Editing sessions in the new year

Richard Symonds-3

All,

There’s been an awful lot of fundraiser emails coming in from donors who are asking about how to edit. The following statements aren’t direct quotes – I’ve reworded them for privacy’s sake, but they’re ‘based on a true story’ and indicative of the sort of emails we’re getting:

Some of the emails are very keen:

                “ I know how to use a computer, and was wondering if I could proof read for you!”

                “I can’t donate each month, but maybe I can help you run the Wikipedia?

Some are confused about policies:

                “I’m afraid that if I edit about X, I’ll contravene the second and third pillars, but I’m not sure about the fifth pillar…

Some are just confused about editing:

                “How do I edit a page? This is all very difficult

One or two are genuinely thrilled at the idea of being able to edit:

                “I would love to be part of a thing as amazing as this – my generation would never have dreamt of something as wonderful as wiki. I think Wikipedia is great, and I’d really like you to teach me how I can be a part of it”

Rather than point them straight at some tutorial page on Wikipedia (which may not be helpful), or at OTRS (which tends to be a hit hit-and-miss) I am hoping we can run a ‘learn to edit’ session, advertised to those donors who have expressed an interest, at some point in the new year. It’d be aimed at complete beginners, and probably somewhere with a dense population, like Manchester, Liverpool, Bristol, Glasgow, Birmingham, Cardiff, London etc. Potentially there would be businesswomen, elderly war veterans, foreign students all at the same event: we’d try to target it as much as possible, but that might not be easily possible.

Is there anyone who’d be interested in running this, or helping out at it?

All the best,

Richard Symonds

Office Manager

Wikimedia UK

+44 7885 764 613

--

Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Our Registered Charity No. is 1144513. The Registered Office is 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT.

Wikimedia UK is the local chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: Editing sessions in the new year

HJ Mitchell
This is basically what we've been doing with the Girl Geeks. I'd be more than happy to help out. If possible, it would be good to put it in a location that's easiest to get to for most of the 'customers'. Or perhaps holding several and making sure we're nice and geographically diverse.

Harry

Re: Editing sessions in the new year

James Forrester-5
On 9 December 2011 19:36, HJ Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is basically what we've been doing with the Girl Geeks. I'd be more
> than happy to help out. If possible, it would be good to put it in a
> location that's easiest to get to for most of the 'customers'. Or perhaps
> holding several and making sure we're nice and geographically diverse.

This sounds like a great idea. I'd love to help out running a few of
these in the South-East/London; might be sensible to get a rough feel
of distribution to work out how many (and how widespread) we'd want
them to be...

J.
--
James D. Forrester
[hidden email] | [hidden email]

Re: Editing sessions in the new year

Charles Matthews
On 9 December 2011 20:08, James Forrester <[hidden email]> wrote:

This sounds like a great idea. I'd love to help out running a few of
these in the South-East/London; might be sensible to get a rough feel
of distribution to work out how many (and how widespread) we'd want
them to be...

Central London - the WMUK office - has suitable bookable space in the basement, and Jon Davies thought it might be quite easy to get it on weekends. Just a thought.

Charles

Re: Editing sessions in the new year

HJ Mitchell
My experience of running similar events for WMUK is that if it has WiFi and chairs, we can make it work. A basement could work well if it meets those two criteria.

Harry

Re: Editing sessions in the new year

Thomas Morton
Count me in; love teaching :-)

Tom Morton

On 9 December 2011 22:14, HJ Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:
My experience of running similar events for WMUK is that if it has WiFi and chairs, we can make it work. A basement could work well if it meets those two criteria.

I've seen the chairs; wifi is hearsay.

Charles