Doubts on uploading other's audio files to commons with attribution

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Doubts on uploading other's audio files to commons with attribution

Shrinivasan T
Hello all,

I am working on building a web application, to record audio files,
upload them to commons, link to relevant wiktionary pages.

To achieve this, I am connecting a web application, Lingua-Libre with
commons,wiktionary.

Here is a demo video on this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8pwCC9MqGA&t=13s

When the application is production ready, we can host it on a server.
Contributors can create account, login, spell words.

In backed, I will upload the audio files to commons with my account or
a bot account.

we will get the user's wikipedia user name on the profile, so that we
can mention the same as the "original author" of the file, in the
commons.

If I upload all the files, using my account, the upload count and
metrics for my account will be high.

Is there any way to add the same counts and metrics for the relevant
user, I mention as "author" ?

I want those users should see their contributions counts/files on the commons.
This will encourage the users to contribute, without any issues on
their reports.

How can we achieve this?

Thanks.


--
Regards,
T.Shrinivasan


My Life with GNU/Linux : http://goinggnu.wordpress.com
Free E-Magazine on Free Open Source Software in Tamil : http://kaniyam.com

Get Free Tamil Ebooks for Android, iOS, Kindle, Computer :
http://FreeTamilEbooks.com

_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Doubts on uploading other's audio files to commons with attribution

Pine W
Hi,

You might be interested in hosting this project on Wikimedia Labs (which I believe will soon be renamed Wikimedia Cloud Services). Also, I believe that you can allow users to log into an app with their Wikimedia accounts; I don't know how to do that myself but perhaps someone else on this list does, or you could ask on the Labs mailing list. https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/labs-l

Pine


On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Shrinivasan T <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

I am working on building a web application, to record audio files,
upload them to commons, link to relevant wiktionary pages.

To achieve this, I am connecting a web application, Lingua-Libre with
commons,wiktionary.

Here is a demo video on this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8pwCC9MqGA&t=13s

When the application is production ready, we can host it on a server.
Contributors can create account, login, spell words.

In backed, I will upload the audio files to commons with my account or
a bot account.

we will get the user's wikipedia user name on the profile, so that we
can mention the same as the "original author" of the file, in the
commons.

If I upload all the files, using my account, the upload count and
metrics for my account will be high.

Is there any way to add the same counts and metrics for the relevant
user, I mention as "author" ?

I want those users should see their contributions counts/files on the commons.
This will encourage the users to contribute, without any issues on
their reports.

How can we achieve this?

Thanks.


--
Regards,
T.Shrinivasan


My Life with GNU/Linux : http://goinggnu.wordpress.com
Free E-Magazine on Free Open Source Software in Tamil : http://kaniyam.com

Get Free Tamil Ebooks for Android, iOS, Kindle, Computer :
http://FreeTamilEbooks.com

_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l


_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Doubts on uploading other's audio files to commons with attribution

Shrinivasan T
2017-06-01 2:25 GMT+05:30 Pine W <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> You might be interested in hosting this project on Wikimedia Labs (which I
> believe will soon be renamed Wikimedia Cloud Services). Also, I believe that
> you can allow users to log into an app with their Wikimedia accounts; I
> don't know how to do that myself but perhaps someone else on this list does,
> or you could ask on the Labs mailing list.
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/labs-l

Thanks for the reply. That's a nice idea.

we can use oauth to login with the user's wikipedia account.
But, I think, using a bot account is good for uploading multiple files
regularly.
There will be huge amount of audio files created.

Share your thoughts on using a bot account to upload those files and
using the regular users account to upload them.

Which one is better ?



--
Regards,
T.Shrinivasan


My Life with GNU/Linux : http://goinggnu.wordpress.com
Free E-Magazine on Free Open Source Software in Tamil : http://kaniyam.com

Get Free Tamil Ebooks for Android, iOS, Kindle, Computer :
http://FreeTamilEbooks.com

_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Doubts on uploading other's audio files to commons with attribution

Pine W
I would recommend using the regular user's account. Among other issues, you'd want to be mindful of any potential spam or other problematic content in these uploads, and my guess is that it would be easier to block uploaders who create problems if the uploads are attributed to their individual accounts as directly as possible.

Pine


On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Shrinivasan T <[hidden email]> wrote:
2017-06-01 2:25 GMT+05:30 Pine W <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> You might be interested in hosting this project on Wikimedia Labs (which I
> believe will soon be renamed Wikimedia Cloud Services). Also, I believe that
> you can allow users to log into an app with their Wikimedia accounts; I
> don't know how to do that myself but perhaps someone else on this list does,
> or you could ask on the Labs mailing list.
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/labs-l

Thanks for the reply. That's a nice idea.

we can use oauth to login with the user's wikipedia account.
But, I think, using a bot account is good for uploading multiple files
regularly.
There will be huge amount of audio files created.

