Editing help

brian.mcneil-2
Piggybacking on the Wikipedia workshops stuff,...

I've got an Australian university using Wikinews as a class assignment
for final-year students.

I could really, really do with an incredibly concise editing guide.
They're not showing a lot of 'clue' when it comes to markup, filling in
templates, and so. But, they're doing a reasonable job contributing
despite that.

Anyone point me at some documents I can get Prof. Blackall to tell them
are 'required reading'?

--
Brian McNeil.

Re: Editing help

Chris Keating-2
Have a look at: http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bookshelf

In particular, the "Welcome to Wikipedia" booklet - it takes people gently through the basics of editing and has a handy quick reference guide. Obviously it's based on Wikipedia not Wikinews but shoul still be helpful!

Chris

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Brian McNeil <[hidden email]> wrote:
Piggybacking on the Wikipedia workshops stuff,...

I've got an Australian university using Wikinews as a class assignment
for final-year students.

I could really, really do with an incredibly concise editing guide.
They're not showing a lot of 'clue' when it comes to markup, filling in
templates, and so. But, they're doing a reasonable job contributing
despite that.

Anyone point me at some documents I can get Prof. Blackall to tell them
are 'required reading'?

--
Brian McNeil.
--
[hidden email] | Wikinews Accredited Reporter.
http://en.wikinews.org | http://www.wikinewsie.org
"Facts don't cease to be facts, but news ceases to be news".

Re: Editing help

Roger Bamkin
The other is the "cheatsheet" ... google will find it for you
Roger

On 14 May 2011 10:05, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

(aka Victuallers)

Re: Editing help

brian.mcneil-2
On Sat, 2011-05-14 at 12:21 +0100, Roger Bamkin wrote:
> The other is the "cheatsheet" ... google will find it for you

Winner!

A cheat sheet is like flypaper for lazy students. :D

> On 14 May 2011 10:05, Chris Keating <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>         Have a look at: http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bookshelf
>

>         In particular, the "Welcome to Wikipedia" booklet - it takes
>         people gently through the basics of editing and has a handy
>         quick reference guide. Obviously it's based on Wikipedia not
>         Wikinews but shoul still be helpful!
>

>         Chris
>

>         On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Brian McNeil
>         <[hidden email]> wrote:
>                 Piggybacking on the Wikipedia workshops stuff,...
>
>                 I've got an Australian university using Wikinews as a
>                 class assignment
>                 for final-year students.
>
>                 I could really, really do with an incredibly concise
>                 editing guide.
>                 They're not showing a lot of 'clue' when it comes to
>                 markup, filling in
>                 templates, and so. But, they're doing a reasonable job
>                 contributing
>                 despite that.
>
>                 Anyone point me at some documents I can get Prof.
>                 Blackall to tell them
>                 are 'required reading'?
>

>                 --
>                 Brian McNeil.
>                 --
>                 [hidden email] | Wikinews Accredited
>                 Reporter.
>                 http://en.wikinews.org | http://www.wikinewsie.org
>                 "Facts don't cease to be facts, but news ceases to be
>                 news".

> Roger Bamkin
> (aka Victuallers)

Brian McNeil.