Dumps.wm.o access will be https only

Ariel Glenn WMF
We plan to make this change on April 4 (this coming Monday), redirecting
plain http access to https.

A reminder that our dumps can also be found on our mirror sites, for those
who may have restricted https access.

Ariel Glenn

Re: Dumps.wm.o access will be https only

Petr Bena
Can you give us some justification for this change? It's not like when
downloading dumps you would actually leak some sensitive data...

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 1:03 PM, Ariel Glenn WMF <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We plan to make this change on April 4 (this coming Monday), redirecting
> plain http access to https.
>
> A reminder that our dumps can also be found on our mirror sites, for those
> who may have restricted https access.
>
> Ariel Glenn

Re: Dumps.wm.o access will be https only

Huib Laurens
Aprils fool?

On Friday, 1 April 2016, Petr Bena <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can you give us some justification for this change? It's not like when
> downloading dumps you would actually leak some sensitive data...
>
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 1:03 PM, Ariel Glenn WMF <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > We plan to make this change on April 4 (this coming Monday), redirecting
> > plain http access to https.
> >
> > A reminder that our dumps can also be found on our mirror sites, for
> those
> > who may have restricted https access.
> >
> > Ariel Glenn

Met vriendelijke groet,

Huib Laurens

Re: Dumps.wm.o access will be https only

Dan Andreescu
Cross-posting this announcement since people on Analytics-l tend to use
dumps a lot

basically http access is being redirected to https starting April 4th

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 7:03 AM, Ariel Glenn WMF <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We plan to make this change on April 4 (this coming Monday), redirecting
> plain http access to https.
>
> A reminder that our dumps can also be found on our mirror sites, for those
> who may have restricted https access.
>
> Ariel Glenn

Re: Dumps.wm.o access will be https only

Dan Andreescu
:) I would like to think that April Fools would be a little more extreme
than this

Petr, the data people are downloading from dumps is not sensitive itself,
but a user's private information (such as User Agent, IP, etc. is
vulnerable over plain http).  So the move to https protects that from
snoopers like the NSA.  I don't have much to do with this change, and I
consider it beneficial, but does it cause any problems?

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 10:24 AM, Huib Laurens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Aprils fool?
>
> On Friday, 1 April 2016, Petr Bena <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Can you give us some justification for this change? It's not like when
> > downloading dumps you would actually leak some sensitive data...
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 1:03 PM, Ariel Glenn WMF <[hidden email]
> > <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > > We plan to make this change on April 4 (this coming Monday),
> redirecting
> > > plain http access to https.
> > >
> > > A reminder that our dumps can also be found on our mirror sites, for
> > those
> > > who may have restricted https access.
> > >
> > > Ariel Glenn

> Met vriendelijke groet,
>
> Huib Laurens

Re: Dumps.wm.o access will be https only

Ariel Glenn WMF
This is part of a longstanding general plan to move to https for our
services. You can track  (most of) those items here:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/board/162/ although the specific
task https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T128587 is not listed there.

In particular you might look at a couple of the tasks under 'Big Picture',
i.e.
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T104681 HTTPS Plans (tracking/high level
info) and
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T75953 RFC: MediaWiki HTTPS policy
(though that doesn't directly address dumps).

Ariel

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Petr Bena <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can you give us some justification for this change? It's not like when
> downloading dumps you would actually leak some sensitive data...
>
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 1:03 PM, Ariel Glenn WMF <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > We plan to make this change on April 4 (this coming Monday), redirecting
> > plain http access to https.
> >
> > A reminder that our dumps can also be found on our mirror sites, for
> those
> > who may have restricted https access.
> >
> > Ariel Glenn

Re: Dumps.wm.o access will be https only

Ariel Glenn WMF
This is now live, if a few days later than expected.

Ariel