Dynamic form filling

Giovanni1085
Hi,

I am looking forward a way to add dynamics to my forms.

I would like to do simple things as:
- populate a variable field with a default string if another variable has a specific value or status
- populate a variable field with a string from another field, as the user switches the focus out of the latter field
etc.
For example, assume I have a String field and a checkbox field. I would like to put a standard string like 'checked' into the String field if the checkbox is checked.

Is there a way to do this besides manual JS?

I am sorry if the problem has been already posed, I couldn't find it.

Thanks,

Giovanni

Re: Dynamic form filling

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Giovanni,

There's no standard way to do that.

I should note, though, that the feature you're requesting is unusual. If
the user has already specified this information in one field, why does it
need to be re-specified in a second field?

-Yaron

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 5:16 AM, Giovanni1085 <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking forward a way to add dynamics to my forms.
>
> I would like to do simple things as:
> - populate a variable field with a default string if another variable has a
> specific value or status
> - populate a variable field with a string from another field, as the user
> switches the focus out of the latter field
> etc.
> For example, assume I have a String field and a checkbox field. I would
> like
> to put a standard string like 'checked' into the String field if the
> checkbox is checked.
>
> Is there a way to do this besides manual JS?
>
> I am sorry if the problem has been already posed, I couldn't find it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Giovanni

Re: Dynamic form filling

Giovanni1085
Hi Yaron,

at the most basic level I would like a field to be set to a standard value as it is hidden from a show on select negative clause.
Generally speaking I have the case when some fields have usually (but not always) the same value from another one, so it is safe and faster to auto-fill them as the user fills the first one.

Do you think I have to rely on JS for this? For what I see there is also no standard way to do that, limited to a form page that is.

Thanks for your help,

Giovanni

2014/1/12 Yaron Koren-2 [via Wikimedia] <[hidden email]>
Hi Giovanni,

There's no standard way to do that.

I should note, though, that the feature you're requesting is unusual. If
the user has already specified this information in one field, why does it
need to be re-specified in a second field?

-Yaron

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 5:16 AM, Giovanni1085 <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking forward a way to add dynamics to my forms.
>
> I would like to do simple things as:
> - populate a variable field with a default string if another variable has a
> specific value or status
> - populate a variable field with a string from another field, as the user
> switches the focus out of the latter field
> etc.
> For example, assume I have a String field and a checkbox field. I would
> like
> to put a standard string like 'checked' into the String field if the
> checkbox is checked.
>
> Is there a way to do this besides manual JS?
>
> I am sorry if the problem has been already posed, I couldn't find it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Giovanni

http://wikimedia.7.x6.nabble.com/Dynamic-form-filling-tp5019695p5019862.html
To unsubscribe from Dynamic form filling, click here.
NAML

Re: Dynamic form filling

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Giovanni,

I still don't fully understand the use case, but I would think that you
could instead just have wording for those fields like "Leave this field
blank to set it to the default value". That's certainly the easier
solution, and it's the one done quite a bit in standard web forms - like
forms where you have to enter both your mailing address and billing address.

Yes, you would need to add custom JS of some kind to implement what you're
asking about.

-Yaron

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Giovanni1085
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Yaron,
>
> at the most basic level I would like a field to be set to a standard value
> as it is hidden from a show on select negative clause.
> Generally speaking I have the case when some fields have usually (but not
> always) the same value from another one, so it is safe and faster to
> auto-fill them as the user fills the first one.
>
> Do you think I have to rely on JS for this? For what I see there is also no
> standard way to do that, limited to a form page that is.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Giovanni
>

> 2014/1/12 Yaron Koren-2 [via Wikimedia] <
> [hidden email]
> >

> > Hi Giovanni,
> >
> > There's no standard way to do that.
> >
> > I should note, though, that the feature you're requesting is unusual. If
> > the user has already specified this information in one field, why does it
> > need to be re-specified in a second field?
> >
> > -Yaron
> >

> > On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 5:16 AM, Giovanni1085 <[hidden email]<
> http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=5019862&i=0>>wrote:
> >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am looking forward a way to add dynamics to my forms.
> > >
> > > I would like to do simple things as:
> > > - populate a variable field with a default string if another variable
> > has a
> > > specific value or status
> > > - populate a variable field with a string from another field, as the
> > user
> > > switches the focus out of the latter field
> > > etc.
> > > For example, assume I have a String field and a checkbox field. I would
> > > like
> > > to put a standard string like 'checked' into the String field if the
> > > checkbox is checked.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to do this besides manual JS?
> > >
> > > I am sorry if the problem has been already posed, I couldn't find it.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Giovanni
> > >

> > > --
> > Nabble.com.

