Quantcast

Editing Wikipedia will stop for 30 minutes on two days: please translate the announcement

Editing Wikipedia will stop for 30 minutes on two days: please translate the announcement

Whatamidoing (WMF)/Sherry Snyder
Please translate:  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/Server_switch_2017

You may remember that the Technology department did a major test in April 2016 to see how well they could recover from a major disaster.  During this test, it was not possible to edit Wikipedia or any of the other WMF wikis for about 30 minutes on two days.

They are repeating this exercise this year.  This will affect editors and contributors around the world, at Wikipedias, Wiktionaries, Wikivoyages, Commons, and other WMF sites.  Please translate the main announcement into as many languages as possible.  Last year, we had complete translations into about 40 languages, and partial translations into a couple of other languages.

This should be a relatively quick translation job.  The main change from last year is the dates and times.  I have just checked (by creating part of the German translation), and about 60% of the sentences are identical to last year and stored in translation memory.

(Also, if you read German, please review the parts of the German translation that I copied.  :-)

If you have questions, you can reach me in e-mail or on wiki.[1]

THANK YOU!

--
Sherry Snyder (WhatamIdoing)
Community Liaison, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Editing Wikipedia will stop for 30 minutes on two days: please translate the announcement

Barbara Page
Hello!
The kreyol translation is on your Wikimedia talk page.

Best Regards,

Barbara Page

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Whatamidoing (WMF)/Sherry Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Got it. Thanks.
Barbara Page , Barbara (WVS)

ps James Heilman has asked me to translate med articles into Kreyol. Are you or any other female on the WikiMed Foundation board?

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 4:15 PM, Whatamidoing (WMF)/Sherry Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Quick reminder about this:  We have translations started in about 19 languages.  Last year, we achieved 40.  We currently have completed translations in the system for these language codes:  ar, bn, cs, de, es, fi, fr, it, ja, ko, pl, pt-br, ru, uk, and zh.  Several other languages have been started.

This should be quick to translate (more than half can be copied from last year's), so please take a look at it and make sure that your favorite language is represented.

This message will probably be sent to 600+ wikis (more than 200 languages) around Thursday, 13 April.  The translations may also be posted on the official WMF blog the following week.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 10:50 AM Whatamidoing (WMF)/Sherry Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Johan Jönsson-2
On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Whatamidoing (WMF)/Sherry Snyder
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please translate:  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/Server_switch_2017
>
> You may remember that the Technology department did a major test in April
> 2016 to see how well they could recover from a major disaster.  During this
> test, it was not possible to edit Wikipedia or any of the other WMF wikis
> for about 30 minutes on two days.
>
> They are repeating this exercise this year.  This will affect editors and
> contributors around the world, at Wikipedias, Wiktionaries, Wikivoyages,
> Commons, and other WMF sites.  Please translate the main announcement into
> as many languages as possible.  Last year, we had complete translations into
> about 40 languages, and partial translations into a couple of other
> languages.
>
> This should be a relatively quick translation job.  The main change from
> last year is the dates and times.  I have just checked (by creating part of
> the German translation), and about 60% of the sentences are identical to
> last year and stored in translation memory.

I'll probably deliver this message in ~24 hours, just so you know what
the deadline is.

//Johan Jönsson

Re: Editing Wikipedia will stop for 30 minutes on two days: please translate the announcement

Barbara Page
I have a large block of time today to finish the translation. Can you give me quick link again.Thanks so much.
Your Fan,
Barbara Page

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please translate:  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/Server_switch_2017
>
> You may remember that the Technology department did a major test in April
> 2016 to see how well they could recover from a major disaster.  During this
> test, it was not possible to edit Wikipedia or any of the other WMF wikis
> for about 30 minutes on two days.
>
> They are repeating this exercise this year.  This will affect editors and
> contributors around the world, at Wikipedias, Wiktionaries, Wikivoyages,
> Commons, and other WMF sites.  Please translate the main announcement into
> as many languages as possible.  Last year, we had complete translations into
> about 40 languages, and partial translations into a couple of other
> languages.
>
> This should be a relatively quick translation job.  The main change from
> last year is the dates and times.  I have just checked (by creating part of
> the German translation), and about 60% of the sentences are identical to
> last year and stored in translation memory.

I'll probably deliver this message in ~24 hours, just so you know what
the deadline is.

