risker

Re: Donation banner in edit window

K. Peachey
At least have a small text only version for people that are signed in
and have selected hide (should hide it completely from the screen to
be honest or call it minimize) because its still bigish and draws your
attention away from the articles.

Re: Donation banner in edit window

Giacomo M-Z
Completely agree with K. Peachey, it is just too distracting, it's a relief
to scroll up and lose it.

Giano

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 7:55 AM, K. Peachey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At least have a small text only version for people that are signed in
> and have selected hide (should hide it completely from the screen to
> be honest or call it minimize) because its still bigish and draws your
> attention away from the articles.

Re: Donation banner in edit window

Tim Starling-2
Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> It should never make things like watchlists slow, since it should be
> served 100% out of the front end caches. If it's causing slowness then
> there is a glitch which needs to be fixed and would likely have
> resulted in slowness no matter when it was run.

There was an overload on the frontend LVS load balancer when we enabled
the fundraising banner at 01:30 UTC, which caused a cascading overload of
the Florida squid servers. We disabled the banner almost immediately, but
it took about an hour to isolate and fix the remaining problems, during
which time the site was slow or down.

Frontend load was redistributed and the banner was phased back in between
04:50 and 05:15 UTC.

There are no fundamental capacity constraints which might warrant
disabling or downsizing the banner. It's just that we encountered
unexpected software problems as we hit new traffic records.

-- Tim Starling

Re: Donation banner in edit window

Al Tally
On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 7:55 AM, K. Peachey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At least have a small text only version for people that are signed in
> and have selected hide (should hide it completely from the screen to
> be honest or call it minimize) because its still bigish and draws your
> attention away from the articles.

Banner doesn't actually hide when hide is clicked, just goes slightly
smaller. It needs to be hidden completely when you click hide - otherwise
it's not really hiding it.

--
Alex
(User:Majorly)

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 4:24 AM, Al Tally <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Banner doesn't actually hide when hide is clicked, just goes slightly
> smaller. It needs to be hidden completely when you click hide - otherwise
> it's not really hiding it.
>
> --
> Alex
> (User:Majorly)

Don't know if you've gotten to that part of the thread, but a gadget has
been added to preferences to get rid of it completely.
Two points about this though:

One: Not only is unfair to unregistered users to have it not be possible for
them to hide the huge thing all the way, just how many of the registered
users are going to know to go to their gadgets? This list and other forums
only reach so many...

Two: There *still* isn't a way to set up a regular monthly donation which
would be my own preference.

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Elias Friedman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 4:24 AM, Al Tally <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>

> > Banner doesn't actually hide when hide is clicked, just goes slightly
> > smaller. It needs to be hidden completely when you click hide - otherwise
> > it's not really hiding it.
> >
> > --
> > Alex
> > (User:Majorly)
>

> Don't know if you've gotten to that part of the thread, but a gadget has
> been added to preferences to get rid of it completely.
> Two points about this though:
>
> One: Not only is unfair to unregistered users to have it not be possible
> for
> them to hide the huge thing all the way, just how many of the registered
> users are going to know to go to their gadgets? This list and other forums
> only reach so many...
>
> Two: There *still* isn't a way to set up a regular monthly donation which
> would be my own preference.

Yes, I got there. I shouldn't have to disable it though. What about people
who don't read this list? What about anons who are regular donators? Why
should they have to suffer this large banner at the top of every page? Anons
don't have gadgets anyway. I preferred it the way it was last time round,
less obstructive.

--
Alex
(User:Majorly)

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 6:52 AM, Elias Friedman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Two: There *still* isn't a way to set up a regular monthly donation which
> would be my own preference.

Are you *sure* this doesn't work?
<http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising/USD/monthly> It looks
like it works for me.  Keep in mind, that that link works through
PayPal -- if you ever want to cancel, you have to do it through them.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Donation banner in edit window

Soxred93@gmail.com
In addition, the donation window screws up the {{pp-semi-vandalism}}
templates, {{UserStatus}} templates, and all of those templates.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama, http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Addshore

X!