EN Wikizine - Year: 2008 Week: 14 Number: 93 Extra

EN Wikizine - Year: 2008 Week: 14 Number: 93 Extra

EN Wikizine
  __    __ _ _    _     _
/ / /\ \ (_) | _(_)___(_)_ __   ___
\ \/  \/ / | |/ / |_  / | '_ \ / _ \
  \  /\  /| |   <| |/ /| | | | |  __/
   \/  \/ |_|_|\_\_/___|_|_| |_|\___|
                                     .org

Year: 2008  Week: 14 Number: 93 Extra

An independent internal news bulletin
for the members of the Wikimedia community

//////////////////////////////////////////

=== Foundation ===

[Wikimania 2009] - on March 28, after a long wait since February 28,
the jury that would determine the location of Wikimania 2009 chose
Buenos Aires, Argentina.  This is the first time that a
Spanish-speaking country will harbor the largest gathering of
Wikimedians.  Other bids for Wikimania 2009 were from the cities of
Toronto (Canada), Brisbane (Australia), and Karlsruhe (Germany).

This is the first occasion that the convention will be done in two
languages (English and Spanish) and will be carried out in the
southern hemisphere of the planet, on August 28-30, 2009, according to
information presented by the local organization.

Backing this bid was Wikimedia Argentina (presided by Patrician
Lorente), which did everything to present to the capital of Argentina
as a place for Wikimedians to come and visit.

The jury picked the Latin American city due to the large
Spanish-language projects of the Foundation (wikipedia, wikinoticias,
wikilibros, etc.) and the cultural significance of the city.  The jury
also emphasized the great commitment of the organization and the
activity that has developed Wikimedia Argentina from December 2007.

[Interview] - In a brief interview, Patrician Lorente (President of
Wikimedia Argentina) responded to questions about Buenos Aires as
headquarters of Wikimania 2009.

This interview was arranged and published in the Spanish language
edition of Wikizine ( ES2008-93 extra). A machine translation of it is
in included below.

<babelfish translation>

Wikizine: How arose the restlessness from Wikimania in Wikimedia Argentina?

Patricio: It even arose before organizing to us like Wikimedia
Argentina formally. Our sensation is as much the Spanish-speaking
world as the South hemisphere has, by different reasons, a marginal
participation in the global community of Wikimedia, that does not
correspond with the real participation in the projects. Even let us
remember that the Wikipedia in Spanish second more is visited and than
the Spanish-speaking community, with its overwhelming heterogeneity
and complexity is growing and it is being organized of admirable way.

W: Which were the main problems that were in the organization?

P: We have not had serious problems still, but the hard work just
begins. Until now we have had to work in the development of a project,
from the resolution of the jury of Wikimanía 2009 we will have to take
that project to the practice.

W: What is the hope of this event?
P: We hope to turn to the Spanish-speaking community and the South
hemisphere assets protagonists of the global dynamics of the Wikimedia
projects. We want to show our European and North American friends whom
an anxious community exists here and worker who is perhaps sometimes
invisible for many. Perhaps that the ideal of the free knowledge has a
more meant and particular importance in these places of the world in
which the difficulties to the access to the education and the
knowledge are multiplied for vast social sectors.

W: A message for the readers of Wikizine.
P: That we waited for them in Buenos Aires! The projects brothers of
the Wikipedia already take own flight and is necessary to show them
the community.

</babelfish translation>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buenos Aires
http://wikitravel.org/en/Buenos_Aires
http://www.wikimedia.org.ar - Wikimedia Argentina
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2009/Bids/Buenos_Aires -
Candidatura de Buenos Aires para Wikimania 2009

//////////////////////////////////////////
Editor(s): Dennis Tobar ([[meta:User:Superzerocool]])
Translator: Casey Brown
Thanks to: Patricio Lorente
Construction: Walter
Contact: reply or http://report.wikizine.org
Website: http://www.wikizine.org

Wikizine.org makes no guarantee of accuracy,
validity and especially but not limited to,
correct grammar and spelling. Satisfaction is not guaranteed.
Wikizine.org is published by [[meta:user:Walter]],
and is not a publication of the Wikimedia Foundation.
Wikizine is a irregular publication as long as there is noteworthy
news (and time)
Content is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html