> > > CenturyLink Cloud: The Leader in Enterprise Cloud Services.
> > > Learn Why More Businesses Are Choosing CenturyLink Cloud For
> > > Critical Workloads, Development Environments & Everything In Between.
> > > Get a Quote or Start a Free Trial Today.

> > WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com

> > CenturyLink Cloud: The Leader in Enterprise Cloud Services.
> > Learn Why More Businesses Are Choosing CenturyLink Cloud For
> > Critical Workloads, Development Environments & Everything In Between.
> > Get a Quote or Start a Free Trial Today.

> > .
> > NAML<

http://wikimedia.7.x6.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml

Re: Dynamic form filling

Giovanni1085
It's an historical source edition use case: blank means information absent, default values could be 'Unreadable' or 'Uncertain', actual values are put in if the user is sure of what s/he is reading. I could have Unreadable as default, but it's much safer to have a checkbox for that, which also puts the field away in that scenario.

Any pointers to a safe JS option?

<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Yaron,
>
> at the most basic level I would like a field to be set to a standard value
> as it is hidden from a show on select negative clause.
> Generally speaking I have the case when some fields have usually (but not
> always) the same value from another one, so it is safe and faster to
> auto-fill them as the user fills the first one.
>
> Do you think I have to rely on JS for this? For what I see there is also no
> standard way to do that, limited to a form page that is.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Giovanni
>

> 2014/1/12 Yaron Koren-2 [via Wikimedia] <
> [hidden email]
> >

> > Hi Giovanni,
> >
> > There's no standard way to do that.
> >
> > I should note, though, that the feature you're requesting is unusual. If
> > the user has already specified this information in one field, why does it
> > need to be re-specified in a second field?
> >
> > -Yaron
> >

> > On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 5:16 AM, Giovanni1085 <[hidden email]<
> http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=5019862&i=0>>wrote:
> >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am looking forward a way to add dynamics to my forms.
> > >
> > > I would like to do simple things as:
> > > - populate a variable field with a default string if another variable
> > has a
> > > specific value or status
> > > - populate a variable field with a string from another field, as the
> > user
> > > switches the focus out of the latter field
> > > etc.
> > > For example, assume I have a String field and a checkbox field. I would
> > > like
> > > to put a standard string like 'checked' into the String field if the
> > > checkbox is checked.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to do this besides manual JS?
> > >
> > > I am sorry if the problem has been already posed, I couldn't find it.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Giovanni
> > >

> > > --

> > Nabble.com.

> > > CenturyLink Cloud: The Leader in Enterprise Cloud Services.
> > > Learn Why More Businesses Are Choosing CenturyLink Cloud For
> > > Critical Workloads, Development Environments & Everything In Between.
> > > Get a Quote or Start a Free Trial Today.

> > WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com

> > CenturyLink Cloud: The Leader in Enterprise Cloud Services.
> > Learn Why More Businesses Are Choosing CenturyLink Cloud For
> > Critical Workloads, Development Environments & Everything In Between.
> > Get a Quote or Start a Free Trial Today.

http://wikimedia.7.x6.nabble.com/Dynamic-form-filling-tp5019695p5019864.html
To unsubscribe from Dynamic form filling, click here.
NAML

Re: Dynamic form filling

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Giovanni,

It seems to me that you could use a dropdown for the status (i.e.,
"Unreadable", "Uncertain", etc.), and then use the text field for
additional information only. That seems like the easier solution, from both
a technical and a data design standpoint.

No, I can't think of any examples of similar Javascript.

-Yaron