Editing special pages / Upload additional file types

Editing special pages / Upload additional file types

zach bass
Hi, I'm somewhat of a n00b to MediaWiki administration and have a couple
questions.  Apologies if these have been answered before, but I checked
the list archives and web and haven't been able to find clear answers.

1.  Is it possible to edit special pages?  It looks like the text for
special pages is stored in the database and is non-editable binary data,
and that these database fields are populated from the file
./languages/Language.php, but changing the text in this file has no
effect--is this data just imported to the database when the Wiki is first
set up?  Is there any way to pull in new changes from this file?

2.  Is it possible to allow uploads of all file types (versus only images,
audio, or video)?  I'd like to permit users to upload PDFs, .xls, .doc,
etc so they can store templates, documentation, etc.

3.  Is there a way to add your own special pages that contain PHP code?
I'd like to embed a PHP tool into a new Wiki page (this page doesn't have
to be editable by users).  I'm pretty sure this is possible, but not sure
what's the best/recommended way.

Thanks!
-zach

Re: Editing special pages / Upload additional file types

Brion Vibber
zach bass wrote:
> Hi, I'm somewhat of a n00b to MediaWiki administration and have a couple
> questions.  Apologies if these have been answered before, but I checked
> the list archives and web and haven't been able to find clear answers.

I believe your questions are answered in the FAQ:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Editing special pages / Upload additional file types

zach bass
Thanks, that answered a couple of my questions, not sure how I missed it.
However, I didn't see any mention of editing special pages.  Am I missing
something obvious? Again, my question was:

1.  Is it possible to edit special pages?  It looks like the text for
special pages is stored in the database and is non-editable binary data,
and that these database fields are populated from the file
./languages/Language.php, but changing the text in this file has no
effect--is this data just imported to the database when the Wiki is first
set up?  Is there any way to pull in new changes from this file?

> zach bass wrote:
>> Hi, I'm somewhat of a n00b to MediaWiki administration and have a couple
>> questions.  Apologies if these have been answered before, but I checked
>> the list archives and web and haven't been able to find clear answers.
>
> I believe your questions are answered in the FAQ:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Editing special pages / Upload additional file types

Rob Church
Which bit of them?

The text used in the interfaces can be edited in the same manner as
any other text; via the MediaWiki namespace. See the
Special:Allmessages page on your wiki for a list of customisable
interface text. If you've changed the LanguageXX.php (or
MessagesXX.php, in 1.6alpha) files, run the rebuildMessages.php
command-line maintenance script to repopulate the database.

The actual behaviour of the special pages is controlled by code in the
includes/SpecialXXX.php files. If you want to change this, you will
have to hack those.

Rob Church

On 16/02/06, zach bass <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, that answered a couple of my questions, not sure how I missed it.
> However, I didn't see any mention of editing special pages.  Am I missing
> something obvious? Again, my question was:
>
> 1.  Is it possible to edit special pages?  It looks like the text for
> special pages is stored in the database and is non-editable binary data,
> and that these database fields are populated from the file
> ./languages/Language.php, but changing the text in this file has no
> effect--is this data just imported to the database when the Wiki is first
> set up?  Is there any way to pull in new changes from this file?
>

> > zach bass wrote:
> >> Hi, I'm somewhat of a n00b to MediaWiki administration and have a couple
> >> questions.  Apologies if these have been answered before, but I checked
> >> the list archives and web and haven't been able to find clear answers.
> >
> > I believe your questions are answered in the FAQ:
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ
> >
> > -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Editing special pages / Upload additional file types

zach bass
Thanks Rob, this is exactly what I was looking for.  Much appreciated!