//Johan Jönsson

Re: Editing Wikipedia will stop for 30 minutes on two days: please translate the announcement

Benoît Evellin (Trizek)

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please translate:  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/Server_switch_2017
>
> You may remember that the Technology department did a major test in April
> 2016 to see how well they could recover from a major disaster.  During this
> test, it was not possible to edit Wikipedia or any of the other WMF wikis
> for about 30 minutes on two days.
>
> They are repeating this exercise this year.  This will affect editors and
> contributors around the world, at Wikipedias, Wiktionaries, Wikivoyages,
> Commons, and other WMF sites.  Please translate the main announcement into
> as many languages as possible.  Last year, we had complete translations into
> about 40 languages, and partial translations into a couple of other
> languages.
>
> This should be a relatively quick translation job.  The main change from
> last year is the dates and times.  I have just checked (by creating part of
> the German translation), and about 60% of the sentences are identical to
> last year and stored in translation memory.

I'll probably deliver this message in ~24 hours, just so you know what
the deadline is.

//Johan Jönsson

Benoît Evellin (Trizek)
Community Liaison

Re: Editing Wikipedia will stop for 30 minutes on two days: please translate the announcement

Barbara Page
Hello,
I have finished but can't translate:
"Non-essential code deployments will not happen." since I don't know what this means. It is probably ok to leave this sentence out of the message. It seems pretty clear without it.
Barbara Page

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 3:10 PM, Barbara Page <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
I have finished but can't translate:
"Non-essential code deployments will not happen." since I don't know what this means. It is probably ok to leave this sentence out of the message. It seems pretty clear without it.
Barbara Page

Every week some new code is deployed. It can be some bug fixes or major changes.
During the  server switch, no code will be deployed, unless if it is some really important code (fix a major security issue, for example).

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please translate:  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/Server_switch_2017
>
> You may remember that the Technology department did a major test in April
> 2016 to see how well they could recover from a major disaster.  During this
> test, it was not possible to edit Wikipedia or any of the other WMF wikis
> for about 30 minutes on two days.
>
> They are repeating this exercise this year.  This will affect editors and
> contributors around the world, at Wikipedias, Wiktionaries, Wikivoyages,
> Commons, and other WMF sites.  Please translate the main announcement into
> as many languages as possible.  Last year, we had complete translations into
> about 40 languages, and partial translations into a couple of other
> languages.
>
> This should be a relatively quick translation job.  The main change from
> last year is the dates and times.  I have just checked (by creating part of
> the German translation), and about 60% of the sentences are identical to
> last year and stored in translation memory.

I'll probably deliver this message in ~24 hours, just so you know what
the deadline is.

//Johan Jönsson

Benoît Evellin (Trizek)
Community Liaison

Benoît Evellin (Trizek)
Community Liaison

Re: Editing Wikipedia will stop for 30 minutes on two days: please translate the announcement

Johan Jönsson-2
On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Whatamidoing (WMF)/Sherry Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please translate:  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/Server_switch_2017

You may remember that the Technology department did a major test in April 2016 to see how well they could recover from a major disaster.  During this test, it was not possible to edit Wikipedia or any of the other WMF wikis for about 30 minutes on two days.

They are repeating this exercise this year.  This will affect editors and contributors around the world, at Wikipedias, Wiktionaries, Wikivoyages, Commons, and other WMF sites.  Please translate the main announcement into as many languages as possible.  Last year, we had complete translations into about 40 languages, and partial translations into a couple of other languages.

This should be a relatively quick translation job.  The main change from last year is the dates and times.  I have just checked (by creating part of the German translation), and about 60% of the sentences are identical to last year and stored in translation memory.

(Also, if you read German, please review the parts of the German translation that I copied.  :-)

If you have questions, you can reach me in e-mail or on wiki.[1]

THANK YOU!

This has now been distributed. Thank you, everyone who helped out with translations.

//Johan Jönsson

Re: Editing Wikipedia will stop for 30 minutes on two days: please translate the announcement

Mathieu Stumpf Guntz

Hi Barbara,

Le 03/04/2017 à 14:39, Barbara Page a écrit :
Got it. Thanks.
Barbara Page , Barbara (WVS)

ps James Heilman has asked me to translate med articles into Kreyol. Are you or any other female on the WikiMed Foundation board?
Could you share the list of article with us?

By the way, do we have some list of "Wikimed article that every Wikipedia should have"?

[...]

Hello and greetings,
I have finished the Haitian translation of the service changes. I'm sorry it took so long and you had to wait. Much of the haitian wikipedya has small messages and instructions and messages that are still in French. Can I start sending translations to you, say, beginning at the end of May?
Best of Regards,
Barbara Page

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello Barbara

Most messages you are referring to are stored on Translatewiki.net, an external website which gathers all translations for MediaWiki and more softwares.

If you need assistance about it, please contact me privately, in English or in French.

Thanks,
Benoît

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 10:59 AM, Barbara Page <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you so much.
Best Regards,
Barbara Page