Share your thoughts on using a bot account to upload those files and
using the regular users account to upload them.

Which one is better ?



--
Regards,
T.Shrinivasan


My Life with GNU/Linux : http://goinggnu.wordpress.com
Free E-Magazine on Free Open Source Software in Tamil : http://kaniyam.com

Get Free Tamil Ebooks for Android, iOS, Kindle, Computer :
http://FreeTamilEbooks.com

_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l


_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Doubts on uploading other's audio files to commons with attribution

Federico Leva (Nemo)
In reply to this post by Shrinivasan T
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Doubts on uploading other's audio files to commons with attribution

Shrinivasan T
In reply to this post by Pine W
Thanks for your inputs.

Will explore oauth and use it for upload tasks.



--
Regards,
T.Shrinivasan


My Life with GNU/Linux : http://goinggnu.wordpress.com
Free E-Magazine on Free Open Source Software in Tamil : http://kaniyam.com

Get Free Tamil Ebooks for Android, iOS, Kindle, Computer :
http://FreeTamilEbooks.com

_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Doubts on uploading other's audio files to commons with attribution

Asaf Bartov-2
+1 to OAuth.  It's somewhat more effort to set up once, but then it's nothing but benefit.  As was pointed out, it strengthens the attribution, helps patrolling and dealing with abuse, and protects the tool from being disabled (by a blocking admin) because of one spammer.

  A.

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 2:20 PM Shrinivasan T <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for your inputs.

Will explore oauth and use it for upload tasks.



--
Regards,
T.Shrinivasan


My Life with GNU/Linux : http://goinggnu.wordpress.com
Free E-Magazine on Free Open Source Software in Tamil : http://kaniyam.com

Get Free Tamil Ebooks for Android, iOS, Kindle, Computer :
http://FreeTamilEbooks.com

_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l

_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Doubts on uploading other's audio files to commons with attribution

Jean-Philippe Béland

+1 to OAuth and upload on behalf of the user directly. I plan to do lingua libre with First Nations in Canada. And that aspect will be important for us.

JP
VP Wikimedia Canada


On Wed, May 31, 2017, 21:30 Asaf Bartov, <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 to OAuth.  It's somewhat more effort to set up once, but then it's nothing but benefit.  As was pointed out, it strengthens the attribution, helps patrolling and dealing with abuse, and protects the tool from being disabled (by a blocking admin) because of one spammer.

  A.

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 2:20 PM Shrinivasan T <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for your inputs.

Will explore oauth and use it for upload tasks.



--
Regards,
T.Shrinivasan


My Life with GNU/Linux : http://goinggnu.wordpress.com
Free E-Magazine on Free Open Source Software in Tamil : http://kaniyam.com

Get Free Tamil Ebooks for Android, iOS, Kindle, Computer :
http://FreeTamilEbooks.com

_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l

_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Doubts on uploading other's audio files to commons with attribution

Jean-Philippe Béland

On a side note. Will there be anybody at Wikimania in Montreal with the lingua libre software and recording equipment?

Rémy did it at the Wikiconvention in Paris and I think it would be good at Wikimania also, especially that we are inviting speakers of an Aboriginal language, we should capitalize this opportunity.

Thanks,

JP


On Thu, Jun 1, 2017, 13:10 Jean-Philippe Béland, <[hidden email]> wrote:

+1 to OAuth and upload on behalf of the user directly. I plan to do lingua libre with First Nations in Canada. And that aspect will be important for us.

JP
VP Wikimedia Canada


On Wed, May 31, 2017, 21:30 Asaf Bartov, <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 to OAuth.  It's somewhat more effort to set up once, but then it's nothing but benefit.  As was pointed out, it strengthens the attribution, helps patrolling and dealing with abuse, and protects the tool from being disabled (by a blocking admin) because of one spammer.

  A.

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 2:20 PM Shrinivasan T <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for your inputs.

Will explore oauth and use it for upload tasks.



--
Regards,
T.Shrinivasan


My Life with GNU/Linux : http://goinggnu.wordpress.com
Free E-Magazine on Free Open Source Software in Tamil : http://kaniyam.com

Get Free Tamil Ebooks for Android, iOS, Kindle, Computer :
http://FreeTamilEbooks.com

_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l

_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
Loading...