Dyslexia

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,

Between 7 and 10% of a population is dyslexic. For them reading takes much
more effort than it does for the rest of us. As it is, the English
Wikipedia has a font available for people who are dyslexic. It is the
OpenDyslexic font.

It is possible to configure en.wp and many other Wikipedias by clicking
somewhere... There are a few questions I would like to ask:

   - did you know this many people have a problem reading Wikipedia
   - did you know these people can be helped with a different font
   - do you know how to configure Wikipedia to read with the OpenDyslexic
   font
   - do you agree that this should be more obvious and easy
   - what can we do to raise awareness for usability in MediaWiki in
   general and for dyslexia in specific

Thanks,
     GerardM

http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.nl/2013/12/the-best-sinterklaas-gift-ever.html

Re: Dyslexia

Martijn Hoekstra
On Dec 9, 2013 10:41 AM, "Gerard Meijssen" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hoi,
>
> Between 7 and 10% of a population is dyslexic. For them reading takes much
> more effort than it does for the rest of us. As it is, the English
> Wikipedia has a font available for people who are dyslexic. It is the
> OpenDyslexic font.
>
> It is possible to configure en.wp and many other Wikipedias by clicking
> somewhere... There are a few questions I would like to ask:
>
>    - did you know this many people have a problem reading Wikipedia

Yes, though severity of dyslexia varies. I myself have a mild case.

>    - did you know these people can be helped with a different font

Yes, I even have a browser plugin to be able to override fonts

>    - do you know how to configure Wikipedia to read with the OpenDyslexic
>    font

Not from within Wikipedia itself

>    - do you agree that this should be more obvious and easy

It would be especially nice if it were easy to toggle on and off. The open
dyslexic font is visually horribly unappealing, and while it significantly
reduces reading effort and increases reading speed for me, I prefer to only
make the trade off when reading large bodies of text. For smaller bodies of
text I prefer to use default typography, as the absolute gain is not that
large to me personally.

>    - what can we do to raise awareness for usability in MediaWiki in
>    general and for dyslexia in specific
>
> Thanks,
>      GerardM

http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.nl/2013/12/the-best-sinterklaas-gift-ever.html

Re: Dyslexia

Fred Bauder-2

> dyslexic font is visually horribly unappealing

Remarkably irritating font.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Fred

Re: Dyslexia

geni
On 9 December 2013 09:40, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hoi,
>
> Between 7 and 10% of a population is dyslexic. For them reading takes much
> more effort than it does for the rest of us.

If you withdraw that statement now your apology might be accepted.

> As it is, the English
> Wikipedia has a font available for people who are dyslexic. It is the
> OpenDyslexic font.
>
> It is possible to configure en.wp and many other Wikipedias by clicking
> somewhere... There are a few questions I would like to ask:
>
>    - did you know this many people have a problem reading Wikipedia
>    - did you know these people can be helped with a different font

There really isn't much data to support that.

--
geni

Re: Dyslexia

Bob the Wikipedian
I find this idea of a "dyslexia font" quite intriguing...now if only one
could make a font that helps people like myself who have the flavor of
dyslexia known as "surface dyslexia".

Folks with this flavor of dyslexia tend to read words from left to right
rather than as a unit. For example, here is a list of words, which, when
read as quickly as possible, are frequently mispronounced by people with
what I've got, even though we know perfectly well how to say these words:

pint
do
yacht
have
flower
angel
sew
gesture
infrared

English is a terrible language for folks like us... German is far
friendlier. :)

Bob